FiiO X5 3rd gen Review Tour starts right now!!---Android based,Mastering Quality Lossless Playback Hi-Res Music Player
Mar 2, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #466 of 677
It's on Amazon, finally?  Why doesn't anyone tell me these things!  You should've come to my apartment and woken me up.  :wink:

Hey wait a second.... I just went to Amazon, and there's nothing there.............................. 
confused_face.gif

Mar 2, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #467 of 677
  It's on Amazon, finally?  Why doesn't anyone tell me these things!  You should've come to my apartment and woken me up.  :wink:

Hey wait a second.... I just went to Amazon, and there's nothing there.............................. 
confused_face.gif

I just ordered mine from Amazon UK. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Generation-Bluetooth-Portable-Player-Titanium/dp/B06WGPCXX7/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1488450119&sr=8-2&keywords=fiio+x5+3rd+gen

Mar 2, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #468 of 677

Hey wait a second.... I just went to Amazon, and there's nothing there.............................. :confused_face:

I just ordered mine from Amazon UK. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Generation-Bluetooth-Portable-Player-Titanium/dp/B06WGPCXX7/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1488450119&sr=8-2&keywords=fiio+x5+3rd+gen

You're the man! Thanks for the post. But $100 more? I'll wait for Amazon US to get it. (if it ever does... )

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #469 of 677
You're the man! Thanks for the post. But $100 more? I'll wait for Amazon US to get it. (if it ever does... )

Backordered on Amazon US. Luckily, I got in on that 14 Tinbel had...patience young grasshoppers, if you build it, they will come...

Sorry, I'm in a movie quoting mood, today.

Mar 2, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #472 of 677
I've used the X5iii on a few occasions today (mostly during my commute), and I must say, they are pretty impressive. I'm using it with my IE80, and boy, the bass rumbles on and on. It definitely has a better kick than my AK240. Nice!

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #474 of 677
Reviewer HELP wanted !!

I am on the review tour.  Mostly very impressed with the unit...thanks James!  Absolutely beautiful sound through my Layla custom.  Will definitely be buying a X5 III.  Will post my review soon.

Now, my problem. 

My .m4a tracks loaded on two micro SD cards as well as on internal storage are not recognised as 'Music' by any other Android player app (the FiiO player app works fine).  Interesting that the provided file manager in the FiiO Android build also doesn't see the files as 'Music'.  This may be an Android 5.1.1 problem not a FiiO issue.  I am not a big Android fan.  I have PM'd FiiO about this but James' boys must be too busy to reply.

I need the .m4a files recognised by a third party app, Spark by Devialet, so that I can WiFi stream to their Phantom speakers.

So, you Head-fi boffins out there, any solutions or what am I doing wrong?

Mar 3, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #475 of 677
  Reviewer HELP wanted !!

I am on the review tour.  Mostly very impressed with the unit...thanks James!  Absolutely beautiful sound through my Layla custom.  Will definitely be buying a X5 III.  Will post my review soon.

Now, my problem. 

My .m4a tracks loaded on two micro SD cards as well as on internal storage are not recognised as 'Music' by any other Android player app (the FiiO player app works fine).  Interesting that the provided file manager in the FiiO Android build also doesn't see the files as 'Music'.  This may be an Android 5.1.1 problem not a FiiO issue.  I am not a big Android fan.  I have PM'd FiiO about this but James' boys must be too busy to reply.

I need the .m4a files recognised by a third party app, Spark by Devialet, so that I can WiFi stream to their Phantom speakers.

Really shouldn't be happening, I never had an issue with m4a files even with my HTC One X back when Android KitKat was cutting edge. Perhaps the other apps aren't scanning the correct folders or don't have access to your sd cards? Make sure you look at permissions and enable SD access. Also have a look at the settings, for example Poweramp was scanning my internal storage music folder instead of my micro sd, I had to manually choose the folders it built the library from. Worst case scenario, you can bulk convert the files through foobar or something, if they're lossless, you won't notice any quality degradation.

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #476 of 677

Really shouldn't be happening, I never had an issue with m4a files even with my HTC One X back when Android KitKat was cutting edge. Perhaps the other apps aren't scanning the correct folders or don't have access to your sd cards? Make sure you look at permissions and enable SD access. Set correctly.  Also have a look at the settings, for example Poweramp was scanning my internal storage music folder instead of my micro sd, I had to manually choose the folders it built the library from. Yep that is also set.  Worst case scenario, you can bulk convert the files through foobar or something, if they're lossless, you won't notice any quality degradation.  You have got to be kidding?  This should not be necessary!  To what format/codec?

Ryan,  many thanks for your response. My reply to your suggestions above in red.  The FiiO music player just searches everywhere I presume and indexes the music files. You would expect any other Android app to do the same, unless FiiO's heavy customisation is having an effect on the underlying Android protocols.  If it was just the Devialet app, I would have said it was their problem.  But it is every music player app I have tried.  Have put out a request to the tech heads at FiiO and Devialet.  It will be interesting to see what comes back.

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #477 of 677
Reviewer HELP wanted !!

Now, my problem. 

The issue isn't an Android issue (directly). M4A is an Apple proprietary codec, and like all things fruit-based, they tend to make it difficult for other people to play with their toys, especially competitors. AFAIK, support for the file type can't be baked directly into Android, so it has to be included in any media playing software you are using. Presumably Fiio have the necessary agreements in place to use m4a in their own music player app - other audiophile Android apps like Poweramp or Neutron Player should be able to play/stream the files as well (They certainly used to, as I have used both on my phone to do that until I switched to being a regular DAP listener).

Probably best to check the supported file tips on a few mainstream players that will also stream to your speakers?

Hope that helps?

Mar 3, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #478 of 677
The issue isn't an Android issue (directly). M4A is an Apple proprietary codec, and like all things fruit-based, they tend to make it difficult for other people to play with their toys, especially competitors. AFAIK, support for the file type can't be baked directly into Android, so it has to be included in any media playing software you are using. Presumably Fiio have the necessary agreements in place to use m4a in their own music player app - other audiophile Android apps like Poweramp or Neutron Player should be able to play/stream the files as well (They certainly used to, as I have used both on my phone to do that until I switched to being a regular DAP listener).

Probably best to check the supported file tips on a few mainstream players that will also stream to your speakers?

Hope that helps?

Jackpot77,  (the jubilee is 7 x 7 plus 1)

Yep I suspected something like your answer was the problem.  The thing is that Devialet has developed an app that should be able to read 'the fruit's .m4a codec.  At least that's what they claim if not directly then by implication in that the Android Spark app has Apple AirPlay support.

So... it's going to be interesting to see how Devialet/Phantom people responds to the query.

Many thanks for your answer. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back