Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Dec 20, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #15,496 of 15,897
Can someone recommend an app to sync my X5 iii with iTunes other than iSyncr? Every since the Mac Catalina update, i can't get iSyncr to work correctly. (I can sync short playlists over wifi, but that doesn't allow me to specify which SD card to sync to. I can't get it to sync at all over USB. I usually get an error loading iTunes, or I get to the "Beginning to Copy Musil Files" and it freezes. I've emailed with JRT and they don't seem to have answers. they say that Catalina responds too slowly and the App times out.)

Dec 20, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #15,497 of 15,897
Can someone recommend an app to sync my X5 iii with iTunes other than iSyncr? Every since the Mac Catalina update, i can't get iSyncr to work correctly. (I can sync short playlists over wifi, but that doesn't allow me to specify which SD card to sync to. I can't get it to sync at all over USB. I usually get an error loading iTunes, or I get to the "Beginning to Copy Musil Files" and it freezes. I've emailed with JRT and they don't seem to have answers. they say that Catalina responds too slowly and the App times out.)

I’d give Dougscripts https://dougscripts.com/itunes/index.php
a look. The most recent script https://dougscripts.com/itunes/2019/12/new-select-files-and-convert-v1-0/ might be helpful. Take a look and I think you’ll find something that suits your need.

*Edit* https://dougscripts.com/apps/m3unifyapp.php
looks like in addition to the free scripts there’s a $5 app he made that might fit the bill.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #15,499 of 15,897

True music lovers and engineers (not audiophile snubs) have known forever that the best way to improve in ANY sound system is to have good graphic equalizer. Good quality dual channel 32 band eq's are very inexpensive in today's market. You can get an excellent one for under $150.00. Users know that there is no "perfect" room and thus not all frequencies will reach the ear at the same level - an EQ allows you to correct for room and equipment deficiencies - mostly room.

Now... just thing of your ear as a "room". No two people hear the same and as you age, your ear's develop deficiencies that can be compensated for with an EQ. If you have multiple headphones - you should setup and EQ setting for each.

Good luck!

Dec 21, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #15,500 of 15,897
Alot of players have the ability to convert files to DSD for playback. Does the MKiii do this without third party apps or software? If so, how?

Thanks!
Newer M11 has it stock with its FiiO music player, no such feature has come stock to X5iii. Neutron has a DSD Upsampling feature. Options for DSD64 & DSD128, & a multithreaded processing option. X5iii cannot handle DSD128 upsampling w/ MP on/off. Optimally you’d want a 64bit CPU, which X5iii does not have. Works well enough* to my ears with 32bit and DSD64, dithering turned on. Really only necessary if you’re EQing or using the effects chain.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #15,502 of 15,897
Thank you very much! I followed your directions and pulled this off without any trouble this morning. I'm very impressed!
Awesome! Thanks for the dopamine hit :wink:
A guide is the most technical thing I’m capable of but I’m happy it set you on your way to enjoying @prispewnic & @jkbuha ‘s mighty efforts.

Dec 22, 2019 at 7:23 AM Post #15,503 of 15,897
Newer M11 has it stock with its FiiO music player, no such feature has come stock to X5iii. Neutron has a DSD Upsampling feature. Options for DSD64 & DSD128, & a multithreaded processing option. X5iii cannot handle DSD128 upsampling w/ MP on/off. Optimally you’d want a 64bit CPU, which X5iii does not have. Works well enough* to my ears with 32bit and DSD64, dithering turned on. Really only necessary if you’re EQing or using the effects chain.

I've optimised the runtime NEON compilation as much as possible to get the best performance out of Neutron and UAPP, but now we're running at the limit of what the AK4490 is capable of. Turns out whilst it can (maybe) handle DSD128, there isn't a pinout to support DSD256, so FiiO is right in saying the X5 doesn't support it. Question though is: can anyone perceive any audible difference between DSD64/128/256? We're approaching again the ludicrousness of comparing the tannins of a $100 vs $1000 french red...

Dec 22, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #15,504 of 15,897
I've optimised the runtime NEON compilation as much as possible to get the best performance out of Neutron and UAPP, but now we're running at the limit of what the AK4490 is capable of. Turns out whilst it can (maybe) handle DSD128, there isn't a pinout to support DSD256, so FiiO is right in saying the X5 doesn't support it. Question though is: can anyone perceive any audible difference between DSD64/128/256? We're approaching again the ludicrousness of comparing the tannins of a $100 vs $1000 french red...
By way of wikipedia citations this study caught my eye (https://www.researchgate.net/public...ution_recordings_in_PCM_and_DSD_audio_formats). Statistically significant preference towards DSD overall, but no statistically significant difference between DSD rates. Figures, we're talking about clock timed at 2.8, 5.6 and 11.2 MILLION hertz.
I'd still say give me my favorite glass of 24-44.1 over a crate of DSD256 that's never gonna float my boat anyway.

Dec 22, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #15,505 of 15,897

Once in a blue moon when I really like something and I want to get the DSD version if it's available, I tend to get the DSD128, which the X5III can handle. I figure WTH, might as well go for the 24/176 equivalent if you're spending DSD bucks. I have a few recordings at DSD64 and DSD256 and a couple of DSD512's. I truly don't hear the difference between 128 and higher rates but, and I'm probably imagining it, I think I hear a bit more clarity at 128 and above vs DSD64.

DSD256 and 512 just seem to me like overkill unless you have money to burn or maybe have really high-end equipment. It's probably equally likely that, in a addition to really liking the particular recording, I'll buy the DSD download because, in addition to the FiiO DAP, I have a few portable amps that can play DSD and you need to exercise those DSD muscles every so often!

Dec 27, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #15,507 of 15,897
after installing root, my bootup is stuck on the fidelizer logo, should i reboot or leave it be?

“Press 'Install'
-navigate to sdcard/Downloads
-select the SuperSU zip
-swipe to install
-then hit 'wipe dalvik/cache'

Go back home in TWRP
-Go to advanced 'Fix Permissions' then 'Reboot System' (do not check any SE Linux options here)
-If done right you should not see the 'It appears your device is not rooted, would you like to install SuperSU' notice.
-If it does appear, player will hang on reboot.
-Remedy this by doing the SuperSU swipe to install & dalvik/cache wipe TWICE. Then fix permissions (Do both twice, i.e. Install->wipe->Install->wipe->fix permissions)”

Did this happen?

Dec 30, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #15,508 of 15,897
Has anyone tried the iFi iEMatch with their balanced output lately?

I'd recently upgraded to LC-2.5C mmcx cable for my F9 Pro's (mostly for the aesthetic and durability upgrade over the stock cable), but still found the occasional hiss in quiet sections/transitions distracting here and there.

F9 Pro's aren't particular low impedance (rated at 28 ohms) and the balanced output impedance of X5iii is rated at only 3 ohms.

Fortunately I'm not paying full price for the iEMatch that's on its way, but wanted to know if anyone with similar impedance IEMs had noticed any improvements, thanks.

Dec 30, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #15,509 of 15,897
Can anybody able confirm the version of the Fiio Music App for the X5 ? The player is in the Stock Firmware.Mine is Fiio Music 1.1.3 and the FW 1.2.5.

My que here is it the max version for X5-3 ?

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #15,510 of 15,897
Can anybody able confirm the version of the Fiio Music App for the X5 ? The player is in the Stock Firmware.Mine is Fiio Music 1.1.3 and the FW 1.2.5.

My que here is it the max version for X5-3 ?
Here you can find a download to the X series version of FiiO music app, currently at 1.1.6 https://www.fiio.com/newsinfo/342482.html.
Just put on internal storage and install the apk over existing installation.
There was a 1.1.7 apk that I saw floating around 4PDA but I cannot find an official page or press release (in English) for this version. Searching for it is difficult because FiiO music versions are basically drowned out in search results with firmware versions (1.1.7)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back