Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jun 25, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #13,651 of 15,897
Line-out is usually mostly just Voltage with very little Current. Not advisable for optimal sound quality even with a variable line-out, although not all devices behave this way.

Also, depending on the transducer being driven the fixed line-out setting could easily be too much for your headphone/IEM and/or hearing.

Jun 25, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #13,652 of 15,897
Can you shed some light. With the M50x, I have to turn up the volume 75-85(High G) on X5III to get a desirable powerful listening experience. I don't know if it is normal for X5iii to reach a level of power at such a high volume. I just hope that output or amp in my X5iii is normal. Anyone with a similar experience would assure me that it is a normal trait in X5III
Don't worry about the numbers showing to achieve your listening volume, 85 volume on the X5iii can be totally different than another DAP. If 85 is comfortable to you, then that's where you adjust it to. Some other unit could blow out your eardrums, or barely make a dent.

Jun 26, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #13,654 of 15,897
Hermmm. :angry: Kind of a convenient way of not having to ever live up to releasing bug fix updates if the product goes tits up shortly after a year of service. Reeks of planned obsolescence in what has already proven itself specious at best: the classic cheater's model. A little joy, a lot of frustration: No integrity.
This sounds like the kind of BS:poop: Sony pulls all the time with any of their non top-tier products. Doesn't matter if it's the only viable way to release an affordable product these days, it's still an unforgivable violation. Rest assured if this happens to my X5iii, I will be reporting it here. Fiio will then be on the same list that Sony has been on for nearly two decades in my book: Blacklisted forever. Vote with your wallet and stay informed if you want quality folks!

Ummm - unless you have proof of a lot of units failing after 12 months - then you have a single statistic - and that does not make a trend. So drawing a conclusion from it is disingenuous at best.

Jun 26, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #13,655 of 15,897
Generally speaking, no :)

Connecting any headphone or IEM to a Line out can burn it.

Um - no. Check the specs and then you can know for sure. FiiO very kindly publishes theirs. The X5iii outputs (via lineout) 1.8 Vrms (or about 5.1 Vp-p). They don't quote current, but as Relic points out - it'll usually be low fixed current. The line-out voltage is just over half of the voltage the X5iii will output at full volume via the SE headphone out. Its not going to melt any drivers.

That is a risky question, but generally the line out doesn't have much power, but has a lot

Taken from Wikipedia.
Connecting a low-impedance load such as a loudspeaker (usually 4 to 8 Ω) to a line out will essentially short circuit the output circuit. Such loads are around 1/1000 the impedance a line out is designed to drive, so the line out is usually not designed to source the current that would be drawn by a 4 to 8 ohm load at normal line out signal voltages. The result will be very weak sound from the speaker and possibly a damaged line out circuit.

Headphone outputs and line outputs are sometimes confused. Different make and model headphones have widely varying impedances, from as little as 20 Ω to a few hundred ohms; the lowest of these will have results similar to a speaker, while the highest may work acceptably if the line out impedance is low enough and the headphones are sensitive enough.

Conversely, a headphone output generally has a source impedance of only a few ohms (to provide a bridging connection with 32 ohm headphones) and will easily drive a line input.

Basically, I'd avoid connecting a headphone or IEM to line out. Even with Variable Line Out, there have been some people complaining about a blown driver.

The quote has nothing to do with headphones. They're talking about speakers. And putting that sort of low impedance load across a kilo-ohm line-out won't generally damage the speakers, but it could short the amp.

Anybody. Is it safe to connect a headphone directly to the X5iii line out without an external amp to experience a different sonic character?
You should be able to do it - but I wouldn't. The issue is that the line-out wasn't designed to output to headphones. It has a 10 Kohm output impedance, and will be current limited. Despite the loudness (because of the high voltage), its unlikely to power any load properly because its not designed to. A line-out is a low noise output designed for use with another amp. You might call the result a different sound - but why would you intentionally under power a pair of headphones. And if they are low enough impedance (unlikely), you could damage the amp on the X5iii.

Just use the headphone out, and engage EQ or Viper if you want a different sound :wink:

Jun 26, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #13,657 of 15,897
I'm very happy with my Hiby R6, the performance is night and day compared with my Fiio X5III

We're talking preference here - and I guess it depends on what you are after. I hope I can try the R6 at some stage. It sounds like quite the DAP. I think javre76 obviously enjoys his X5iii - but I don't think I'd be making the claims of "best in price range" like he did - as everyone's expectations are different. If you like a warm sound - the X5iii could suit better (for example).

We should also note that the R6 is not just a little more expensive. $480 on Indiegogo = maybe $550+ at retail. X5iii is approx $350 now. Thats a DAP and a decent pair of IEMs.

Probably best to leave the e-peening to others :wink: Are you going to review the R6? Would be ideal for others to get a detailed idea of comparisons against the X5iii and other DAPs :)

Jun 26, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #13,658 of 15,897
We're talking preference here - and I guess it depends on what you are after. I hope I can try the R6 at some stage. It sounds like quite the DAP. I think javre76 obviously enjoys his X5iii - but I don't think I'd be making the claims of "best in price range" like he did - as everyone's expectations are different. If you like a warm sound - the X5iii could suit better (for example).

We should also note that the R6 is not just a little more expensive. $480 on Indiegogo = maybe $550+ at retail. X5iii is approx $350 now. Thats a DAP and a decent pair of IEMs.

Probably best to leave the e-peening to others :wink: Are you going to review the R6? Would be ideal for others to get a detailed idea of comparisons against the X5iii and other DAPs :)

As you have said, 350 now, when I bought it last years it was 450 euro so no big diference

Jun 26, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #13,659 of 15,897
Um - no. Check the specs and then you can know for sure. FiiO very kindly publishes theirs. The X5iii outputs (via lineout) 1.8 Vrms (or about 5.1 Vp-p). They don't quote current, but as Relic points out - it'll usually be low fixed current. The line-out voltage is just over half of the voltage the X5iii will output at full volume via the SE headphone out. Its not going to melt any drivers.

The quote has nothing to do with headphones. They're talking about speakers. And putting that sort of low impedance load across a kilo-ohm line-out won't generally damage the speakers, but it could short the amp.

You should be able to do it - but I wouldn't. The issue is that the line-out wasn't designed to output to headphones. It has a 10 Kohm output impedance, and will be current limited. Despite the loudness (because of the high voltage), its unlikely to power any load properly because its not designed to. A line-out is a low noise output designed for use with another amp. You might call the result a different sound - but why would you intentionally under power a pair of headphones. And if they are low enough impedance (unlikely), you could damage the amp on the X5iii.

Just use the headphone out, and engage EQ or Viper if you want a different sound :wink:

So the bottom line remains, you don't want to connect headphones to the line out.

Jun 26, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #13,660 of 15,897
Hi guys, I got myself a Cayin N3 recently and thinking of upgrading already. Can someone comment on how future-proof the X5iii will be running Android 5.1? One of the most useful feature for me would be using it with Spotify and knowing how newer versions of apps will eventually not work with older OS versions, do you guys worry about that? Android 5.1 is quite old and it will come to a point where new Spotify app will not work with 5.1, I am thinking.

Jun 26, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #13,661 of 15,897
Hi guys, I got myself a Cayin N3 recently and thinking of upgrading already. Can someone comment on how future-proof the X5iii will be running Android 5.1? One of the most useful feature for me would be using it with Spotify and knowing how newer versions of apps will eventually not work with older OS versions, do you guys worry about that? Android 5.1 is quite old and it will come to a point where new Spotify app will not work with 5.1, I am thinking.
If you want a more future proof Dap then either get the Ibasso DX150/DX200 or the HiBy R6

Since you just got the N3, why not wait and see what the future holds?

Jun 26, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #13,662 of 15,897
Competitive? Yes
Unbeatable? No

Yes, you are right, I used a hyperbole, my bad. It just gets really annoying when there is so much complaining from one person about a really good device, if you do not like it, return it or sell it. There are good competitors out there, Cayin N5ii comes to mind... with software issues as well, but on the same category and same hardware quality.

I consider my X5ii one of the best offerings in its class (not the only one, I stand corrected) and I am ok with what it offers vs. what I paid for it, that is all.

Jun 26, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #13,663 of 15,897
Lyrics! Any alternative sources for lyrics that actually work with Fiio music app? The server they use has less than 10% of the lyrics I request. Classic Jimi Hendrix songs don't show up? How old am I or how clueless is the service they are using?

Also, search function on the player for songs. I searched for a song "Cry" and it comes up about 6th on a list of songs, how can it be anything but #1 on the search results? Fiio needs to hook up with a native speaking English programmer when they write music apps.

Jun 27, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #13,664 of 15,897
Lyrics! Any alternative sources for lyrics that actually work with Fiio music app? The server they use has less than 10% of the lyrics I request. Classic Jimi Hendrix songs don't show up? How old am I or how clueless is the service they are using?

Also, search function on the player for songs. I searched for a song "Cry" and it comes up about 6th on a list of songs, how can it be anything but #1 on the search results? Fiio needs to hook up with a native speaking English programmer when they write music apps.
Dear friend,

Do you mean that 'cry' is included in 6 music files, but from search only one could be found? Those files have all been added to the media library, right?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 27, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #13,665 of 15,897
I think he's saying the song "Cry" should show up first. Thats just his preference - personally for me as long as it shows up, I don't care. Sometimes I'm looking for albums, sometimes I'm looking for artists, sometimes I'm looking for tracks. As along as all references in the search show up - I'm good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back