Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Dec 11, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #15,451 of 15,897
view

I dont know if I am posting this right its supposed to be the fiio with viper working through headphones.

Dec 11, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #15,453 of 15,897
Hi everyone, I am looking to get a Dap and saw that the fiio x3 it at $200 atm which is a reasonable price. This will be my first Dap and I will also be hooking it up with line out to my modest hi-fi setup using it as a dac/player. Is the x3 still a good option or should I look alsewhere. I would appreciate some feedback here or by pm.
Thanks

Dec 11, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #15,454 of 15,897
Dec 11, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #15,455 of 15,897
Great job. Would be worth documenting every step for those interested in trying it out...

Well I wanted to make sure it was one thing or another so I went and wiped system started over doing one thing at a time which is normally 5 minutes not on that piece lol. It's so slow on reboots starting. Well basically it was just copied my audio config policy from my Nexus 6 on lollipop take a rename the fiio Bak for backup or copy replace it reboot. Also install viper 2.3.4 apk then super driver because the fiio already uses the super driver freeze musicfx and fiio app use Poweramp or neutron. The sound is better but it's still very werid maybe you can figure out how the config policy should look I'll be right back

Dec 11, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #15,456 of 15,897
Fiio with the bs right now. Audio config file replace yours but make a backup install the viper 2.3.4 apk and busybox. Freeze musicFX and fiio music app with viper. Then go into device/ system/etc folder and replace the audio config policy. SQ driver is installed but the app will say install it again. I ran a log cat and it is the SQ driver. After rebooting turn it on and try the headphone surround sound. I just took this off my nexus 6 on lollipop and it worked. I thought it was aniur sound mod to but it wasnt.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IsBQnV50ZS92qt5zB6PWhT3pBdc-pqlo/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #15,457 of 15,897
Im not going to lie I dont know why but its better than before but I still prefer my S7 I believe it has to do with the fact the IRS files work and the kernel sound mod with the samsung sound files. Also the logcat shows fiio music app checking for payment because I bought everything but after freezing it it shouldnt matter but im just letting you know. It will give you everything free I believe.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #15,458 of 15,897
Another side note looking at are FIIo config policy and files it shows we have 16bit 48000k usb HW nodes. That means they lied we only have high resolution headphones. Anyone want to buy another one. lol USB DAC is not 24bit is what im saying, The software says 16bit. Not my file from my nexus go look at your files with root explorer audio config effects and policy.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #15,460 of 15,897
sometimes i'm not sure what i'm reading here
are people saying a samsung s7 is a worthy music player?
that thing is the very reason i got a fiio???!?

Do you have the snapdragon version unrooted? I have the international Exynos chip so I can root it. If you have the same one try Black Diamond Note fan edition Pie oneUI rom with a custom kernel. It sounds killer with magisk viper and IRS files that actually work I paid the 10 bucks for the good ones.

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #15,462 of 15,897
Hi everyone, I am looking to get a Dap and saw that the fiio x3 it at $200 atm which is a reasonable price. This will be my first Dap and I will also be hooking it up with line out to my modest hi-fi setup using it as a dac/player. Is the x3 still a good option or should I look alsewhere. I would appreciate some feedback here or by pm.
Thanks
I use it exclusively connected to fiio's DK1 docking station and it works and sounds great. I did find it somewhat frustrating as a carry around dap, I found it a bit slow and a bit quirky. I replaced it with a FIIO M11 for my carry around which i find near perfect for my usage

fiio X5 III and DK1
20181213_134317.jpg
My bad I was thinking X5III when you clearly sad X3

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #15,463 of 15,897
I use it exclusively connected to fiio's DK1 docking station and it works and sounds great. I did find it somewhat frustrating as a carry around dap, I found it a bit slow and a bit quirky. I replaced it with a FIIO M11 for my carry around which i find near perfect for my usage

fiio X3 III and DK1

Very nice I bet the M11 is perfect android needs about 3gb of ram to run smooth and of course a faster chip. Lets hear what is your setup there? Looks expensive lol

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #15,464 of 15,897
Very nice I bet the M11 is perfect android needs about 3gb of ram to run smooth and of course a faster chip. Lets hear what is your setup there? Looks expensive lol
Thanks, It wasnt to expensive at least not compared to what i see on this site. my setup pictured here is:
  1. Fiio X5III,
  2. Fiio DK docking station,
  3. Schiit Asguard 2 amp,
  4. Schiit loki tone control,
  5. massdrop/Senn 6xx,
  6. and massdrop/hifimann HE 4xx.
I really enjoy this setup especially with the HE4xx Headphone, tweaked a bit with the Schitt loki

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #15,465 of 15,897
Another side note looking at are FIIo config policy and files it shows we have 16bit 48000k usb HW nodes. That means they lied we only have high resolution headphones. Anyone want to buy another one. lol USB DAC is not 24bit is what im saying, The software says 16bit. Not my file from my nexus go look at your files with root explorer audio config effects and policy.

Initially I thought so too, but we ran a lot of experiments here and on 4PDA and the tests do indeed show 192/384kHz max rates.
Look at this post here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fii...dual-card-slot.828402/page-1013#post-15047876

If you've copied it from your nexus 6 you'd need to manually patch in the high bitrate codecs. Suggest you do a diff merge (or send me the files you've changed and I'll do it for you). Then run dumpsys media.audio_flinger on all media permutations - especially with v4a disabled. Remember - the max sampling rate of v4a is 48000Hz so everything is downsampled through that driver. Doesn't mean it sounds any worse though... in fact through most (streamed) audio it will sound more coloured.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back