Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jun 1, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #9,451 of 15,897
FiiO support ignores my question mail.
FiiO replies to this thread that is convenient matter for FiiO.
My question seems to be inconvenient for them. So I wonder if I was put on blacklist?Ha ha...

I doubt they would ever do that even in jest :)

Jun 1, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #9,452 of 15,897
My question seems to be inconvenient for them. So I wonder if I was put on blacklist?Ha ha...

How about putting your question in the open thread instead of a vague comment alluding to your secret query and the conspiracy to ignore it.
You'll notice several other posters asking questions. It's what this thread is for.

Jun 2, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #9,455 of 15,897
I am surprised to not find an option to limit the volume in the options.

@FiiO do you know if this is planned ?

Dear friend,

Not sure which function is the one you prefer. Here is custom and max volume option in the setting menu of the FiiO Music:
Custom volume:
With Custom, you can choose a particular volume level from 30 to 120 to be set to when the FiiO Music turns on.
You cannot set the maximum volume to 0 to prevent there being no sound output after turning the FiiO Music on.
Max volume:
You can set the maximum volume limit of FiiO Music from 30 to 120. You cannot set the maximum volume to 0 to prevent there being no sound output after turning the FiiO Music on.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 2, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #9,456 of 15,897

Dear friend,

We missed you mail or post? Maybe we haven't replied the mail you sent as we had a three-days holiday before. Sometimes our email system would be weird and intercept some mails. You may inform us your email address and we will have a check about this. Sorry if bringing inconvenience to you.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 2, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #9,457 of 15,897
Dear friend,

If you play the song via category instead from the folder the song in, the playlist may be the playlist of category instead of the folder.

Best regards
Dear friend,

If you play the song via category instead from the folder the song in, the playlist may be the playlist of category instead of the folder.

Best regards
No, same thing. I would like to play the full album of a song being played in the shuffle mode from 2 SD cards

Jun 2, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #9,458 of 15,897
Just received my Fiio 53rd gen- have HD650 on my schiit main dac setup but will do most listening about 1-2 hours 90% w m50 cans in my bed w bad back and Fiio 5 x3- the x5 dacs seem good sounding but perhaps an amp might help- ive narrowed my choices to the fostex portable hp-v1 tube amp $424 - never had tubes before, thus fostex option since my ears hear higher ranges, not bass much at all- or the chord mojo $500. The Fiio 5 DAC sound fine to me so dont esp need the mojo's FGPA DAC but I see many users raving about the chord. I cant actually audition either here in nj. Spending $130 on the portable Fiio A5 amp(have not seen much user feedback on A5 amp) may be better put to the price of the fostex or chord amp. Suggestion- foster, mojo, or something else

Jun 2, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #9,459 of 15,897
Just received my Fiio 53rd gen- have HD650 on my schiit main dac setup but will do most listening about 1-2 hours 90% w m50 cans in my bed w bad back and Fiio 5 x3- the x5 dacs seem good sounding but perhaps an amp might help- ive narrowed my choices to the fostex portable hp-v1 tube amp $424 - never had tubes before, thus fostex option since my ears hear higher ranges, not bass much at all- or the chord mojo $500. The Fiio 5 DAC sound fine to me so dont esp need the mojo's FGPA DAC but I see many users raving about the chord. I cant actually audition either here in nj. Spending $130 on the portable Fiio A5 amp(have not seen much user feedback on A5 amp) may be better put to the price of the fostex or chord amp. Suggestion- foster, mojo, or something else

Hi, i just wanna ask how do m50 sounds with these? We have kinda similar setups. My desktop is schiit amp with hd6xx. my portable is m50x, i wanna know if they will be ok with x5 3rd gen.

Jun 2, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #9,460 of 15,897

For an inexpensive tube amp that you can roll tubes on very easily I would recommend you take a listen to one of the tube amps from, http://www.garage1217.com/index.html. I use a Project Ember and love it.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #9,461 of 15,897
Hi guys, just wanna ask how these synergize with the Audio Technica M50x. That's currently my portable HPs and wanna know if they work well together.
I have a pair of M50Xs, I'll try to have a listen today and feedback to you.

Jun 2, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #9,462 of 15,897
Hi guys, just wanna ask how these synergize with the Audio Technica M50x. That's currently my portable HPs and wanna know if they work well together.

Ok, just had a listen - not an exhaustive test but a listen straight out of the X5.3 and also via the Cayin C5 amp. The M50Xs work very nicely, possibly the best I've heard them. Plenty of high frequency definition without harshness, low end is there though perhaps a little understated. Soundstage is as reasonable as you would expect from these cans and overall presentation has a nice quality of air to it. They do benefit from the additional amp (C5) but I was pleasantly surprised with the result running straight out of the Fiio. You don't need an amp, but you'll probably want one! I listened to Chan Chan (Buena Vista Social Club), Matangi (M.I.A.), Rock Steady (Aretha Franklin), Pink Panther Theme (Boston Philharmonic (I think)) - all sounded impressive with the Pink Panther Theme being presented especially well.

HOWEVER - and I know this is not what you were asking, but I'll give my slightly off-topic advice anyway - the M50s pale in comparison to the LZ A4 and if you were an IRL friend of mine, (depending on your current source) I would advise you look at buying new headphones/earphones before upgrading your DAP. I loved the M50s when I was using them but since I have bought more capable gear I don't use them much at all. In terms of soundstage, bass presentation, detail, layering, entire experience - the LZ A4s walk all over the M50s - that's an IEM slamming a full size circumaural headphone.

If you have no interest in upgrading your cans, I can tell you that you will enjoy the X5III paired with the M50Xs.

Jun 2, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #9,463 of 15,897
After lots of listening, I've concluded that the 'flat' sound stage I hear from this DAP is due to the amp. In listening to Sgt Peppers 50th anniversary tracks (comparing to original stereo mix), I switched between all my rigs:

DAC mode configurations
=====================
PC ==> Ultra-Fi ==> Shadow
PC ==> Ultra-Fi ==> Topping N5

PC ==> Cowon Plenue 2 (balanced out)
PC ==> Cowon Plenue 2 (SE out) ==> Shadow
PC ==> Cowon Plenue 2 (SE out) ==> Topping

PC ==> X5iii (balanced out)
PC ==> X5iii (line out) ==> Shadow
PC ==> X5iii (line out) ==> Topping

DAP mode configurations
=====================
Cowon Plenue 2 (SE out)
Cowon Plenue 2 (balanced out)
Cowon Plenue 2 (SE out) ==> Shadow
Cowon Plenue 2 (SE out) ==> Topping

X5iii (SE out)
X5iii (balanced out)
X5iii (line out) ==> Shadow
X5iii (line out) ==> Topping

Transducers are Monolith M1060 & iBasso IT03 both with 2.5mm TRRS balanced connections. Use a 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRS adapter to listen to SE amps/outputs. Same source files on PC @ DAPs -- 24bit FLAC (down-sampled to 16bit for output to the Ultra-Fi which doesn't do 24bit).

Lots of interesting/subtle differences but the bottom line is there's less depth to the sound stage from the X5 amp (SE or balanced) and more depth when something else is doing the amping.

Good news is that the X5 ==> Shadow configuration ties for top slot. It's a multi-way tie, as I can hear subtle differences between some of the configurations, but can't really say better/worse. Looking forward to see if the Fireye HDB competes with the Shadow (marginally preferred over the Topping, which seems slightly bright).

If you're interested, here are my impressions of the new vs old mixes of Sgt. Peppers:

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/sgt-pepper-50th-anniversary-releases.851092/page-2#post-13525401

Jun 2, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #9,464 of 15,897
@LCMusicLover , I'm more interested on your take of the pairing of X5iii and Fireye HDB. I'd like to do a smaller balanced amp. I was thinking something from RSA...but he hasn't updated his stuff in a zillion years.

Jun 2, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #9,465 of 15,897
@LCMusicLover , I'm more interested on your take of the pairing of X5iii and Fireye HDB. I'd like to do a smaller balanced amp. I was thinking something from RSA...but he hasn't updated his stuff in a zillion years.

MassDrop says they'll ship June 6 -- should receive sometimes next week. I was looking for a Lightning when the Fireye drop showed up. Shadow does sound very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back