Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 28, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #8,288 of 15,897
Looks like a holiday for Fiio. So probably no firmware update until after

i don't mind Fiio taking as much time as they need to deliver a stable a relatively bug free firmware.

A lot of people complaining about the next firmware taking too much time to be delivered are often the same complaining about bugs not being fixed when getting very frequent updates.

Apr 28, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #8,289 of 15,897
Hello fellow X5 3G-ers,

First, a sincere thank you to this forum for influencing my portable audio purchases over the years: Senn HD-25, ATH-ESW9, IE-80 & IE-800, Fiio X5 ii & iii (and probably more I can’t remember).

I’ve been a very content X5 iii user for a month now. Zero issues syncing/updating content from two Macbook Pros. Suddenly yesterday, my X5 iii will no longer mount / won’t enter Android file transfer mode when connected to a Macbook. It does show the device as charging when connected to a Mac, and will reach full charge, but will not mount on any desktop. As far as troubleshooting, I’ve tried the following:

-Tried multiple issue-free USB cables
-Tried multiple Macbooks/issue-free USB ports
-Executed a factory data reset/rebooted numerous times
-Removed and re-inserted both MicroSD cards successfully (current library is loading fine)
-Confirmed the device is in Android Mode
-Confirmed the device is set to storage and not USB DAC
-Checked for firmware updates

I’m at a total loss. Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions? Huge thanks in advance.

Best,
Andrew

Apr 28, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #8,290 of 15,897
Hello fellow X5 3G-ers,

First, a sincere thank you to this forum for influencing my portable audio purchases over the years: Senn HD-25, ATH-ESW9, IE-80 & IE-800, Fiio X5 ii & iii (and probably more I can’t remember).

I’ve been a very content X5 iii user for a month now. Zero issues syncing/updating content from two Macbook Pros. Suddenly yesterday, my X5 iii will no longer mount / won’t enter Android file transfer mode when connected to a Macbook. It does show the device as charging when connected to a Mac, and will reach full charge, but will not mount on any desktop. As far as troubleshooting, I’ve tried the following:

-Tried multiple issue-free USB cables
-Tried multiple Macbooks/issue-free USB ports
-Executed a factory data reset/rebooted numerous times
-Removed and re-inserted both MicroSD cards successfully (current library is loading fine)
-Confirmed the device is in Android Mode
-Confirmed the device is set to storage and not USB DAC
-Checked for firmware updates

I’m at a total loss. Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions? Huge thanks in advance.

Best,
Andrew
Try this https://www.android.com/filetransfer/ , always worked on my recently retired Mac with Android devices. Can't explain why it worked and then didn't.

Apr 28, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #8,291 of 15,897
i don't mind Fiio taking as much time as they need to deliver a stable a relatively bug free firmware.

A lot of people complaining about the next firmware taking too much time to be delivered are often the same complaining about bugs not being fixed when getting very frequent updates.
I agree completely. FiiO is in a "Catch 22" situation...everybody wants frequent fixes and updates to the firmware or complains if it "takes too long" (how long is that, by the way? Quesound averaged 3 to 4 months between updates for the QP1R, when I had it, and it had several issues...bugs to me...that still needed fixin', but I digress). On the other hand, "we" tend to complain if too few things are fixed in the frequent updates. (Did y'all get all that?) :nerd:

Frequent firmware updates most likely equate to fewer fixes/improvements. The question is, do you want weekly firmware updates that fix few issues, or less frequent updates that actually have a significant number of fixes or improvements?

That's the pickle we are putting FiiO into...you know, that small company with just a few engineers for firmware fixes (?)... No, everybody isn't going to be instantly happy, but their (FiiO's) support sure beats the heck out of some of the TOTL gear makers I've dealt with...

My two pennies...All above is IMHO and YMMV...

Cheers!:beerchug: (Okay, this is nuts...please make it full size again and I want all our Head-Fi emoji's back! Wait...did I say that aloud..?)
-HK sends

P.S. - Yes, I know...I'll rant about site formatting on that other thread. Sorry, I was on a roll...:blush:

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #8,292 of 15,897
I mostly use the fiio app in pure music mode, but sometimes listen to new music with other apps. i have found that the hardware buttons: volume, play/ pause,next /previous song only work about half the time with the third party apps i am using. I use Napster/rhapsody and have also tested with pandora. when i find the buttons are not working a reboot brings them back. . I also use the fiio Bluetooth remote at times, and when the hardware buttons dont work its the same for the remote. Its a little frustrating, and wondering if i am missing a setting somewhere. does this also happen for those using spotify and tidal?

Apr 28, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #8,293 of 15,897
Is it me or is the new site layout discouraging more people from posting. Honestly I haven't seen so few a post in a day on this thread like ever. But then maybe I'm just stupid. Viva X5 III

Apr 28, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #8,294 of 15,897
Is it me or is the new site layout discouraging more people from posting. Honestly I haven't seen so few a post in a day on this thread like ever. But then maybe I'm just stupid. Viva X5 III
Heck, just figuring out how to post is a challenge, along with editing, seeing who's online, or even getting to the end of the thread...:anguished:

But I LOVE my FiiO X5 Gen 3! (had to stay OT too...):smiling_imp:

Cheers!:beerchug: (*sigh*)
-HK sends

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #8,295 of 15,897
Heck, just figuring out how to post is a challenge, along with editing, seeing who's online, or even getting to the end of the thread...:anguished:

But I LOVE my FiiO X5 Gen 3! (had to stay OT too...):smiling_imp:

Cheers!:beerchug: (*sigh*)
-HK sends

Thank God! I already was afraid I was getting old and stupid :confounded:. The "new" Head-Fi is really not easy to use. But fortunately the X5 III is reducing the pain......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back