Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jul 23, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #10,381 of 15,899
I received my X5 stacking kit Thursday -- works great with my CypherLabs AlgoRhythm Duet. Amp is slightly wider, about 30% thicker and exactly the same length. I'm using the long bands diagonally.

The stack sounds great balanced to my HE-560s. Compares very well to my Plenue 2. Maybe a slightly more open stage on the P2. Mids & vocals might be a little more forward on the X5. But the diffs are subtle enough that I'm unsure I could pick them out in a blind A/B test.

I still think the P2 is great. But given the steal I got on my Duet, the stack is half the cost of the P2, and I'm elated with the sound.

Of course the extra power is a bonus. P2 drives everything I have now just fine, but with little to spare. 560s need 110 - 120 / 140. By comparison, the Duet is at about 30% on low gain. Given that gains are -6 dB, +3.5 dB & +15 dB (L/M/H), there's lots of headroom if I go to something more demanding.

Jul 23, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #10,382 of 15,899
Quick question on other DAP's when you get to one of your main music folders with sub folders there is always a Play All feature, this makes it easy to just play everything within the main folder however I can't figure out how to perform this type of action on this unit. Any thoughts?

Do you have 'Play Through Folders' on?

Jul 23, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #10,384 of 15,899
Quick question on other DAP's when you get to one of your main music folders with sub folders there is always a Play All feature, this makes it easy to just play everything within the main folder however I can't figure out how to perform this type of action on this unit. Any thoughts?

Play-through-folders is a FiiO Music setting. You have to scroll down a ways to find it. Works fine on my X5. For example, Neil Young Decade has Disc 1 & Disc 2 sub-folders. If I touch the play icon on the parent folder, plays disc 1 and then goes right into disc 2. That's what you're looking for, correct?

Jul 23, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #10,385 of 15,899
Jul 23, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #10,386 of 15,899
What battery issues??

I thought I remembered a few people saying their batteries didn't last as long as they should. I haven't kept up as much on this thread for a while and I took a Head-Fi break so I very well could be not remembering correctly. My apologies if this is the case. I thought this happened early on, but Ii could be wrong.

Thank you

Riley

Jul 23, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #10,387 of 15,899
I thought I remembered a few people saying their batteries didn't last as long as they should. I haven't kept up as much on this thread for a while and I took a Head-Fi break so I very well could be not remembering correctly. My apologies if this is the case. I thought this happened early on, but Ii could be wrong.

Thank you

Riley

Yes people with BT and Wifi on did, are and probably will face the issue. But i get a solid 7 hours from the DAP with mixed use. I therefore, havent encountered any battery issues as such.

Jul 23, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #10,388 of 15,899
Yes people with BT and Wifi on did, are and probably will face the issue. But i get a solid 7 hours from the DAP with mixed use. I therefore, havent encountered any battery issues as such.

I won't be using WiFi or Blueteooth or any wireless or internet or stuff. Only music on micro sd cards. Is the 7 hours it lasts you until it goes dead or until you recharge? I need 10 hours of battery life so this would be helpful to know.

Thank you

Riley

Jul 23, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #10,389 of 15,899

Thank you

Riley
Yes they were very unhappy with 8 to 9 hr dap battery.

Jul 23, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #10,391 of 15,899
Oh okay so it wasn't the battery was running down more quickly it was just users unhappy with the battery life that was as it was designed to be. Interesting So I would not be able to get 10 hours playing only mp3 music then?

Thank you

Riley

Actually there was a battery issue which was resolved a few firmware releases ago. Wifi wakelocks were getting set and not released, so the battery was draining to Wifi even when Wifi was 'off'. Again fixed a while ago. If you search for 'wakelock' in this thread you can find a better, more detailed explanation.

Jul 23, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #10,392 of 15,899
Oh okay so it wasn't the battery was running down more quickly it was just users unhappy with the battery life that was as it was designed to be. Interesting So I would not be able to get 10 hours playing only mp3 music then?

Thank you

Riley
I get 8 hrs playing music with an App.

Jul 23, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #10,393 of 15,899
Got an X5 Gen 3 here that I will be posting my thoughts shortly with in a few weeks. So far I'm very impressed with the value that this DAP has to offer. I'm trying to hook it up via USB to my Hugo 2 to use it as a digital transport and I can play regular music just fine, but it seems to stall with DSD files. Anyone have any recommendations or experiences here when pairing this with a Mojo, Hugo or Hugo 2?

Hi,
know someone who has used usb. By OTG you need a third-party application such as Onkyo HF. He is content with sound.

Jul 23, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #10,394 of 15,899
Hey everyone, just out of curiosity I could not find anything on this but can the fiio x5 3rd gen power fostex t50rp mk3? The original x5 does okay but wondering how the 3rd gen does in this task.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back