Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 21, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #8,014 of 15,899
I know you had/have many expensive daps so how is this inexpensive dap sounding for you ?

Hardly.  I've had a couple of ipod touch 64 gig (both second hand/refurb so less than full retail)a ye olde iriver H120, couple of modded ipod classics that didn't go so well and more recently a sony a35.  The sony sounds really good for it's price and if it had bookmark/resume function I would have been happy with it but it didn't and that's why I picked up a fiio x5-III.   As for sound can't comment yet as not set it up.  That's for the weekend.  

Apr 21, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #8,015 of 15,899
Ok guys, after doing many A/B comparisons, I must say that I noticed that single mode sounds better than balanced to my ears. On 3.5mm the sound seem to have more clarity and even more dynamic (I can hear more nuances). This seem a little oddly and want to know if someone else experienced such feeling. Anyway I didn't found balanced to be hissy as stated here before.

Apr 21, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #8,016 of 15,899
  I, too, am anxiously awaiting the new firmware drop to get the fix for the volume drops on the K5 dock when resuming paused playback. Once I've got that fix, I'll be a very happy listener.

If we have to wait very much longer there will be a risk of anti-climax. The longer we wait the higher our expectation.

Apr 21, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #8,017 of 15,899
  Ok guys, after doing many A/B comparisons, I must say that I noticed that single mode sounds better than balanced to my ears. On 3.5mm the sound seem to have more clarity and even more dynamic (I can hear more nuances). This seem a little oddly and want to know if someone else experienced such feeling. Anyway I didn't found balanced to be hissy as stated here before.

It depends on what iems or cans your using as well. I have had some bad experiences using a balanced cable and my Pono. Out of some earphones my Z5 it sounds top notch but using something like a FX850 it sounds terrible.  Don't know why on some phones it sounds so much better in balanced over others. 

Apr 21, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #8,018 of 15,899

It depends on what iems or cans your using as well. I have had some bad experiences using a balanced cable and my Pono. Out of some earphones my Z5 it sounds top notch but using something like a FX850 it sounds terrible.  Don't know why on some phones it sounds so much better in balanced over others. 

If you poke around, you'll find audio techie people who argue that a 'correctly done' single-ended amp can sound better than a balanced amp.  The discussions get into a bunch of EE stuff which I don't pretend to understand.

For me, my IT03s sound better balanced out of the X5iii. Also out of the P2 I'm trying to return. I say 'trying' 'cuz it keeps sticking to my hand, jumping into my pocket, and hiding under my pillow 
triportsad.gif

<edit> Of couse the IT03's might sound better because the balanced upgrade cable I'm using is an improvement over the stock SE cable. And, of course, I can't discount the placebo effect.

Apr 21, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #8,019 of 15,899

I may be in the same boat, although I'm not sure yet.  I impulsively bought a Cowon Plenue 2.  At first, I didn't hear enough difference to justify the cost, and figured I'd just return the P2.  But, as the Cowon has burned in, I'm starting to waver.  The Cowon plays as USB/DAC out of my iPhone, which I couldn't get the X5iii to do, so the whole streaming thing becomes a (mostly) non-issue.

Why not find a volume level match with one song on the two DAPs and get a friend to help you do a blind listening test? Do say 10 trials (one trial is the same song played once on both DAPs) on the same song, maybe only 2 minutes each play. Have your friend change which DAP is used for each play varying the order randomly while making sure you have no idea which one you are hearing. Your friend would record which DAP was which for each trial pair. You would then have your friend record if you preferred one of the presentations per trial, or had no preference. After that then tally up the score and see if one DAP was preferred significantly over the other, if not, obviously keep the one you think gives you the most functionality.

If one DAP is significantly less money and you prefer it or like it as much well then you can save the money and keep the less expensive DAP. Just a thought.

Apr 21, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #8,021 of 15,899

I'd highly recommend the FiiO A5. The paring is delightful.

Thanks, how good is A5 when compared to Schiit Magni 2 Uber and iDSD BL in terms of driving power?

I have all three. I use the A5 on the go, the BL when I am on my laptop, or at home, and the SM2U sits forlornly in the corner, wanted to join in...I mainly use the Schiit for comparison purposes, now. As for "driving power," the A5 falls behind the SM2U, which has less than the BL. The later two, on their highest power settings...

How the three utilize that power is very different. I think the A5 is quite efficient, but does tend to suffer at higher volumes, kind of like trying to keep up with the big kids. It is quite nice, though. The BL drives REALLY well, even at high volumes, and is slightly warm to me. The SM2U? Excellent at any volume, but does run a bit on the hot-side to me in regards to treble. Of course, that can be EQ'd out. Both the A5 and the BL give better adjustments to me, and get the majority of use in my abode.

Dont take me wrong, but if its 1 person's opinion out of the blue and is really odd in comparison lets leave it and get back to topic. 

Help each other find best pairing, best sound, best EQ settings, best cases, best places to find music, best suggestions so that fiio improves the OS. 

If someone compares a Sports car to Animal pulled card, i dont see merit in explaining anything. 

Yes, that's exactly why I did not argue with him when he sounded so sure that X5 3 is way inferior. I kind of got pissed off.

You won't find night and day difference between the sound quality of flagship mobiles like LG V20, S7 or S8 or iPhone 7 and very good DAPs like X5 when it comes to details. But, it's not just about the details though, it's about how those details are presented and pronounced. And how natural they sound.

Now back to X5 3 and my HD650s, I am really looking for an AMP that can properly drive them.

Can anyone suggest a reasonable AMP to use with X5 3?

FiiO A5 is an excellent pairing for on the go. And on sale fairly often.

Apr 21, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #8,022 of 15,899
  Why not find a volume level match with one song on the two DAPs and get a friend to help you do a blind listening test? Do say 10 trials (one trial is the same song played once on both DAPs) on the same song, maybe only 2 minutes each play. Have your friend change which DAP is used for each play varying the order randomly while making sure you have no idea which one you are hearing. Your friend would record which DAP was which for each trial pair. You would then have your friend record if you preferred one of the presentations per trial, or had no preference. After that then tally up the score and see if one DAP was preferred significantly over the other, if not, obviously keep the one you think gives you the most functionality.

If one DAP is significantly less money and you prefer it or like it as much well then you can save the money and keep the less expensive DAP. Just a thought.

How scientific, with a partition, two friends and a light system I could make it double-blind :)

Seriously, if the difference isn't clear enough without all that rigamarole, then it will be easy to return the P2. I mean it's around $950, $1290 for the P2 less whatever I can realize upon liquidating the X5 (say $325ish).

I mean I REALLY like the X5. I just got the itch and succumbed in a moment of weakness. It'll probably happen again when the next X7 comes out. And I honestly have to keep reading the complaints about the DX200 to avoid trying one of those.

Note the first line of my sig.

Apr 21, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #8,023 of 15,899

How scientific, with a partition, two friends and a light system I could make it double-blind :)

I wasn't trying to spoil your fun, but you did seem to want to make a good decision. What I was suggesting is really not much of a hassle, and regardless sighted listening tests will usually confirm what you really want it to confirm. If your head tells you that the more expensive player should sound better, well, there is a good chance that is what you will arrive at with sighted listening tests. Most of the time we already know what it is we want and we will do everything possible to confirm what is needed to be confirmed. Regardless, I only made the suggestion as you seemed torn. My money is on you keeping the more expensive device.

Apr 21, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #8,024 of 15,899

I have all three. I use the A5 on the go, the BL when I am on my laptop, or at home, and the SM2U sits forlornly in the corner, wanted to join in...I mainly use the Schiit for comparison purposes, now. As for "driving power," the A5 falls behind the SM2U, which has less than the BL. The later two, on their highest power settings...

How the three utilize that power is very different. I think the A5 is quite efficient, but does tend to suffer at higher volumes, kind of like trying to keep up with the big kids. It is quite nice, though. The BL drives REALLY well, even at high volumes, and is slightly warm to me. The SM2U? Excellent at any volume, but does run a bit on the hot-side to me in regards to treble. Of course, that can be EQ'd out. Both the A5 and the BL give better adjustments to me, and get the majority of use in my abode.

FiiO A5 is an excellent pairing for on the go. And on sale fairly often.

Thanks ngoshawk, this is the comparison that I have been looking for. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back