Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 22, 2017 at 3:46 AM Post #8,071 of 15,899
Weren't they supposed to release 1.1.5 last week..? Either they hit a major roadblock or they are giving us something new which takes time
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know why they remain silent on the next firmware. Two days ago they wrote their "OTA server is not quite stable". But, if the firmware is ready, I thnk they can provide a direct download link on Dropbox while OTA is not working.

May be they think that now X5 III sales are big, there is no need to hurry with firmware releases ?
confused_face_2.gif

I hope I am wrong, and that they will update us soon....

Dear antz123,

You can get the build number from Settings(Android mode)--About device. Our OTA server is not quite stable and we will ask our engineers to have a look at it. Sorry if bringing inconvenience.

Best regards  

Apr 22, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #8,072 of 15,899

Because you said 'you don't need power for volume' and claimed it was for dynamics. 
wink_face.gif
 Not trying to bust you up, but some comments raise a flag.

I haven't heard the ie80 or ie800 but looking at the specs what you claim makes no sense. Could your ie800 be plugged with ear wax? I don't know, and I agree this is getting off topic. The only way to be sure is to measure the output.

Yes, volume is not power. My old Cowon C2 can make HD650 louder but no way closer to drive them properly.
X5 3 drives them far better than the C2 but again not to its full potential.

A 150cc bike going at 100 Kph and a 500cc or 1000cc doing same with ease, autbority and control.
Just trying to explain when people say you don't need an amp to power hard to drive phones. Even the 18 Ohms Momentum sounds better with an amp.

I know some people feel the other way but I am happy with an amp. That's what matters right.

Apr 22, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #8,073 of 15,899

Because you said 'you don't need power for volume' and claimed it was for dynamics. 
wink_face.gif

I haven't heard the ie80 or ie800 but looking at the specs what you claim makes no sense. Could your ie800 be plugged with ear wax? I don't know, and I agree this is getting off topic. The only way to be sure is to measure the output.

Yes, volume is not power. My old Cowon C2 can make HD650 louder but no way closer to drive them properly.

A 150cc bike going at 100 Kph and a 500cc or 1000cc doing same with ease, autbority and control.
Just trying to explain when people say you don't need an amp to power hard to drive phones. Even the 18 Ohms Momentum sounds better with an amp.

I know some people feel the other way but I am happy with an amp. That's what matters right.

Of course! 
gs1000.gif

How you feel with what you have is the most important aspect! 

I also hear the improvements in control and authority using a strong amp with X5ii. Cannot explain how or why, but the whole sound is better controlled, there is a faster response of the driver itself. 

Apr 22, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #8,076 of 15,899

wink_face.gif
 Not trying to bust you up, but some comments raise a flag.

Define full potential. Explain what factor is reproducing the sound better to one's ears. Power=loudness. Turn up the volume and you supply more power. Leave the volume low and you don't supply as much power. The quality of the amp will come through (good or bad) whether you supply a small or a large amount of power (volume). Also, power comes with some caveats... like... is there enough Current delivery for a particular headphone?

There are many other factors like impedance, distortion, Voltage swing, SNR, channel separation, to name a few that affect the sound quality, not just power output. It's all about the amp design, not just raw power specs is all I'm saying. For some reason many think that power output is the only factor to consider. I've heard powerful amps drive my headphones/IEMs like crap, and I've heard weaker amps drive my headphones/IEMs sublimely. Well designed gear matters, not just power (if there is already enough).

It's the same thing as when I read that balanced headphones sound better. Nope, it's the amp's balanced design that sounds better, the headphones are just playing what the amp is sending, the headphones don't change. Terminology is important or else myths are born, repeated, and it becomes truth to many, but it's wrong.

That said, I never said there is anything wrong with adding an amp, and if one prefers the amp to whatever they use as a source, or if the amp quality improves the source, then yes, that's what truly matters.

Apr 22, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #8,077 of 15,899

Define full potential. Explain what factor is reproducing the sound better to one's ears. Power=loudness. Turn up the volume and you supply more power. Leave the volume low and you don't supply as much power. The quality of the amp will come through (good or bad) whether you supply a small or a large amount of power (volume). Also, power comes with some caveats... like... is there enough Current delivery for a particular headphone?

There are many other factors like impedance, distortion, Voltage swing, SNR, channel separation, to name a few that affect the sound quality, not just power output. It's all about the amp design, not just raw power specs is all I'm saying. For some reason many think that power output is the only factor to consider. I've heard powerful amps drive my headphones/IEMs like crap, and I've heard weaker amps drive my headphones/IEMs sublimely. Well designed gear matters, not just power (if there is already enough).

It's the same thing as when I read that balanced headphones sound better. Nope, it's the amp's balanced design that sounds better, the headphones are just playing what the amp is sending, the headphones don't change. Terminology is important or else myths are born, repeated, and it becomes truth to many, but it's wrong.

That said, I never said there is anything wrong with adding an amp, and if one prefers the amp to whatever they use as a source, or if the amp quality improves the source, then yes, that's truly what matters.

But I really agree with you there! 

For one thing, I don't like all strong AMPs out there, and there are more things - many more things to consider! 

Apr 22, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #8,078 of 15,899

I don't know why they remain silent on the next firmware. Two days ago they wrote their "OTA server is not quite stable". But, if the firmware is ready, I thnk they can provide a direct download link on Dropbox while OTA is not working.

May be they think that now X5 III sales are big, there is no need to hurry with firmware releases ?
confused_face_2.gif

I hope I am wrong, and that they will update us soon....

Let us hope we are next: http://www.fiio.net/en/story/552 since this is for X1-ii

Apr 22, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #8,080 of 15,899
:d I really like Fiio x5iii.
I will just keep my V20 as a phone.
It's a lot lighter and easily to hold and move around.

I will be getting my Periodic MGs today will look forward to that.

Also hope they realize new firmware soon.

Apr 22, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #8,081 of 15,899
Listening to Lady Fantasy - Camel on X5 III + A5 + Whizzer A15 (chi-fi) and it sounds just so melodious. I really like what im hearing 
L3000.gif

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #8,083 of 15,899

Listen to Lady Fantasy - Camel on X5 III + A5 + Whizzer A15 (chi-fi) and it sounds just so melodious. I really like what im hearing 
L3000.gif

Fine musik !

You hear the version from 75 or the remaster from 02 ?

Regards,
Jürgen

Thank you!
Nimrodel is also great. AFAIK this is the 02 remaster

Apr 22, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #8,085 of 15,899

Users who are viewing this thread

Back