Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jun 22, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #13,636 of 15,899
Of course not. My point is, they tout everything good it can do, but the product itself is hampered by numerous issues that affect its performance, such that the device does not perform as advertised. Or, to be more precise, it marginally performs as advertised, but adds in a good dose of headache-inducing frustration. I didn't know I was paying for the latter when I signed up.

Here, I respectfully challenge you to find a DAC with the same features in the same tier price (even one above). Yes, the X5iii has shortcomings, but it is unbeatable at this price.

Jun 22, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #13,637 of 15,899
Here, I respectfully challenge you to find a DAC with the same features in the same tier price (even one above). Yes, the X5iii has shortcomings, but it is unbeatable at this price.
Thanks, but I'll pass. Really, this insistent defense of a device's shortcomings by its apologists is nearly as annoying as the shortcomings being defended. I've been admonished to "be happy" or to "come on!" enough times to realize there's nothing more to be gained by being subscribed to this discussion. It's time for me to move on.

Jun 22, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #13,638 of 15,899
Thanks, but I'll pass. Really, this insistent defense of a device's shortcomings by its apologists is nearly as annoying as the shortcomings being defended. I've been admonished to "be happy" or to "come on!" enough times to realize there's nothing more to be gained by being subscribed to this discussion. It's time for me to move on.

Sounds good!

Jun 22, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #13,639 of 15,899

I guess its often the difference in usage patterns from person to person, and I can see where your frustrations are (even if they don't apply to me personally). Please feel free to PM me if you do find a perfect DAP (for your uses), because it would help me as a reviewer to understand the differences in what drives other peoples requirements. The more knowledge I can gain - the better balance I'll have.

I'd also like to thank you for your input - its been insightful, and constructive. From my POV, I don't have a lot of the issues you have - and this doesn't make me an apologist or fanboy (we get annoyed by some labels/behaviour too) - it just makes my requirements and use different to others. Good luck with your search - and the request was real - if you find something, please let me know.

Paul

Jun 22, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #13,640 of 15,899
Competitive? Yes
Unbeatable? No

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #13,641 of 15,899
Well mine decided to die one month after the 1 year warranty... Great! Just ordered the Sony ZX300, at least no more headaches with this one... Hope yours gonna work longer than mine!
Hermmm. :angry: Kind of a convenient way of not having to ever live up to releasing bug fix updates if the product goes tits up shortly after a year of service. Reeks of planned obsolescence in what has already proven itself specious at best: the classic cheater's model. A little joy, a lot of frustration: No integrity.
This sounds like the kind of BS:poop: Sony pulls all the time with any of their non top-tier products. Doesn't matter if it's the only viable way to release an affordable product these days, it's still an unforgivable violation. Rest assured if this happens to my X5iii, I will be reporting it here. Fiio will then be on the same list that Sony has been on for nearly two decades in my book: Blacklisted forever. Vote with your wallet and stay informed if you want quality folks!

Jun 25, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #13,645 of 15,899
Jun 25, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #13,646 of 15,899
Hermmm. :angry: Kind of a convenient way of not having to ever live up to releasing bug fix updates if the product goes tits up shortly after a year of service. Reeks of planned obsolescence in what has already proven itself specious at best: the classic cheater's model. A little joy, a lot of frustration: No integrity.
This sounds like the kind of BS:poop: Sony pulls all the time with any of their non top-tier products. Doesn't matter if it's the only viable way to release an affordable product these days, it's still an unforgivable violation. Rest assured if this happens to my X5iii, I will be reporting it here. Fiio will then be on the same list that Sony has been on for nearly two decades in my book: Blacklisted forever. Vote with your wallet and stay informed if you want quality folks!
Sounds a little extreme imo. I don't think FiiO would be one to resort to using such shady tactics.

Jun 25, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #13,647 of 15,899
Generally speaking, no :)

Connecting any headphone or IEM to a Line out can burn it.

Can you shed some light. With the M50x, I have to turn up the volume 75-85(High G) on X5III to get a desirable powerful listening experience. I don't know if it is normal for X5iii to reach a level of power at such a high volume. I just hope that output or amp in my X5iii is normal. Anyone with a similar experience would assure me that it is a normal trait in X5III

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #13,648 of 15,899
Even if the line out is variable?

That is a risky question, but generally the line out doesn't have much power, but has a lot

Taken from Wikipedia.

Connecting a low-impedance load such as a loudspeaker (usually 4 to 8 Ω) to a line out will essentially short circuit the output circuit. Such loads are around 1/1000 the impedance a line out is designed to drive, so the line out is usually not designed to source the current that would be drawn by a 4 to 8 ohm load at normal line out signal voltages. The result will be very weak sound from the speaker and possibly a damaged line out circuit.

Headphone outputs and line outputs are sometimes confused. Different make and model headphones have widely varying impedances, from as little as 20 Ω to a few hundred ohms; the lowest of these will have results similar to a speaker, while the highest may work acceptably if the line out impedance is low enough and the headphones are sensitive enough.

Conversely, a headphone output generally has a source impedance of only a few ohms (to provide a bridging connection with 32 ohm headphones) and will easily drive a line input.

Basically, I'd avoid connecting a headphone or IEM to line out. Even with Variable Line Out, there have been some people complaining about a blown driver.

Can you shed some light. With the M50x, I have to turn up the volume 75-85(High G) on X5III to get a desirable powerful listening experience. I don't know if it is normal for X5iii to reach a level of power at such a high volume. I just hope that output or amp in my X5iii is normal. Anyone with a similar experience would assure me that it is a normal trait in X5III

That's very normal for my experience, ~85 on High gain for X5-3 doesn't seem too much, for a load like M50X, but you are not listening quiet at all already :)

I'd keep in mind that X5-3 is also extremely smooth, so fatigue appears much harder, meaning that you might be inclined to pump the volume quite a bit

Jun 25, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #13,649 of 15,899
Jun 25, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #13,650 of 15,899
That is a risky question, but generally the line out doesn't have much power, but has a lot

Taken from Wikipedia.

Basically, I'd avoid connecting a headphone or IEM to line out. Even with Variable Line Out, there have been some people complaining about a blown driver.

That's very normal for my experience, ~85 on High gain for X5-3 doesn't seem too much, for a load like M50X, but you are not listening quiet at all already :)

I'd keep in mind that X5-3 is also extremely smooth, so fatigue appears much harder, meaning that you might be inclined to pump the volume quite a bit

Thanks. Your explanation sounds very plausible

Users who are viewing this thread

Back