FiiO X5 beta firmware 2.04beta-2.05beta download and discussion. Improvement of playlist and CUE handling
Jul 2, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #16 of 58
Tried the new FW........

The Play All by Artist is still a regression from 2.02b in the way it lists the song order. Fiio, 2.02b was perfect, please return to that song order for Play All by Artist.

On my Mac I referenced the songs from my mounted TF1 card to create a playlist, replaced the "/Volumes/TF1/” path with the "/TF1/" path and saved to the root of the TF1 card. Updated library and, "no Playlists found". I can browse to the file but that's the error I get when I select it. Same thing through category view.

Then I replaced "/TF1/" with "TF1:" as instructed by Joe (D'OH) and guess what......... "no Playlists found".

Is there a special name required for the Playlist itself that isn't documented? Does it have to match the internal Playlist name format? That would be silly if you ask me.

Right now I can't get it to work with external playlists. Internal playlists generated with the X5 still don't show songs in the order they were added when adding from the Browse by Folder menu.

I'm going back to 2.02b where at least the Play All by Artist was working well.

Also, I might detect slightly more forward mids. Not sure though.

I too found the all tracks by Artist not listing by Album but 1,1,1, 2,2,2, etc. this as per v2.02, so a backward step.

Mind you, I also found the mids further forward, or I suspect the top end is not as bright, either way I like it.  So will stay with v2.04 for the sound; I can live with the track listings issue although it would be great if it was fixed in the near future.

Keep the improvements coming guys.

T

Jul 2, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #17 of 58
The X5 just simply does not have the power to handle large amounts of files....

It takes 5 minutes to load a Playlist I created with 700 songs. I thought the device was frozen but it came back and even then it was slow as molasses. This blows.

If they ever get to putting the database on the SD card I fear it will be the same and this "high capacity" player will become useless/paper weight

Jul 2, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #18 of 58
The X5 just simply does not have the power to handle large amounts of files....

If they ever get to putting the database on the SD card I fear it will be the same and this "high capacity" player will become useless/paper weight

It plays albums flawlessly with a great sound. Would this make it a paperweight even if lists didn't get solved?

Jul 2, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #19 of 58
It plays albums flawlessly with a great sound. Would this make it a paperweight even if lists didn't get solved?
I agree...

What annoyed me initially (library being too small) has now enhanced my experience (folder playback)...

Jul 3, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #20 of 58
The /volumes/TF1/ is the simply the way OSX mounts the drive and this is the path to the TF1 slot in the X5 when connected to my Mac.

I've edited the M3U file to be as you described when I initially posted, but with the / instead of \ as the \ is the Mac default.

I do have the #EXTM3U tag at the beginning of the file as instructed.

I simply gave it a quick test and it didn't work for me. I described what I did and will edit / to \ when I have time. If others want to test this, including Fiio, that would be great. It's just not on my radar now as I've become very busy recently.

Cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow, away for just over a week and a new beta firmware - thanks Fiio :)

The X5 only recognises playlists with backslash "\" as the separator.

So the format is (for example) TF1:\Directory\Track.flac

On linux here, so tested both forward and backslash.

Created an external playlist (m3u) which uses both cards and different directory depths, and it all works well, and maintains the correct track order. Nice work.

However, playlists created internally on the x5 revert to play order based on the file name only.

I know Fiio are working hard on the playlist implementation, but is there any news of the database file limit increase from 5,800?

Thanks for the continuing work, Joe.

Cheers

Jul 3, 2014 at 6:25 AM Post #21 of 58
I hope this playlist feature (proper implementation) won't require a major overhaul of the firmware code.

Jul 3, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #22 of 58

Wow, away for just over a week and a new beta firmware - thanks Fiio :)

The X5 only recognises playlists with backslash "\" as the separator.

So the format is (for example) TF1:\Directory\Track.flac

On linux here, so tested both forward and backslash.

Created an external playlist (m3u) which uses both cards and different directory depths, and it all works well, and maintains the correct track order. Nice work.

However, playlists created internally on the x5 revert to play order based on the file name only.

I know Fiio are working hard on the playlist implementation, but is there any news of the database file limit increase from 5,800?

Thanks for the continuing work, Joe.

Cheers

I've got it working (basically) - but can I get a little help please?

• Does the created playlist file appear in favourites - or are you just opening it by going to folder view?
  • I can't get mine (via folder view) to display tracks in correct order - it's reverting to filename.  Can you copy and paste a dozen or so lines from your m3u file?  Might help me see if there is something missing.  TIA.

Paul

Jul 3, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #23 of 58

I've got it working (basically) - but can I get a little help please?

• Does the created playlist file appear in favourites - or are you just opening it by going to folder view?
  • I can't get mine (via folder view) to display tracks in correct order - it's reverting to filename.  Can you copy and paste a dozen or so lines from your m3u file?  Might help me see if there is something missing.  TIA.

Paul

@Brooko

The created playlist file is only accessible from folder view, as far as I know. I just put mine on the root level of TF1.

Here's mine (if it helps).

#EXTM3U
TF1:\Alva_Noto\Alva_Noto-Unitxt\01.U_07.flac
TF2:\King_Sunny_Ade-Juju_Music\02.Eje_Nlo_Gba_Ara_Mi.flac
TF1:\Brian_Eno\Brian_Eno-Ali_Click\03.Ali_Click_Rural_Doo_Gap_Mix.flac
TF2:\Metro_Area-Metro_Area\04.Pina.flac
TF1:\Can\Can-Saw_Delight\05.Fly_by_Night.flac
TF2:\Max_Richter\Max_Richter-The_Blue_Notebooks\06.Vladimirs_Blues.flac
TF1:\Aphex_Twin\Aphex_Twin-Selected_Ambient_Works_85_92\07.Heliosphan.flac
TF2:\Oval\Oval-Systemisch\08.Oval_Office.flac
TF1:\Harold_Budd\Harold_Budd-Avalon_Sutra\09.A_Walk_in_the_Park_with_Nancy_In_Memory.flac
TF2:\Rhythm_and_Sound\Rhythm_and_Sound-See_Mi_Yah\10.Free_For_All.flac

I used tracks that alternated between cards and also picked tracks so I could easily check whether they were playing in the correct order. Hence the first track is 01.U_07.flac, while the last track is 10.Free_For_All.flac. The naming should not affect play order as the paths are quite different for each track. Play order should follow the list in the file - sequentially from top to bottom - which it does with this firmware (in my tests).

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #24 of 58

@Brooko

The created playlist file is only accessible from folder view, as far as I know. I just put mine on the root level of TF1.

Here's mine (if it helps).

#EXTM3U
TF1:\Alva_Noto\Alva_Noto-Unitxt\01.U_07.flac
TF2:\King_Sunny_Ade-Juju_Music\02.Eje_Nlo_Gba_Ara_Mi.flac
TF1:\Brian_Eno\Brian_Eno-Ali_Click\03.Ali_Click_Rural_Doo_Gap_Mix.flac
TF2:\Metro_Area-Metro_Area\04.Pina.flac
TF1:\Can\Can-Saw_Delight\05.Fly_by_Night.flac
TF2:\Max_Richter\Max_Richter-The_Blue_Notebooks\06.Vladimirs_Blues.flac
TF1:\Aphex_Twin\Aphex_Twin-Selected_Ambient_Works_85_92\07.Heliosphan.flac
TF2:\Oval\Oval-Systemisch\08.Oval_Office.flac
TF1:\Harold_Budd\Harold_Budd-Avalon_Sutra\09.A_Walk_in_the_Park_with_Nancy_In_Memory.flac
TF2:\Rhythm_and_Sound\Rhythm_and_Sound-See_Mi_Yah\10.Free_For_All.flac

I used tracks that alternated between cards and also picked tracks so I could easily check whether they were playing in the correct order. Hence the first track is 01.U_07.flac, while the last track is 10.Free_For_All.flac. The naming should not affect play order as the paths are quite different for each track. Play order should follow the list in the file - sequentially from top to bottom - which it does with this firmware (in my tests).

I hope this helps.

Cheers

It helps explain why yours are in order - you've named them that way.

Unfortunately if this is the only way it's going to work - it's not a viable option, as I'm not renaming files just to get them in order on a playlist.

My naming convention is always Artist (folder) > Album (folder) > track space title [eg the track number on the album]
EG \Seether\One Cold Night\05 Immortality.flac

I'll do some more research on how playlist files set their order.  Maybe there is a tag missing that can be used as a switch.  Thanks for your help.

Jul 4, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #25 of 58
Hi guys

After looking for a suitable portable player to replace my old and very limited ipod classic 80gb, I got my X5 with the E12 (playing through ATH-M50x) in Thailand about a month ago and I could not be happier with my decision!

It is really cool to see direct input from someone like JamesFiio on these forums and its exciting to see how the product is developing :) I'm still on firmware 2.0 but have some minor issues that I believe would improve the overall usability/desirability of the device:

- More Custom EQs: I have my own EQ presets which I use and which are significantly different from the stock presets, but having only one custom option really limits this great feature. Are there any plans to have at least two or three cutsom EQ options? Custom EQ settings was one of the main reasons I was sold on the X5....
- Whenever I skip between songs, there is a one to two second delay after the next song starts playing and before the actual song information updates. Nothing major but very noticeable.
- Option to edit the shortcuts: It would be awesome to be able to access the EQ screen using the fly-out shortcut icons (for example) right from the 'now playing' screen. At the moment I'm having to navigate via the main menu to get there which (ontop of only one custom EQ) becomes very tiresome.

This is all just constructive feedback as the X5 has topped all of the expectations I had of what I thought was available on the market. Ironically I had not heard of Fiio until two weeks before my purchase and I now own the X5 with all the extras along with the E12 and I even got a little E06 to use with my Nexus 7 (second gen) which has a well known volume issue when playing movies. 

Kind regards
Jacques

*apologies - my first post on head-fi and only just noticed I posted to the wrong topic :/ *

Jul 4, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #26 of 58
I reformatted the M3U Playlist as "TF1:\Artist\Album\01 song.m4a" as per others working playlists and I have the #EXTM3U tag on the first line of the file which is saved to the root of TF1 but the X5 simply says playlist file not found. I've done a library update and browsed to the file as well but in both cases the X5 says no Playlist file can be found. My playlist file is named "X5_Playlist_Test_01.m3u".

Am I daft or does this just not work with OSX?

Just to be clear, this is not a deal breaker for me as I usually listen to one album at a time, but man it's bugging me that I can't get it to work. I bet as soon as I get it to work I won't use it. :D just OCD.

- More Custom EQs: I have my own EQ presets which I use and which are significantly different from the stock presets, but having only one custom option really limits this great feature. Are there any plans to have at least two or three cutsom EQ options? Custom EQ settings was one of the main reasons I was sold on the X5....

- Option to edit the shortcuts: It would be awesome to be able to access the EQ screen using the fly-out shortcut icons (for example) right from the 'now playing' screen. At the moment I'm having to navigate via the main menu to get there which (ontop of only one custom EQ) becomes very tiresome.

These are two very good points. Fiio has said quite a while ago that each preset could be changed to be customizable but they haven't implemented it yet. I'm hoping this could happen soon as well.

+1 on the quick access to EQ presets if the above is accomplished.

Jul 4, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #27 of 58

It helps explain why yours are in order - you've named them that way.

Unfortunately if this is the only way it's going to work - it's not a viable option, as I'm not renaming files just to get them in order on a playlist.

My naming convention is always Artist (folder) > Album (folder) > track space title [eg the track number on the album]
EG \Seether\One Cold Night\05 Immortality.flac

I'll do some more research on how playlist files set their order.  Maybe there is a tag missing that can be used as a switch.  Thanks for your help.

You are absolutely right, and my bad. I forgot to engage my brain and follow up with alternate tests. I had used my old test m3u (from the previous beta firmware) which had the files selected specifically to test the order they appeared in.

To all the people who happened to read my previous couple of posts, my apologies for the inaccuracy.

This firmware (2.04b), when reading an m3u file, does not follow the list sequentially (top to bottom), but orders the playlist alphanumerically by the file name.

@x RELIC x

Just a thought: Does your m3u file have a file extension ("m3u" or "m3u8")?? If not, I would suggest adding the extension and see if that helps (m3u8 is for utf-8 encoding).

Cheers

Jul 4, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #28 of 58
@x RELIC x

Just a thought: Does your m3u file have a file extension ("m3u" or "m3u8")?? If not, I would suggest adding the extension and see if that helps (m3u8 is for utf-8 encoding).

Cheers

Yes, it has an .m3u extension. My bad, I edited my post. Got lazy typing the name in my earlier post.

Jul 4, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #29 of 58
Yes, it has an .m3u extension. My bad, I edited my post. Got lazy typing the name in my earlier post.

If you have all your paths as absolute paths, and they correctly locate the files (my bet is yes), then my (actual) bet is that the X5 can't cope with OS-X style line endings. IIRC, OS-X uses Unix style line endings which is different to Windows ones. I can't think of any easy way around that on a Mac.

I wish I could actually test this instead of just guessing, but I only have an X3. Until playlist support comes to the X3 I can't do anything to debug the issues. FIIO: If there is an X3 beta with playlist support hidden away somewhere, just point me at it...

Jul 4, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #30 of 58
  If you have all your paths as absolute paths, and they correctly locate the files (my bet is yes), then my (actual) bet is that the X5 can't cope with OS-X style line endings. IIRC, OS-X uses Unix style line endings which is different to Windows ones. I can't think of any easy way around that on a Mac.

I wish I could actually test this instead of just guessing, but I only have an X3. Until playlist support comes to the X3 I can't do anything to debug the issues. FIIO: If there is an X3 beta with playlist support hidden away somewhere, just point me at it...

I use vim in linux to create my m3u files, and I edited one on a mac this morning at my workplace, and the file was recognised by the X5.

Perhaps x RELIC x could post the contents of a short, complete m3u file?

One other thought, and I have no idea if it has any bearing on the subject, but do the music file names contain spaces? I don't know if this would be a problem with the X5, and haven't tested it as none of my file names include spaces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back