Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
May 31, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #13,531 of 15,897
Just for a point of reference, the physical buttons are working just fine for me and I'm running FW 1.2.1. Hopefully Fiio's suggestion above fixes things for you.
Same here. Zig's note sent a cold shiver down my spine (I almost never use the physical buttons). I updated the firmware yesterday and just tested the buttons; all is well.

<edit> Just saw Zig's response. glad you got it working!!!!

May 31, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #13,533 of 15,897
can anyone upload the latest fw to cloud please? fiio's website download is too slow.
I had no issues downloading the firmware from their site. Took maybe 4-6 mins. Might be your connection.

May 31, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #13,534 of 15,897
Fast downloading this FW 1.2.1 in less than 10 minutes.

Clear cache immediately after system reboot .

Working flawlessly in Android mode, Spotify and Fiio stock player work swiftly .

Long time didn't experience such smooth operation ...

Let’s listen to smooth operator ... he’s smooth operator, smooth operator ...

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #13,535 of 15,897
New firmware for the X5iii???

Cool beans!

Looks like I'm blowing the dust off the FiiO tonight! :laughing:

May 31, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #13,536 of 15,897
"3. Added new option to turn on/off the power light (can be set in Settings->Display->Power Light);"

Is the purpose of this to save battery life? If so how much does that little light draw?

Would have rather they spent time on sorting issues than blue light on/off.

May 31, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #13,537 of 15,897
Fast downloading this FW 1.2.1 in less than 10 minutes.

Clear cache immediately after system reboot .

Working flawlessly in Android mode, Spotify and Fiio stock player work swiftly .

Long time didn't experience such smooth operation ...

Let’s listen to smooth operator ... he’s smooth operator, smooth operator ...
Is clearing the cache the same thing as clearing the data as described by Fiio on the last page?

May 31, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #13,538 of 15,897
Thanks for the heads-up. Re USB, maybe my Meridian Explorer2 will work properly now. Almost afraid to try!

Well, after a day of checking out the new firmware there's very good news for me in my particular set-up.

My issue was when streaming Tidal in USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP--latest 4.31) connected via USB to a Meridian Explorer2 (ME2). The issue was, starting after about a minute and a half, I would start to experience brief dropouts with flickering DAC lights. This would continue for the rest of the song. It was not listenable.

With firmware 1.21 it plays steady all the way through the song in either HiFi or Masters and the ME2's lights display Blue or Green for MQA and White for a regular 44.1 HiFi. No glitches, no dropouts. Sounds very nice too. The combination of the X5's warmth and the ME2's sort of clinical sound results in a very enjoyable presentation. Adding to the warmth is that I have everything running through a Cayin C5 amp as, aside from its nice sound signature, gives a little more headroom and has the bass boost button. It's quite a handful of gear and I'll have to figure out how to attach it all together although I already have the X5 and C5 hooked together with FiiO's X5 stacking kit. I have the ME2 connected to the FiiO using an angled OTG cable.

On some of the newer ECM Masters albums in Tidal, the sound is really impressive, even out of my modded Senn PX100's and Audio Technica ATH-M40X's. Just the level of detail and black background is something one couldn't have imagined in the past in a streaming setup. If I could drop $2K on a pair of Focal Clears...!

I also should add that, at first when I was streaming Tidal in UAPP, I was occasionally getting errors (I don't remember the exact error) coming up and songs wouldn't play, not every time but enough that it seemed there was something wrong. I don't know if it was proximity to my router or what (we all know the X5's lack of robustness in the WiFi area). So, in UAPP settings, I went into USB Audio Tweaks and turned on USB tweak 2 and it seemed to clear things up, no more errors. Again, that issue may have been caused by router proximity or a thousand other things so YMMV.

My experience with USB when using the X5's Pure Music mode is not a positive but keep in mind this could just be the ME2's interaction with the FiiO via USB without the mediating factor of the dedicated USB app UAPP. In either Pure Music Mode or Android when I play a song using the native FiiO music player, the sound is very nice but every few seconds I get a sort of distortion sound like if you bumped into your turntable and the needle jagged very briefly across the record. It happens in either Pure Music or Android. I tried turning on and off DoP in the player's settings but it made no difference. It doesn't bother me personally as when I listen to my local files in the FiiO I always go into Pure Music Mode and utilize the X5's DAC as it renders so beautifully anything I could ever throw at it (except obviously doesn't render/decode Tidal MQA, although in UAPP Hi Res driver mode without a DAC connected, plays HiFi and MQA songs fine when streaming Tidal).

Edit: Thought I had lost my ME2 a second ago, no lights when connecting to X5 or anything else. Looks like my original ME2 USB cable that came w/the unit went bad, too much bending I guess. Might have explained the earlier issue with hardware volume control. Connected a cable I had on hand from my old digital camera and everything's 5x5!

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #13,539 of 15,897
@FiiO

No obvious differences for me new firmware. Adding to favourites still shows Chinese characters though. Please fix in player update.

Fewer app crashes or skipping mid song to next. Cleared all caches, will do factory reset later to test more.

Looks the same, feels the same, and runs the same. Hopefully the next app update will resolve more.

May 31, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #13,540 of 15,897
Oddly enough, in previous firwmares, the Chinese characters when favoriting tracks was theme dependent. It displayed English with the black theme and chinese with simplicity white!

May 31, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #13,541 of 15,897
"3. Added new option to turn on/off the power light (can be set in Settings->Display->Power Light);"

Is the purpose of this to save battery life? If so how much does that little light draw?

LOL!!!! I didn't think that one through until you mentioned it. I'll betcha it gives an extra 2-3 minutes per full charge! :)

May 31, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #13,542 of 15,897

Didn't you know? In "Audiophileland" LED lights/displays interfere with the overall sonic soundstage. :wink:

May 31, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #13,543 of 15,897
For anyone interested I have an as new x5iii for sale on this site

May 31, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #13,544 of 15,897
I compared the X5iii to the Opus 1 metal.
<--the competing product is more transparent, more articulate, more dynamic, serves tea, does your homework, feeds the dog....-->

Doesn't the Opus 1 not allow you to adjust the EQ while the music is playing? That's a deal breaker right there for me. I hear plenty of detail and dynamics with my X5 iii and I'm only using the standard output. Lest we also forget, when a playback system is too revealing, it can spoil the illusion we have conditioned ourselves to enjoy on cheaper equipment. I'll take smoother sound any day.

Of course the Opus probably doesn't randomly forget where it was paused in a track and what folder it was reading from, screw up your playlists, take 4 seconds to respond to a touch event or have ridiculously sad battery life either.:anguished: Not to mention the fine support staff who when we ask for ice cream with our cake, give us party hats and confetti in short order. Doesn't matter, I love my fiio all the same. Its sound character brings back memories of my old Sony Walkman 30 years ago. The price was right. It holds all the music I would ever want to hear. I will be sad when it bursts into flames 2 seconds after the warranty expires. Another please!

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #13,545 of 15,897
Is clearing the cache the same thing as clearing the data as described by Fiio on the last page?
I believe they are difference , clear cache is to increase Nand (flash) memory

Users who are viewing this thread

Back