Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Sep 15, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #11,371 of 15,897
I have a Surface 3 - it connects perfectly.

Like I said earlier - could be your X5iii or could be your Surface / laptop

Blaming FiiO without knowing all the facts is not the answer.

In my case I have gone through many cables, adapters and work arounds across two different X5IIIs from different batches and I have the same problem.

As I have already stated, my ports have beem measured for load and voltage and they are working perfectly. Everything I own including an X5II works, therefore, the fault whatever it is, is within the X5III.

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #11,372 of 15,897
So what is common then? The Surface - which has proven to be one of the most unreliable and glitchy laptops released (search the net, you'll find heaps of info). Mine works perfectly some days, glitches out others. My X5iii is rock solid though. So very different experience. But pointless continuing debate. You have decided it is the X5iii. Nothing I or anyone else can say is likely to change that opinion. Suggest we move on.

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #11,373 of 15,897
The same problem with USB out on Fiio X7 II - from csglinux review - "Digital-out via USB is something that was supposed to work, but is a giant crapshoot right now. It doesn't sound all that good anyway, but it also seems to get punctuated with interference, dropouts, and then it fairly reliably freezes the entire player. After one such episode it took me an entire day to get the X7ii to start charging again. I thought I'd broken it :frowning2: I eventually got it charging again, but have not tried USB digital output since."

Sep 15, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #11,374 of 15,897
So what is common then? The Surface - which has proven to be one of the most unreliable and glitchy laptops released (search the net, you'll find heaps of info). Mine works perfectly some days, glitches out others. My X5iii is rock solid though. So very different experience. But pointless continuing debate. You have decided it is the X5iii. Nothing I or anyone else can say is likely to change that opinion. Suggest we move on.

Although I agree that Surfaces are prone to MULTIPLE issues (Like for example, underpowered/specc'ed USB chips due to them being tablets and not laptops), I'd have to say they're not the most unreliable and glitchy laptops out there, but they are the most unreliable and glitchy tablets that think they're laptops out there! :wink:

Sep 15, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #11,375 of 15,897

You have misread the thread, I do not have the Surface, I have a Dell XPS and what I said was others here with the Surface were having the same problem as me.

Sep 15, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #11,376 of 15,897
Fiio already provided a fix for gapless weeks ago.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the patch they provided after the latest firmware update didn't so much fix the gapless function as it broke it just a little bit less. I reflashed to the latest firmware recently and it's still broken.

Reflashing has improved overall stability as did getting the latest version of Tidal from the Play Store rather than the one from the FIIO Market. Better but still a ways to go.

Sep 15, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #11,378 of 15,897
Maybe it's just me, but the last firmware update seemed to completely fix all of my crashing problems. Prior to the update, I'd crash at least once every half hour when playing playlists. But since the update, I haven't crashed once. And it's been a week now since I've updated. If this isn't a fluke, it could raise my view of the player significantly. I regretted buying it before, but I've been cautiously optimistic this week.

Sep 16, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #11,381 of 15,897
I will get mine on October 3rd and then test it.
If it doesn't work, I will use it in my Note8, there it has been tested and works fine ...
As soon as I have it, I will post ...

20170910_090843.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #11,384 of 15,897
A bit of a digression; I'm not quite sure about how this is supposed to work, but I certainly didn't expect what happened to me just today. Does plugging headphones straight into line out make them sound a bit narrower, but also brighter by a small, but noticeable amount for you lads? It does for me on my Audio-Technicas, which surprised me greatly.

Sep 16, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #11,385 of 15,897
A bit of a digression; I'm not quite sure about how this is supposed to work, but I certainly didn't expect what happened to me just today. Does plugging headphones straight into line out make them sound a bit narrower, but also brighter by a small, but noticeable amount for you lads? It does for me on my Audio-Technicas, which surprised me greatly.

Yes, right. Sounds different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back