Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jul 28, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #10,456 of 15,897
So far, so good. I updated the FW to the 1.1.7 release this morning (downloaded and sideloaded rather than OTA) and have been playing my full library on shuffle for the day with no issues -- but then I'm one of those people who have not had any issues with my X5III from day 1. I mostly like the new theme although I miss having the favourite icon right on the Now Playing page.

In addition to new firmware, I also received a notice from Tuff-Luv this morning that a new, corrected version of the X5III/A5 case has been dispatched to me. Hopefully I'll have it sometime early next week and then I'll finally be able to leave my X5III connected to my A5 while it's in the case! I'll post updated pics of the case when I get it for those that are interested.

A good day all around, I'd say.

Jul 28, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #10,461 of 15,897
Sorry to rehash this, but what else did you not like about the X5 3 besides not working with Mojo? Is the X5 3 a bad dap generally speaking in your opinion?

Thanks and again my apologies for rehashing this

Riley

If you like a smooth sound signature, I couldn't recommend x5-3 more.

I had quite some fun testing it and it is one of the daps I do recommend.

Jul 28, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #10,462 of 15,897
If you like a smooth sound signature, I couldn't recommend x5-3 more.

I had quite some fun testing it and it is one of the daps I do recommend.

Hi there! I have read some different complaints on this thread and other dap threads about the X5 3 being kind of a mess with problems. I am not claiming this or not agreeing. Just curious what the general consensus is on the X5 3 more than anything. I have my mind made up on a dap already.

Thank you

Riley

Jul 28, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #10,463 of 15,897
Hi there! I have read some different complaints on this thread and other dap threads about the X5 3 being kind of a mess with problems. I am not claiming this or not agreeing. Just curious what the general consensus is on the X5 3 more than anything. I have my mind made up on a dap already.

Thank you

Riley

There isn't a consensus to speak of, I just didn't find any heavy problems to speak about and I tested many features on x5-3.

The thing is that fiio allowed me to test it for 5 days only back then, so maybe I didn't have time to discover all things related to it, but from my short experience with it, I do recommend it.

Jul 28, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #10,464 of 15,897
I'm one of the lucky few who haven't had any issues I guess ☺️ Just updated fw and so far everything is great. Back to using this solo, the idsd bl did sound slightly thicker and slightly more resolving, but it was also more v shaped and hard for me to listen to for too long. I'm mainly using se846, but I bet alot of more power hungry headphones could benefit from an amp.
20170728_132919.jpg

Jul 28, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #10,465 of 15,897

Thank you

Riley
It is a given that people with what they consider to be a problem post more than those that are happy. Many of the things reported here have a very specific cause that may only effect a small part of the general population of owners. There are others, such as USB output problems that seem to be pretty universal, but if someone does not use this functionality, it is not something to worry about. I am one of the people that have had no significant issues with mine. I have a very simple use case, however. I don't use streaming nor very many playlists. I generally set the device to random play though all of my 40,000 song library. There are times when there can be a second or so delay when manually changing songs to the second Micro SD card, but this does not bother me at all. I would like it if it was more responsive in some situations and that it booted quicker, but again, these are minor inconveniences for me.
If I take into consideration how much I like the sound of the device and the number of features that are working, and I look at the price, I am perfectly happy with my X5 III.
I suppose that there are "better" DAPs out there, but not for the price.

Fiio is also continuing to work on problems that they know about. I feel confident that many if not most of them will be resolved in time.
Software development simply takes time. Look at Microsoft and even Apple, even with the vast resources they have avaialble. They are still trying to make everything work... 30 years later.

I am not a fan boy by any stretch of the imagination, but I am a realist. All in all, I am very happy that I purchased my X5 III.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #10,466 of 15,897
It is a given that people with what they consider to be a problem post more than those that are happy. Many of the things reported here have a very specific cause that may only effect a small part of the general population of owners. There are others, such as USB output problems that seem to be pretty universal, but if someone does not use this functionality, it is not something to worry about. I am one of the people that have had no significant issues with mine. I have a very simple use case, however. I don't use streaming nor very many playlists. I generally set the device to random play though all of my 40,000 song library. There are times when there can be a second or so delay when manually changing songs to the second Micro SD card, but this does not bother me at all. I would like it if it was more responsive in some situations and that it booted quicker, but again, these are minor inconveniences for me.
If I take into consideration how much I like the sound of the device and the number of features that are working, and I look at the price, I am perfectly happy with my X5 III.
I suppose that there are "better" DAPs out there, but not for the price.

Fiio is also continuing to work on problems that they know about. I feel confident that many if not most of them will be resolved in time.
Software development simply takes time. Look at Microsoft and even Apple, even with the vast resources they have avaialble. They are still trying to make everything work... 30 years later.

I am not a fan boy by any stretch of the imagination, but I am a realist. All in all, I am very happy that I purchased my X5 III.

I agree with these sentiments. I do use Qobuz and Tidal and I do experience the Tidal stream breaks but I get the impression from earlier in the thread that this could be a Tidal problem and not just to do with the X5 III. Hope this helps :)

Jul 28, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #10,467 of 15,897
It seems that more DAPs have had problems with Tidal so i think that the original Tidal devs will eventually look into it and fix it, so that should be solved.

USB out is something I do lots with my smartphone to watch videos, I don't see a big reason to do it with a DAP, iDSD BL loves my Mi Max though.

All in all, there is little to complain, I don't generally expect something to read all characters from all languages and such, and that is because I absolutely never use my own language with something, so everything I have is in English and not Romanian. If I am to be honest, if something is generally readable by foobar after a fresh install, it is by x5-3 as well.

Jul 28, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #10,469 of 15,897
Sorry to rehash this, but what else did you not like about the X5 3 besides not working with Mojo? Is the X5 3 a bad dap generally speaking in your opinion?

Riley
It was mainly the UI. It worked fine with my Mojo via Coax. I did not like how slow it was, i mainly compared it to my Onkyo DP-X1 which to me was light years better on all aspects. Now no one should take this the wrong way, I think Fiio is a great company who to focus to much on customer satisfaction. FiiO has to not try and please everyone out there as when they try to fix one thing it messes up something else.
The sound was good but there was something i did not like with the bass. Im actually trying to get away from all of these different DAPs and just get 2-3 reliable DAPs with great UI and focus on great portable IEMs.

Jul 28, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #10,470 of 15,897

Riley
why not use PM ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back