Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
May 30, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #13,516 of 15,897
May 30, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #13,517 of 15,897

Thanks for the link WitzyZed. I don't have a Facebook account so it never would have occurred to me to look there. Not sure why Fiio didn't post those same notes to their forum here (they updated the thread to state that 1.2.1 is the latest FW but didn't include the change notes).

Here's the full list for those of you, like me, who don't want to venture into Facebook territory:

1. Added USB Audio output function (the output is in DoP by default; if your DAC does not support DSD decoding, please switch from DoP to D2P in FiiO Music settings);
2. Added "Enter Now Playing after play" option (can be set in FiiO Music settings; when the option enabled, the app will automatically enter the Now Playing menu after clicking a song to play);
3. Added new option to turn on/off the power light (can be set in Settings->Display->Power Light);
4. Fixed issue where some FLAC tracks might stutter when the ViPER Effect was turned on;
5. Fixed issue where the embedded album art could not be displayed for some WMA tracks;
6. Fixed issue where the fast search bar in the Folder View menu might disappear in a few cases;
7. Fixed issue where the sound was abnormal or there was no output when playing DSD tracks via Bluetooth;
8. Fixed issue where the Settings would stop working when entering "Settings->Storage->NAND FLASH->Total space->Downloads";
9. Miscellaneous improvements and bug fixes.

Doesn't look like any of the fixes will affect me but the big one for this drop would seem to be the enabling of USB Audio output (which I know a bunch of people earlier on this thread were looking for).

I've been listening to my X5III (in Pure Music mode) docked in my K5 constantly since the upgrade and so far so good. But then, I'm one of the ones who has had no issues with their X5III since day one.

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #13,518 of 15,897
Dear friends,

We has released the FW1.2.1 for X5III.

You could visit the X5 3rd gen support page and download the firmware FW1.2.1 from the "Download" section at the bottom right of the page.:beyersmile:

1. Added USB Audio output function (the output is in DoP by default; if your DAC does not support DSD decoding, please switch from DoP to D2P in FiiO Music settings);
2. Added "Enter Now Playing after play" option (can be set in FiiO Music settings; when the option enabled, the app will automatically enter the Now Playing menu after clicking a song to play);
3. Added new option to turn on/off the power light (can be set in Settings->Display->Power Light);
4. Fixed issue where some FLAC tracks might stutter when the ViPER Effect was turned on;
5. Fixed issue where the embedded album art could not be displayed for some WMA tracks;
6. Fixed issue where the fast search bar in the Folder View menu might disappear in a few cases;
7. Fixed issue where the sound was abnormal or there was no output when playing DSD tracks via Bluetooth;
8. Fixed issue where the Settings would stop working when entering "Settings->Storage->NAND FLASH->Total space->Downloads";

Best regards

Last edited:
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 30, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #13,519 of 15,897
I compared the X5iii to the Opus 1 metal.

Volume matched by ear to the best of my capabilities with a 1khz test tone.
Tonally they are close, both are noticeably warm daps. In some tracks the X5iii is a touch darker but its not immediately noticeable without A/Bing.

The first difference to be heard is the level of transparency. The Opus is more detailed and will reveal more nuances of the recording that aren't as apparent on the X5iii. The transparency on the Opus also helps in instrument separation as they are more cleanly separated. The Opus is also more articulate with a more realistic ADSR compared to the slower sounding X5iii, this leads to better perceived dynamics on the Opus. Perhaps the biggest difference is the soundstage. The Opus is much wider and even deeper compared to the X5iii. It is particularly noticeable on the track "The Chain" by Fleetwood Mac. On the X5iii you can only hear till the drum but on the Opus it goes one step further and let's you hear the sound of the drum decay as it travels down the room or studio.

Take note : The Opus 1 metal edition was more expensive than the X5iii when I got it so this might be worth considering when looking for an upgrade.

Edit: Not sure if this is legit the Opus 1 Metal but it's only $369 now. Only 2 units though.
https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Portable-Mastering-Quality-Leather/dp/B01M03NULV

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #13,520 of 15,897
Dear friends,

You could visit the X5 3rd gen support page and download the firmware FW1.2.1 from the "Download" section at the bottom right of the page.:beyersmile:

Best regards
Thanks for the heads-up. Re USB, maybe my Meridian Explorer2 will work properly now. Almost afraid to try!

May 30, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #13,521 of 15,897
May 30, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #13,522 of 15,897
any advice how to setup usb audio player to get full access to the dac

Upon installation UAPP will recognize your device and automatically use the hi res driver. This has been the case before firmware 1.2.1 (just to avoid confusion). Other options under hi res audio in UAPP settings may be found. Such as bit perfect, but really that just turns off the EQ and other controls so you don't accidentally turn them on.

May 30, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #13,523 of 15,897
Upon installation UAPP will recognize your device and automatically use the hi res driver. This has been the case before firmware 1.2.1 (just to avoid confusion). Other options under hi res audio in UAPP settings may be found. Such as bit perfect, but really that just turns off the EQ and other controls so you don't accidentally turn them on.
do i have to tick play through android

May 30, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #13,524 of 15,897
May 30, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #13,525 of 15,897
I compared the X5iii to the Opus 1 metal.

Volume matched by ear to the best of my capabilities with a 1khz test tone.
Tonally they are close, both are noticeably warm daps. In some tracks the X5iii is a touch darker but its not immediately noticeable without A/Bing.

The first difference to be heard is the level of transparency. The Opus is more detailed and will reveal more nuances of the recording that aren't as apparent on the X5iii. The transparency on the Opus also helps in instrument separation as they are more cleanly separated. The Opus is also more articulate with a more realistic ADSR compared to the slower sounding X5iii, this leads to better perceived dynamics on the Opus. Perhaps the biggest difference is the soundstage. The Opus is much wider and even deeper compared to the X5iii. It is particularly noticeable on the track "The Chain" by Fleetwood Mac. On the X5iii you can only hear till the drum but on the Opus it goes one step further and let's you hear the sound of the drum decay as it travels down the room or studio.

Take note : The Opus 1 metal edition was more expensive than the X5iii when I got it so this might be worth considering when looking for an upgrade.

Thanks - interesting comparisons.

My thoughts (and I haven't heard the Opus)
  1. "Volume matched by ear to the best of my capabilities with a 1khz test tone."
    It might be the best you have, but (to me anyway) it immediately discounts any further comparison as simply subjective preference, and likely to be dependent on two factors (volume of the device in question, and knowing which you're comparing). Volume matching needs to be within 0.2 dB (you can't do that by ear). Otherwise the louder device will always sound better / more separated etc. That is simple human conditioning - we can't escape it. And as you've already decided the Opus sounds better - then a sighted test will always yield the same result now (sighted confirmation bias) - again human nature, we can't help it. The only way to overcome is a properly conducted ABX.

2. You haven't stated your ave volume level for listening, or the headphones you used. You also need to to advise your own listening preference for any opinion to be relatable.
    People reading any review I write (because of the preference section I use) will know that I tend toward neutralish cans, and maybe slightly on the bright side of strictly neutral. The X5iii is a warmish DAP (tonally). With a neutral / reference IEM it sounds pretty good (extremely good in fact - and that is a subjective opinion). If I used a warmer earphone, I tend to prefer a different DAP. In terms of knowing the headphones us used, driving power will also possibly come into play.
Not trying to take anything away from your preference or your opinion - which is absolutely valid. Just pointing out how a little more information could make it more meaningful to someone else :)

May 30, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #13,526 of 15,897
Thanks - interesting comparisons.

My thoughts (and I haven't heard the Opus)
  1. "Volume matched by ear to the best of my capabilities with a 1khz test tone."
    It might be the best you have, but (to me anyway) it immediately discounts any further comparison as simply subjective preference, and likely to be dependent on two factors (volume of the device in question, and knowing which you're comparing). Volume matching needs to be within 0.2 dB (you can't do that by ear). Otherwise the louder device will always sound better / more separated etc. That is simple human conditioning - we can't escape it. And as you've already decided the Opus sounds better - then a sighted test will always yield the same result now (sighted confirmation bias) - again human nature, we can't help it. The only way to overcome is a properly conducted ABX.

2. You haven't stated your ave volume level for listening, or the headphones you used. You also need to to advise your own listening preference for any opinion to be relatable.
    People reading any review I write (because of the preference section I use) will know that I tend toward neutralish cans, and maybe slightly on the bright side of strictly neutral. The X5iii is a warmish DAP (tonally). With a neutral / reference IEM it sounds pretty good (extremely good in fact - and that is a subjective opinion). If I used a warmer earphone, I tend to prefer a different DAP. In terms of knowing the headphones us used, driving power will also possibly come into play.
Not trying to take anything away from your preference or your opinion - which is absolutely valid. Just pointing out how a little more information could make it more meaningful to someone else :)
About volume matching, there nothing I can really do about that(no calibrated spl meter) but the difference isn't a very small one you might hear if they aren't volume matched correctly. It was a real pain when comparing the N5ii and Opus 1 metal because they weres so very close in sonics that as you said, the louder one will sound better. However, this isn't the case with the Opus vs X5iii. It is noticeably better. I'll make sure to ask the store workers to help me do a blind test next time.

Now about gear, it seems like we both like neutral-bright gear haha. My preference would be brutally revealing and transparent iems that can reveal every nuance without sounding unnatural. I was using the Echobox Finders which are the most revealing I've come across so far and I've demoed quite a lot (in my profile page). Warm/smooth/dark/laid back iems aren't my thing.

I think the biggest difference between us would be listening volume. I'd say I'm a louder listener normally (74dB+ through a phone spl meter) and will listen even louder (80dB +-) when demoing or comparing gear. Not proud of this habit but I do like to be able to hear last every detail :p

May 31, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #13,527 of 15,897
Dear friends,

Best regards

Dear FiiO,
I just upgraded to FW 1.2.1 and honestly the sound signature is the best I've heard from X5iii... but there is a BIG problem, the physical button for "Play/Stop & Fwrd/Rvsd" button doesn't works even I've changed the setting on "Key-Lock Setting", it still doesn't works... Factory reset also doesn't works... lastly the UI seems getting very slow, touch screen not really responding as it used to... So, please FiiO... fix the FW... thank you...

May 31, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #13,528 of 15,897
Dear FiiO,
I just upgraded to FW 1.2.1 and honestly the sound signature is the best I've heard from X5iii... but there is a BIG problem, the physical button for "Play/Stop & Fwrd/Rvsd" button doesn't works even I've changed the setting on "Key-Lock Setting", it still doesn't works... Factory reset also doesn't works... lastly the UI seems getting very slow, touch screen not really responding as it used to... So, please FiiO... fix the FW... thank you...
Dear friend,

Would you mind clearing the Data for the FiiO Music from Settings-App-All-FiiO Music-Clear data and restart your X5III to see if it helps? Sorry for bringing inconvenience to you.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 31, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #13,529 of 15,897
Dear FiiO,

Just for a point of reference, the physical buttons are working just fine for me and I'm running FW 1.2.1. Hopefully Fiio's suggestion above fixes things for you.

May 31, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #13,530 of 15,897
Dear friend,

Would you mind clearing the Data for the FiiO Music from Settings-App-All-FiiO Music-Clear data and restart your X5III to see if it helps? Sorry for bringing inconvenience to you.

Best regards

Dear FiiO, my apologize....

After deleting the Log file in the SD card, now working flawlessly... my bad forgot about the Log files...
So sorry... and thank you so much.... really enjoying this new FW... Cheers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back