Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Sep 15, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #11,356 of 15,897
Surface 3 here and no problems whatsoever.

I cannot recall his name, but when I first reached out to Fiio months ago another user reported he was having all the same issues as me on his Surface. Following that others also reported the same problems but as the topics changed the problem was forgotten and never resolved.

Sep 15, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #11,357 of 15,897
I cannot recall his name, but when I first reached out to Fiio months ago another user reported he was having all the same issues as me on his Surface. Following that others also reported the same problems but as the topics changed the problem was forgotten and never resolved.
I remember he had a Surface Book.

Sep 15, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #11,358 of 15,897
I have been asking since my first X5III how difficult can it be to get the damn thing just to connect to my USB Ports.

Whatever FiiO has done, they have seriously SCREWED UP the USB.

Hi,

Regarding USB connections issues, I can give a "workaround";
In the past I had several issues with new devices connecting to USB even though all other equipment's were ok; the best thing is to connect device go to Device Manager(if windows) validate Universal Serial Buses Controllers and check if there is any item marked with ! (for some devices like iphones) this will not show under that tab; Click on it and remove all drivers, since you may have an outdated drivers that is causing the device not being recognized;

Edit: There is another workaround which is a little more aggressive and time consuming that is to remove all drivers regarding USB Controllers, restart, Windows will detect host and reinstall drivers, and afterwards connect device

For surface 3 pro it is really a picky device regarding it USB port since it does not draw enough power, the best workaround is through a self powered usb hub or even through surface docking station;

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #11,359 of 15,897
Could be the USB chipset implemented in the X5iii. I have issues connecting it to my MSI Z97A Gaming 6 board as well. I believe I also had the issue with my HP Spectre X2 tablet. I have the least issues going through a USB 2.0 Hub. I sometimes have to disconnect and reconnect multiple times. When transferring music now, I just pop the MicroSD out and use the adapter that came with my Shanling M1 and pop that directly into the USB 3 port. No issues, and transfers MUCH FASTER to boot.

Sep 15, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #11,360 of 15,897
I remember he had a Surface Book.

As I said I really like the sound on this X5III and now that I have the FiiO F9s connected the sound is amazing, it is like having my favourite headphones plugged into my ears.

Unless this one fails I will keep it purely for the sound, but it is very annoying that it will not connect to my laptop.

Sep 15, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #11,361 of 15,897
Hi,

In the past I had several issues with new devices connecting to USB even though all other equipment's were ok; the best thing is to connect device go to Device Manager(if windows) validate Universal Serial Buses Controllers and check if there is any item marked with ! (for some devices like iphones) this will not show under that tab; Click on it and remove all drivers, since you may have an outdated drivers that is causing the device not being recognized;

Edit: There is another workaround which is a little more aggressive and time consuming that is to remove all drivers regarding USB Controllers, restart, Windows will detect host and reinstall drivers, and afterwards connect device

For surface 3 pro it is really a picky device regarding it USB port since it does not draw enough power, the best workaround is through a self powered usb hub or even through surface docking station;

Could be the USB chipset implemented in the X5iii. I have issues connecting it to my MSI Z97A Gaming 6 board as well. I believe I also had the issue with my HP Spectre X2 tablet. I have the least issues going through a USB 2.0 Hub. I sometimes have to disconnect and reconnect multiple times. When transferring music now, I just pop the MicroSD out and use the adapter that came with my Shanling M1 and pop that directly into the USB 3 port. No issues, and transfers MUCH FASTER to boot.

I had similar work arounds for a little while.

The first was that for some strange reason, I seemed to have a magic cable because out of the multiple cables I own including FiiO's, that lone Anker Cable connected the X5III for a short while but now it does not.

I have a USB C converter that worked for while but after Windows Creator and FiiO update it stopped working.

Now I am stuck in the endless loop of connecting and then immediately disconnecting. But at least I can manage my music externally via an SD reader, it is annoying but at least it works.

Edit:

I wondered initially if my Dell was not delivering enough power from the USB Port so I purchased an inline USB multimeter that measures the voltage and current draw from the USB Port, thankfully it is working perfectly.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #11,364 of 15,897
Those with the Microsoft Surface are unable to connect to many things actually, i know we used a lot of them at work and i'm in charge of the maintenance. Surfaces are terrible devices to avoid at any cost (unless you have a very basic usage of it with no expansions).
Curious... I have been using mine with an M9XX and a 3 TB external disk for music playback for the last year. Works fine. I guess I must consider myself fortunate.
I have not tried it with the X5III. I usually have it with me, but not today. Maybe Monday I can give it a try.

Sep 15, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #11,365 of 15,897
Hi,

Hmmmmm. I am using a Surface Pro 4. AND, I have the devices plugged into to it port replicator thingy (can't call it a docking station...)
I will try the X5III with the dock... Monday.

Sep 15, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #11,366 of 15,897
Hmmmmm. I am using a Surface Pro 4. AND, I have the devices plugged into to it port replicator thingy (can't call it a docking station...)
I will try the X5III with the dock... Monday.

I use that "dock" on my surface 3 since it's compatible without issues :) had to apply only once the workaround.

Sep 15, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #11,367 of 15,897
Hell froze over and i am playing X5 III usb out to iDSD BL using Hiby Music. Woooot! Its just been 5 minutes now.
Let's see how long this dream lasts. :astonished:
Usb to ifi ?

EDIT: Hiby playing usb out but its not perfect.

Sep 15, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #11,368 of 15,897
I have a Surface 3 - it connects perfectly.

Like I said earlier - could be your X5iii or could be your Surface / laptop

Blaming FiiO without knowing all the facts is not the answer.

Sep 15, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #11,369 of 15,897
From my experience:
Connecting X5 to computer as external DAC - not working because of faulty device. Exchanged by Fiio to the new one - working perfect. To be sure, borrowed from friend - was working flawless with stock USB cable from the box. USB3 port in my computer.
Connecting X5 to external DAC - as I know, not working in proper way by now. That was the main reason to sell my X5 III. Great sound, but.... Maybe I am perfectionist. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back