Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Sep 22, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #11,461 of 15,897
Haha Thank You It works, I was used to get the android Usb emblem automaticly, in under 5 seconds it conected
to drive E, so now i am copying music files over.

Do you know why it detect 3 drives E,I,J (when unplug they disapear)
but only Drive E is used, the other 2 cannot be clicked (and i dont need them)

Sep 22, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #11,462 of 15,897
Internal memory, 1st sdxc card and 2nd sdxc card.

3 drives

Sep 22, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #11,464 of 15,897
X5 3rd's Custom Android Rom does not support float32 with AudioTrack.
Instead you need to use unsigned-Int32. You also need to specify 10 for AudioFormat.
Please refer to my post for details.

Thank you yaslam!
I highly doubt that the format is unsigned int though. It should be signed int? How else to convert 32-bit signed floating point to unsigned ints??

Kind regards

Sep 22, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #11,466 of 15,897
Is anyone else still having the problem whereby offline Tidal files (stored on SD1) start glitching after about 5 tracks? Skipping forward or back a track then back to where you were then plays the glitchy track perfectly. I seem to remember this being mentioned before, but no solution that I recall?

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #11,467 of 15,897
Is anyone else still having the problem whereby offline Tidal files (stored on SD1) start glitching after about 5 tracks? Skipping forward or back a track then back to where you were then plays the glitchy track perfectly. I seem to remember this being mentioned before, but no solution that I recall?

Yes I have the exact same problem. It seems to primarily happen when I listen to albums from the beginning. If I skip a track or change album once in a while I can often listen for hours without this glitching/stuttering.

Sep 22, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #11,470 of 15,897
The problem - some people who have issues with the X5iii and normally this will result in people being vocal about it vs the vast silent majority who do not share those issues.

My guess is that most unhappy customers in fact do not complain but they might tell their friends. If FIIO believes as you do they are making a huge mistake. Let me connect the dots as I have experienced them….

The X5iii is my 4th FIIO app. I have fairly large music library and I was looking for something better than my phone as a music source. I was especially interested in something with a large capacity for use in my car. At the time the solution I tried was modifying a Squeezebox Touch for integration to my car stereo. It worked but wasn’t perfect. The Touch itself had many problems in common with the FIIO line – too many features half implemented and either inefficient programming or under powered hardware. I decided to wait and see what appears in the horizon that might work better.

Enter the FIIO X1 - with good reviews and low price I thought it was worth a try. I like dit. FIIO kept improving the product and added additional yet essential feature – ie replaygain. I thought to myself here is a company to watch. The X7 appeared and I was tempted but it simply didn’t have enough storage to meet my needs for an upgrade.

Enter the M3 - My youngest son kept grabbing my X1 and wanted a DAP of his own. When the M3 came out I bought one for him thinking at that price if he loses it (Which he did eventually) it would be no big deal. For the price the M3 sounded good but was very glitch and the software poorly laid out both from a user interface viewpoint and apparently under the hood as well. FIIO stopped updates on this product very soon and admitted the product wasn’t as good as they wanted. OK a semi bad product quickly abandoned can happen to any company so no big deal.

Enter the X1ii - I thought Id buy the new X1ii and gave my X1 to my son since he lost his M3. The initial roll out was buggy and the firmware has not been updated in months. Most surprisingly FIIO responded to customer complaints by posting a screenshot showing that customers were clearly misstating FIIOs performance claims. A company chastising customers is always weird but when a user posted a screenshot accessed from the “wayback machine” it clearly showed that the screenshot posted by the FIIO person had been changed from what was originally posted by FIIO.

Enter the X5iii – I was excited about the X5iii – Two cards gave me enough memory to carry around a lot of music. This was FIIO’s second Android product and I figured most of the Android bugs should have been worked out. Reviews looked good and FIIO claimed replay gain feature would be added. I grab one and it sounds great ( I do love the sound of all the FIIO daps I have purchased) it crashed a lot. I have two 256 cards almost full with music. The most recent upgrade has improved things quite a bit. That said - the fiio app simply does not sort accurately. When I mentioned this someone outright contradicted me saying the sort worked fine. I made some simple comparison between the Neutron app and FIIOs sorting showing how messed up the FIIO app was. A FIIO rep chimed in a said that they will try to improve their sorting logic in the future. Since then no improvements have been made. It seems entirely reasonable to expect proper sorting. It even seems reasonable to have the firmware ignore articles when sorting. This is programming 101 – not something difficult. More recently FIIO has stated that they would not be adding replaygain to the X5iii despite posting on Headfi earlier that replaygain would be added. From my perspective the ability to handle multiple tags is an essential feature but if simple sorting can’t be accomplished it a flight of fancy to even consider that. And yes I suffer the FIIO app crashing periodically as well.

A couple of months ago I thought that there would be a firmware upgrade or two and the X5iii would be as fantastic as I thought it would be; however: the recent replaygain comment by FIIO, the insult to customers in the X1ii thread, the poor reviews of the X3ii have me convinced that FIIOs desire is not to support their devices as they did in the past.

Note: Edited to correct crazy typing!

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #11,471 of 15,897
A couple of months ago I thought that there would be a firmware upgrade or two and the X5iii would be as fantastic as I thought it would be; however: the recent replaygain comment by FIIO, the insult to customers in the X1ii thread, the poor reviews of the X3ii have me convinced that FIIOs desire is not to support their devices as they did in the past.

Honestly I don't think they sell enough product to make a long support and upgrade cycle profitable. They have to move on and not deliver on what they say they will. Replay gain is nice, but you can get it from other apps. Same with the oddball sort. I will probably not buy another FIIO device, I have bought 3 players and two sets of IEM's.

I'd probably sell the X5iii but I'm too lazy at the moment to list and deal with buyers.

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #11,472 of 15,897
My guess is that most unhappy customers in fact do not complain but they might tell their friends. If FIIO believes as you do they are making a huge mistake. Let me connect the dots as I have experienced them….

----------------------------------------

After all these months, pulled out and dusted off my Fiio X3II tethered to the Fiio E12 amp.

I found that the sound is “fuller”, warmer and more robust than that produced by the X5III.

So the X3II is now my go-to DAP. The hardware and software Interface is so much more intuitive.

Of course it’s harder to read the smaller screen, but the X3II has replay gain and I can sort of get
what I have been begging Fiio X5III for, “Add to now Playing” functionality – I mostly use playlists and with the X3II I can scroll to a wanted song in the playlist, play it, and the player will still continue with the list without any more user intervention.
The X5III does not have this capability.

I keep a pop-out magnifier in my pocket for when I need to get details on the small screen.

I intend to keep the X5III just for the “other” capabilities such as viewing videos with the VLC player app (I don't own a Smart Phone).

I mean the old X3II+E12amp gives me a better interface AND a better signature – it’s a no brainer.

Fool me once, shame on you….

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #11,473 of 15,897

Honestly I don't think they sell enough product to make a long support and upgrade cycle profitable. They have to move on and not deliver on what they say they will. Replay gain is nice, but you can get it from other apps. Same with the oddball sort. I will probably not buy another FIIO device, I have bought 3 players and two sets of IEM's.

I'd probably sell the X5iii but I'm too lazy at the moment to list and deal with buyers.

Same. I'll end up giving it to one of the kids at some point and purchase the dap that will perform the way I want going forward. Unfortunately, it may end up being a retired cellphone and an add-on amp/dac that has Balanced headphone out (most likely won't be Fiio though).

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #11,474 of 15,897

Well.....Here is EU if a company is stating that a product does X and Y but afterwards it does only Y, the client is automatically entitled for a full refund no questions asked. If all customers did this, the decision to move on would cause refund cost, "toxic" returned items and the loss of credibility for authorized resellers since they are also in the loop for losses; Even though they did not sell many units, units should go the the streets only when claims are fulfilled and not the reverse;

I understand why people can be really disappointed. For my use case I do not have any "major" issues, other than a crash here and there, the lack of replay gain which can be a PITA when listening consecutively different albums, or the "options" button overlay that stands on top of the play button for example if you have several albuns for the same artists;

Most of the issues seem software based and some people here in the forum have the know how to help them in that front, if they decided for example to move one to another one why not releasing all sources so we can see real custom firmwares?

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #11,475 of 15,897

I'd probably sell the X5iii but I'm too lazy at the moment to list and deal with buyers.[/COLOR]

I agree with you. I would only add that adding features they specifically mentioned they would add is fundamentally different than anything related to "Long support and upgrade cycle." The reason we are even discussing "long" is because they didn't come thru in the "short."

EDIT: Correcting typos

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back