Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Feb 3, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #12,571 of 15,897
Hi new here. Just got my Fiio X5iii and started to play with it. I am using Qobuz as a streaming service and wanted to listen to it by Wifi. With the Fiio it's a no go. The wifi receiving is very poor. It only plays 44/16 cd. Everyting above like 96/24 or 192/24 it won't play or buffer every few seconds. My phone (S7) plays everything fine. This also means I can't play my Hires files from my NAS. For this I am using the Bubbleupnp app. Someone familiar with these issues? By playing from Sd-card everything sounds fine with Fiio F9 and some cheap KZ earbuds.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #12,572 of 15,897
New X5III Red Guy, man this smokes the X5II and I was really surprised by that.

A few newbie questions:

1} Any tips for mitigating the heat build up? I am running it naked to help disperse the heat.
2} I have PowerAmp Pro from a previous android tablet era, is anyone running it? Thoughts? The Pure Music mode seems ok but is a bit clumsy in the looks department.

Thank you

Feb 3, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #12,573 of 15,897

A few newbie questions:

1} Any tips for mitigating the heat build up? I am running it naked to help disperse the heat.
2} I have PowerAmp Pro from a previous android tablet era, is anyone running it? Thoughts? The Pure Music mode seems ok but is a bit clumsy in the looks department.

Thank you
I haven't had any heat problems but I read somewhere that it's normal to heat up if you are using it while charging it.

I've been warming up to the Fiio Music app (Pure Music mode), but have Poweramp pro with material skin as my backup app. Make sure you uncheck Beep under the Headset/Bluetooth settings in Poweramp or else the hardware buttons does some weird things with it. I think it was mentioned here that Poweramp (and most other third party apps) don't do bit perfect playback on the Fiio and the only confirmed one that does outside of the Fiio Music app is Neutron. I tested back and forth between Neutron and Poweramp and didn't really like the added thickness to the sound in Neutron but YMMV.

Feb 3, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #12,574 of 15,897
I haven't had any heat problems but I read somewhere that it's normal to heat up if you are using it while charging it.

I've been warming up to the Fiio Music app (Pure Music mode), but have Poweramp pro with material skin as my backup app. Make sure you uncheck Beep under the Headset/Bluetooth settings in Poweramp or else the hardware buttons does some weird things with it. I think it was mentioned here that Poweramp (and most other third party apps) don't do bit perfect playback on the Fiio and the only confirmed one that does outside of the Fiio Music app is Neutron. I tested back and forth between Neutron and Poweramp and didn't really like the added thickness to the sound in Neutron but YMMV.

Using Poweramp I had issues with 96.000kHz files not just being resampled (to 16/48) but the file being played in slow motion (I'm guessing twice as slow but I can't be sure).

Feb 3, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #12,575 of 15,897
Using Poweramp I had issues with 96.000kHz files not just being resampled (to 16/48) but the file being played in slow motion (I'm guessing twice as slow but I can't be sure).
I heard the test version (can join in the settings view) supports up to 192kHz and won't resample. Doesn't support skins though (the test version changes the UI :/)

EDIT: I actually just tested with a Sony sample of 24 bit/96kHz 3400 kbps file which is the highest I have access to on the standard/non-test version and it played just fine, so maybe the standard version has improved since you last tried? Or could be specific to whatever song you were trying

EDIT 2: nvm, I do see that it struggles switching from a lower bitrate/sample rate file to the sample file. I'm assuming the test version won't have this problem, but if you are dealing with these sorts of files, it is probably best to use the pure music mode. There is a bit of a learning curve but I thought the classic blue theme looked nice and clean.

Screenshot_2018-02-03-07-53-03.png

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #12,576 of 15,897
Hello All,

Lately, on 24bit music, sometimes:

1) App crashes both Fiio Music and Neutron. In 2 hr listening I would get atleast 1-2 crashes.
2) Sometimes I hear "break" in song. I dont know how to explain it well, but its like there is micro-second pauses as if there is some lag n music stutters so to speak.

Anyone else facing it.

Thank you.

Feb 3, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #12,577 of 15,897

A few newbie questions:

Thank you
Running PowerAmp also, but i really like JetAudio Plus, some nice features in that music player.

Feb 3, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #12,579 of 15,897
I absolutely love my FiiO X5 Gen 3, im using it right now as i type this comment.

Headphones: Beyer DT1990 Pro's
Song: Sam Smith - Nothing left for you

Fantastic setup, sound is clean, rich, natural.

Feb 4, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #12,581 of 15,897
Hi @FiiO
first of all sorry for my english
if i can suggest you a feature for the next firmware:

about volume control , when the display is off ( i mean display dark not display with art image blocked)
if it was possible to decide to enable/ disable physical volume knob control .... to prevent accidentally moves on it

thank you

Feb 4, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #12,582 of 15,897
Hi @FiiO
first of all sorry for my english
if i can suggest you a feature for the next firmware:

about volume control , when the display is off ( i mean display dark not display with art image blocked)
if it was possible to decide to enable/ disable physical volume knob control .... to prevent accidentally moves on it

thank you
Go into custom key-lock settings, it's pretty self-explanatory from there.

Settings > key-lock > custom key-lock

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #12,583 of 15,897
Thanks everyone.

Any serious differences between PowerAmp and JetAudio?
JetAudio Plus has it's version of jet effects that is prominent on most Cowon players, but the feature i really like is Bongiovi DPS, it allows you use different headphone emulations, so you get some interesting sound signatures, other features as well.
I use different players at times depending on my mood i guess, onkyo, hiby, and i do like fiio's own player, but i like options so i switch to the different players.

Feb 4, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #12,584 of 15,897
How to upgrade the FiiO Music app?

In the latest firmware of X5III-FW1.2.0, we have allowed the individual update of FiiO Music. There will be update push for the FiiO Music.

1. Online update
Connect to WiFi, open the FiiO Music and wait for a few seconds and the update notice will pop up. Click "install" to upgrade the FiiO Music directly.
If choose "Next prompt", it will skip the update for once and will pop up notice next time you open the FiiO Music app. If choose "Ignore", it will skip the update of this version.

2. Manual update
a. Set the player to storage mode and connect to computer, drag the downloaded FiiO Music (.apk) to the internal storage of your player.
b. Disconnect the connection and enter ES file manager, find the FiiO Music app in internal_sd and click install.

When the FiiO Music is successfully installed, you could go to FiiO Music>Setting>About APP>FiiO Music VXXX and find out the version of the app, for example FiiO Music V3.4.1

Last edited:
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back