Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Aug 25, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #11,056 of 15,897
Found something good!
Playlist Creator 3.6.2

1. Install
2. Plug in X5iii into PC and set to USB Mode (anyone else have to plug and unplug their X5iii multiple times in order to get the USB to work right?)
3. Open File Explorer to the Music folder on X5iii
4. Drag and drop songs or folders into Playlist Creator
5. Set "Save Location" to a Folder on the MicroSD of X5iii (or wherever... only tried within same folder of music).
6. Set "Name" and set type to ".m3u".
7. Press "Create Playlist"
8. Eject X5iii
9. Find playlist and enjoy.
So many things to explore and find on this dap.

Aug 25, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #11,057 of 15,897
Couldn't agree with you more, Brooko. While you are at it please do check Media Monkey. I hear it has great playlist creation support. I personally am a folder guy (stuck in the olden times).

Yes, MM Gold has playlist function similar to ITunes. That is what I use, but as far as I can tell, sync the playlist sends those songs to your X5/3 so you get them stored twice (once in bulk transfer & once in playlist) but a few extra Gb of songs is OK given 2 large cards. Having come from 10 years+ of ITunes, playlist functionality is 2nd nature. Albeit all we are really doing is what we did when we created cassette tapes of our favourite album tracks to take on holiday 30 years ago. Only the technology has changed but the need remains the same.

Aug 25, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #11,058 of 15,897
Found something good!
Playlist Creator 3.6.2

1. Install
2. Plug in X5iii into PC and set to USB Mode (anyone else have to plug and unplug their X5iii multiple times in order to get the USB to work right?)
5. Set "Save Location" to a Folder on the MicroSD of X5iii (or wherever... only tried within same folder of music).
8. Eject X5iii

Was not aware of that method, but it is quite easy to add tracks/albums manually to playlists; search for song/album, select, add to playlist, select playlist, search for next song etc. You can also give each list a name within the Fiio music app. However, it does not create Smart Playlists (like ITunes/ MM Gold). For example, list of 250 songs from those Rated > 3* with Genre = Rock and Lasted Played > 3 Months. Or, simply list 100 songs with Tag = Top Female.

Aug 25, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #11,059 of 15,897
What brand of 256gb micro sd card are you guys using? I'm using a Samsung Evo+ and have heard that people have had issues getting it to play well with the fiio players.

Currently still have the problem of the music app randomly closing or shoing no music on the 256. Mind you, this tends to happen most frequently when playing DSD files. Also happens when playing non-mp3 files.

Aug 25, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #11,060 of 15,897
What brand of 256gb micro sd card are you guys using? I'm using a Samsung Evo+ and have heard that people have had issues getting it to play well with the fiio players.

I'm using 2 x 256gb integral micro sd cards. Encountered no problems so far, although less than 200gb used on each.

Aug 25, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #11,061 of 15,897
Found something good!
Playlist Creator 3.6.2

1. Install
8. Eject X5iii

I guess I'm lucky as my MacBook recognises the Fiio X5iii each and every time (now THAT might just jinx me!).

Gotta admit, a lovely player. Quality of sound that it produces improves the experience greatly. Had it for a couple weeks now and it's delivering. It has its quirks, but nothing insurmountable.

I think that sums up the Fiio X5iii perfectly. Quirky but lovely player, one that produces a smooth, detailed sound quality.

Aug 26, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #11,062 of 15,897
I'm using 2 x 256gb integral micro sd cards. Encountered no problems so far, although less than 200gb used on each.

I deleted some of my bigger, currently not in use DSD albums. Turns out that being under 200GB ensures it works properly.

@FiiO, can we get an update where the player and the fiio music app play better with 256 GB SD cards, especially ones filled to capacity?

Aug 26, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #11,063 of 15,897
Tested the player again. For some reason, the problem of the player freezing during use still occurs with firmware 1.1.4 or 1.1.6. As well as the problem with music stuttering heavily or outright crashing the fiio music app. When reopening the app after force stopping it, it will refuse to open properly. However, when it does occasionally work, when I try to look for music in my 256gb card, it will show nothing, as if there was no files or folders there.

Note that all of these problems are happening in relation to my 256 gb sd card and have begun to occur across the other music apps I've downloaded. This does not happen to my 32gb card, regardless of which sd card slot is being used. I should also mention that this is happening with my sd card filled with less than 200gb of music.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #11,064 of 15,897
Hi all,

I own the X5 III for now 6 months. I was happy with it until this bloody firmware 1.1.7 which introduced very few new features ... but as well some bugs : lost of gapless playback and I also encounter issue with the "resume function":
- when activated it always goes back to one specific file (Vanden Plas song, don't know why, maybe he likes Vanden Plas more than I do (which I cannot blame it for) and wants to play its favorite track ...) and not the file I was on when shutting down the device
- when deactivated, it still resumes !!!

I also mentioned many times the DLNA function is not mature as does not display file info and album art, but still not implemented.

I hesitate to download and install the previous firmware, have some of you guys done the same ?
@FiiO: when will you release a new firmware fixing issues ?

Aug 27, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #11,065 of 15,897
Hi all,

I own the X5 III for now 6 months. I was happy with it until this bloody firmware 1.1.7 which introduced very few new features ... but as well some bugs : lost of gapless playback and I also encounter issue with the "resume function":
- when activated it always goes back to one specific file (Vanden Plas song, don't know why, maybe he likes Vanden Plas more than I do (which I cannot blame it for) and wants to play its favorite track ...) and not the file I was on when shutting down the device

I also mentioned many times the DLNA function is not mature as does not display file info and album art, but still not implemented.

I hesitate to download and install the previous firmware, have some of you guys done the same ?
Agreed about the DNLA functionality. Other DNLA players support screen art, etc. Hopefully this gets fixed or improves.

Aug 27, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #11,066 of 15,897
Just left my Ipod classic on the plane. So, do I buy a new X3iii for travelling, a 2nd X5iii, or leap-frog to X7ii and use the X5iii for travelling? I enjoy my X5 and having 2 would be nice, but then there is the serious question of spending less or even more? Head says X3iii will be fine for planes & holidays, but heart always says buy the best.

Aug 28, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #11,067 of 15,897
Hi all,

soon, i'm testing a beta firmware which solves some of the bugs you're mentionning.

Aug 28, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #11,068 of 15,897
Hi all,

I am very hesitant of installing 1.1.7 for the bugs mentioned in this forum, I am still in 1.1.6 and despite the gapless issue, it works fine.

Aug 29, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #11,069 of 15,897
I am very hesitant of installing 1.1.7 for the bugs mentioned in this forum, I am still in 1.1.6 and despite the gapless issue, it works fine.
I'm staying on firmware 1.1.4 until it gets fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 29, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #11,070 of 15,897
Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back