Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Oct 14, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #11,911 of 15,897
Hello every one, I have read through quite a bit of this thread, and I'm curious if people would still recommend this device? I'm in the market for a DAP that is able to use spotify/tidal applications along with my flac/mp3 library.

Haven't seen anything else in this price range that does that besides the X5 Gen 3.

I would say go for it despite the few niggles that have been reported. The only gripe I have is with the X5III not connecting to my laptop but I am maintaining it through my SD Reader Writer and OTG usb.

The sound is excellent for the price and paired up with the F9s it is a perfect portable audio system.

Oct 14, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #11,912 of 15,897
Has anyone installed Viper4android for external music apps? Can't get any of the versions on the play store to work on the x5, they keep crashing. Works fine on my V20.

I know the x5 has some kind of implementation of viper4android but I believe its limited only to Fiio's music app?

Oct 16, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #11,914 of 15,897
Hello every one, I have read through quite a bit of this thread, and I'm curious if people would still recommend this device? I'm in the market for a DAP that is able to use spotify/tidal applications along with my flac/mp3 library.

Haven't seen anything else in this price range that does that besides the X5 Gen 3.

I couldn't recommend the X5III any further for playing flac files natively but it sucks at Tidal. I have a HiFI subscription and app response is glacially slow. You should also expect skipping tracks and app hangs to be a regular occurrence. Many have suggested workarounds that may improve stability but I think you ought to expect the Tidal experience to be noticeably worse than it is on a phone.

I can't speak for Spotify.

Oct 16, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #11,915 of 15,897
How does 16 or 24bit streaming from Qobuz hold up on the X5 3rd Gen?
I have no more room on my 2 x 200GB cards and until I can afford a 400GB one, I was considering using my Qobuz streaming subscription. Not interested in lower quality FM quality stuff from Spotify or Google Music.

Oct 16, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #11,917 of 15,897
I Am now Testing the 3rd Fioo X5 III in 1 month
The Previous two had Black Pixel on Screen and I returned them

This one I turned on and at First i didnt see any Dead pixel
I tested it with White background too see if theres any could not see any.

But Now a WHITE Shiny pixel has apeared on the bottom
where the Touch back buttons are, is very smale it dont bother me so much
but i am not happy about it.

I just unboxing the player and i must say i am impressed how Fiio Have Dead pixel
all over the screen even on the Third player i got.

Will play with it a bit more to see if it has more issues.
atleast this pixel is smaler, but is not black is shiny white and glow

Fiio should be informed about this

Oct 16, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #11,918 of 15,897
The "black pixel" may be dust rather than dead pixel?

My X5III (before I sold it) had a small black dot too, but look more like dust trapped inside the screen. Similar case with colleague's set when we bought it together. My black set also has little swirl marks near the micro-USB connector area.

Then upgraded to X7II, which exterior is perfect, but LCD screen seem to have a tiny black dust inside the LCD. Not obvious, but if you seen it, you will always notice it there.

Guess the fast production to meet the high demand may have create some small imperfections, or the assembly team may be working in a non-dust-free environment.

I Am now Testing the 3rd Fioo X5 III in 1 month
The Previous two had Black Pixel on Screen and I returned them

This one I turned on and at First i didnt see any Dead pixel
I tested it with White background too see if theres any could not see any.

But Now a WHITE Shiny pixel has apeared on the bottom
where the Touch back buttons are, is very smale it dont bother me so much
but i am not happy about it.

I just unboxing the player and i must say i am impressed how Fiio Have Dead pixel
all over the screen even on the Third player i got.

Will play with it a bit more to see if it has more issues.
atleast this pixel is smaler, but is not black is shiny white and glow

Fiio should be informed about this

Oct 16, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #11,919 of 15,897
Oct 16, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #11,920 of 15,897
Oct 16, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #11,921 of 15,897
Oct 16, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #11,922 of 15,897
Android "cooks", when are you getting your hands dirty getting a custom ROM for the X5iii? I was looking at XDA the other day and the amazing things that you can do with a custom ROM. I can help if you need me (I do not know how to do it by myself though).

Oct 16, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #11,923 of 15,897
As a beta tester, do you know if replaygain s being worked on?

I would be interested in an Official fiio reply to this query. I asked the same question a few pages ago and fiio has so far declined to reply. I just looked a few minutes ago and this was still up on the fiio site in the FAQ section of the forum dated 1/20/17.
Q: Is replay gain supported by the default music app FiiO Music?

A: The replay gain function will be played in the future firmware. And the ViPER effect will also support replay gain in the future.
-

My memory seems to remember fiio confirming replaygain implementation in April in this thread.

I believe after this fiio made a statement on headfi in this thread that replaygain would not be implemented.

Fiio please clarify your position on this.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #11,924 of 15,897
Can you find the post that said Replay gain would not be supported? I believe I have read ever single post here. I do not remember seeing this statement.
If you want a definitive answer, you should write them directly. While they do monitor this thread occasionally, it is not specifically an official support venue.

Oct 16, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #11,925 of 15,897
As a beta tester, do you know if replaygain s being worked on?

They indicated to me that it was on the list to include - and I stressed to them how important I thought the feature was. If its a deal breaker - Neutron does have it, and it does work. In the meantime, all we can do is wait. I've seen no sign of it in any beta software they've sent so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back