Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
May 26, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #9,286 of 15,897
Hiya folks! I've finished my time with the X5iii tour unit that came to me. If you want to check out some reviewing, complete with my idiotic humour, feel free to check out the review.

Summary: good sounding mid-fi player with attractive, if not ergonomic build, and tons of features, but with middling amplification. Balanced out hissed with Kaiser Encore. Not a giant killer, people should stop saying that.

Some other things to note, from FiiO's specs, the balanced output has less power, more noise, and higher output impedance, but it does have better channel separation. I don't know how they did that, but I'd guess that the balanced was more of a consumer throw in than fully realised design.

Agree almost on everything. Hope FiiO will be able fix issues with the sound which are caused by software issues. And RAM is too small.

May 26, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #9,287 of 15,897
Probably the results of all of your audio "training". Preconceptions, once established, are hard to get around.
There are many variables to consider not limited to how the files are encoded then decoded in a device mastering and volume matching, which make unconditional statements like this meaningless.

I don't know anything about your audio "training", but it results are certain to me.
Of course, there is lots of variables. But it is silly to state that DSD difference from FLAC it is unaudible. If your equipment (including ears) are limited, your statements are even more meaningless. Sorry for some rudeness. 1:1 :)

May 26, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #9,288 of 15,897
I do respect everybody's opinion here, but what is that silliness of talking about formats? Just do as you please and just enjoy. Regarding the latest review of the X5iii though, wow, that was harsh... I am just wondering (I am kind of a numbers guy) how much the SQ improves over double the price? is it double good? a 25% better?

I think for US $400 the X5iii is unbeatable and seriously, comparing it to a phone is a joke. Let me state this clearly, there is not device in this price range that can beat the X5iii and pretty sure the improvement in SQ for double the price is not double as good (I would say not +25% as good, but that is more my assumption).

May 26, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #9,289 of 15,897
Maybe being an old fart has something to do with this question, but why do people review music players and other electronic devices and spend any time at all talking about the box? Who cares about such trivial stuff? As long as it doesn't bounce around in shipping that's all that I care about the subject. I take it out of the box and I'm done with it.

Anyway, for me the X5iii sounds great, works well. I already forgot what the box looks like. lol

May 26, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #9,290 of 15,897
Maybe being an old fart has something to do with this question, but why do people review music players and other electronic devices and spend any time at all talking about the box? Who cares about such trivial stuff? As long as it doesn't bounce around in shipping that's all that I care about the subject. I take it out of the box and I'm done with it.

Anyway, for me the X5iii sounds great, works well. I already forgot what the box looks like. lol
Amen. I went looking for the X5 III box the other day. I had to strain to remember what it looks like. If it wasn't for the potential to increase resale value, I would just throw them all away. I have enough clutter as it is.

May 26, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #9,293 of 15,897
I`m in shuffle mode most of the time and when I want to hear the full album of the track playing, I have to do several steps to access the album, play the first track and change the shuffle mode to forward track reading.
I have a request for FIIO, when in shuffle mode, it would be nice to have a button to go to straight to the first track of the album playing and have the mode change for forward reading (first to last).
Thank you

May 26, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #9,294 of 15,897
Dear Brooko,

With all respect, but I can't agree with you. The most precious device I have - my ears. Pity, they are not certified and never will be reviewed :) Some experience in sound engineering, DJ and HiFi trained my perception of sound. If you can't discern lossy from lossless .... How to say it polite? Well... How then you can discern sound from good player or bad? Only with good recordings you are able to judge in real capabilities of equipment - at this point everything starts. By my opinion nowadays most of portable gear sound it is tuned for lossy files to sound them more or less good.
Why I still on this thread? I believe that FiiO it is listening and FiiO X5 III have potential to sound better. My ears are in use for custom tuning we do here.
Hope, some positive critic will be good for all.
Yes, I am critical. And will be :)
Peace and music. Let's enjoy. And seek for best - great gear for fair price.
have you compared onkyo dpxi to FiiO x5 my Fiio is 4 years old-coming back to music after playing computer games for last 4 years, hoping that spotify and tidal have the best sound I sought 4 years ago

May 26, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #9,295 of 15,897
May 26, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #9,296 of 15,897
On good equipment it is easy discern difference between FLAC and DSD.
Considering how little music is actually recorded direct to DSD, the statement is meaningless. Most DSD releases are PCM recordings which are then transcoded to DSD. So any perceived differences will be in volume or in the transcode. Again - if its a true DSD recording, I'm almost guaranteeing any difference to PCM will be in noise shaping algorithms, volume differences, or more likely in mastering.

Anyway - can we stop with this. if you want a debate - take it to Sound Science. Discussing which format is "subjectively" best (and making your statements about them) is actually off topic in context to the X5iii discussion. And yes - this last sentence is with my "Mod hat" on.

May 26, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #9,297 of 15,897
Unboxing videos are just ridiculous.
Well some people have all day to waste on viewing videos of boxes , cases and screen protectors.

May 26, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #9,298 of 15,897
I just got my new Fiio X5 3rd gen on Tuesday and I've never been able to boot past the red welcome screen. I've done extensive research and tried to hold the power button for 15-20 seconds but it just turns off and automatically turns back on to the welcome screen. Any ideas? I need to know before I have to return it altogether.

May 26, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #9,299 of 15,897
I just got my new Fiio X5 3rd gen on Tuesday and I've never been able to boot past the red welcome screen. I've done extensive research and tried to hold the power button for 15-20 seconds but it just turns off and automatically turns back on to the welcome screen. Any ideas? I need to know before I have to return it altogether.

Why dont you try going into the recovery mode and doing a factory reset from there. Just a suggestion if you haven't already tried it.

May 26, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #9,300 of 15,897
have you compared onkyo dpxi to FiiO x5 my Fiio is 4 years old-coming back to music after playing computer games for last 4 years, hoping that spotify and tidal have the best sound I sought 4 years ago
If your wondering which is better overall between DP-X1 and X5iii, I myself prefer the DP-X1 in all aspects. I have owned and still own the DP-X1 for well over a year and love it! I recently bought the X5iii and think its a great device as well and listening to it as I write this. The X5iii would have been a best buy if they would have put 2gbs of RAM, its really slow at times which is my really only issue with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back