Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Feb 5, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #12,601 of 15,897
@Brooko thanks for the great effort and write up on the technical side. I went at it again this morning and still felt the difference was obvious even without changing the volume between switching and I think we know in this case that the balanced outputs less power in low gain/non-turbo mode which is the only mode I've listened to these on so far, but I don't have equipment for volume matching either nor can I say whether the difference is due to the cable or the implementation of the outputs on the X5 as I mentioned in my initial post so it is what it is. All I can say is if placebo is enough to make the F5 go from a worthless investment to an enjoyable experience, then I'm ok with that.

Feb 5, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #12,602 of 15,897
Feb 6, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #12,604 of 15,897
quick question guys, there's been some discussino about android and SRC, android has a problem with src, an issu ewhich some manufacturers have been able to circumvent like sony and LG with V20. here's my question: how exactly do you CONFIRM if the DAP is outputting src'd music or original bit perfect? especially if we're talking about just plugging in a headphone? i'd think there'd be a sonic difference but is tehre a way to know AT ALL? There are people who are complaining abuot src absent in 3rd party apps...how do you know? [i.e. if i have a 192/24 file that i'm playing using an app, how do I know that i'ts playing it at 192/24 or if it's downsampling to 48/16 or something? does it display that anywhere? i'd think the audio app will just display the format of the file regardless of what is being ultimately outputted?]

Please refer to the method described in my previous post. You can check whether it is downconverted.
Maybe it is only Neutron. (Except DSD)
If you have a DAC etc which displays format with S/PDIF input, You can check it.
If the input value display of the DAC is 24bit when playback 24bit file, that application is possible to Bit Perfect playback with DAP only. When it is displayed as 16bit, it is not bit perfect.
However, S/PDIF output will down-convert to 96kHz, but if the DAC displays the input value as 24 bit, there is no problem. That application is not down-convert when playback with DAP only.
In addition, you also can check it by turning on the development option and turning on USB debugging with Android settings, connecting to the PC and viewing the log output with Android Studio.
Please enjoy comparing FiiO Music log output and other third party applications log output. :)

Feb 6, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #12,605 of 15,897
Hi new here. Just got my Fiio X5iii and started to play with it. I am using Qobuz as a streaming service and wanted to listen to it by Wifi. With the Fiio it's a no go. The wifi receiving is very poor. It only plays 44/16 cd. Everyting above like 96/24 or 192/24 it won't play or buffer every few seconds. My phone (S7) plays everything fine. This also means I can't play my Hires files from my NAS. For this I am using the Bubbleupnp app. Someone familiar with these issues? By playing from Sd-card everything sounds fine with Fiio F9 and some cheap KZ earbuds.

I have no problem playing 96/24 or 192/24 at all.
My network environment is below.
- MinimServer (on Mac)
- Controller: BubbleUPnP (on X5 3rd)
- Renderer: Neutron (on X5 3rd)

Certainly X5 3rd's WiFi is a little poor. However, I think that it is almost no problem if it is a general WiFi environment.
Is there a possibility that your WiFi environment is a little poor? How far is the distance to the WiFi router?

Feb 6, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #12,606 of 15,897
I don't think it's a WiFi environment. Streaming 4k 50GB movies to a nVidia Shield TV in the same room without any problems. Also using BubbleUpNp on the X5 3rd as controller and player. On my S7 network speed is 170 Mbps and on the X5 around 20Mbps. Router Asus RT-AC88U.

Feb 6, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #12,607 of 15,897
I don't think it's a WiFi environment. Streaming 4k 50GB movies to a nVidia Shield TV in the same room without any problems. Also using BubbleUpNp on the X5 3rd as controller and player. On my S7 network speed is 170 Mbps and on the X5 around 20Mbps. Router Asus RT-AC88U.
I haven't used the wifi MUCH on this, i usually just download tracks for offline listening on streaming programs like tidal. BUT, so far it's not been poor enough to be useless. It's defenitely no beast, but it's about as good as say my first smartphone circa 2006 or so.

Anyway, one thing to keep in mind, especially with commercial brands and fancy new routers is that X5-III doesn't have 5Ghz and max uses something in 11ng. New routers with AC wifi and 5ghz a lot of times limit usage of older spectrums, i had this problem with a router my parents used ot have in singapore my dads old blackberry would have issues and realised that the thing kept doing smthg wierd to the access due to it using older spectrum. May not be what's happening but smthg to think about.

BTW i just ran a speed test and i'm maxing out below 20Mbps too, which is what my wifi AP is reporting as the max speed for this device as well.

Feb 8, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #12,609 of 15,897
IMG_20180208_214819.jpg

Absolutely love my X5iii

Feb 8, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #12,610 of 15,897
Got my X5iii today. Signed up to tidal via Sennheiser CapTune app for 3 months free HIFI subscription. Pretty much filled a 200gb card with offline tunes and its playing great after enabling crossfade for 1 sec. no juddering or playback issues at all. Dont think ill buy music again ever :D Coming from a phone setup its like ive been born into a new world. My wireless P5s are doing a great job but i feel an upgrade coming on soon.

Feb 8, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #12,611 of 15,897
Bought the Fiio A5 amp for my HD600's last year and it didn't do much for me so I returned it.
Just bought the K5 desktop amp and the sound is awesome, except for the unit is defective and flashes on and off sometimes. Also you can't leave the silicone case on.

I like the portability of the A5 and the power of the K5.

So the question is what other options are people using to drive the power hungry headphones? Or am I better off just buying different headphones. I have AKG702's and they are nothing like the HD600s and I only use them when exercising as I really don't like them enough for dedicated listening.

Feb 8, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #12,613 of 15,897
To enable balanced turbo mode is it just

Plug in 2.5mm and then gain to high?
Or is there another step?

Thank you
There's thing in settings->audio settings called "Balanced Turbo" (it's all the way at the bottom, need to scroll down)...assuming you have the latest firmware ofc. Need to turn this on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back