Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 11, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #7,366 of 15,899

​Maybe a silly question but are you sliding and then saying OK? If you don't click OK it doesn't do anything. Duh I did this the first few times and thought that doesn't do anything. Also trying a different IEM or phones changes response. I'm using Pure music mode as well.

thanks man, i did not press ok, so that solved the puzzle, its working now

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #7,367 of 15,899
   it would be great if they could then give us a few little extras as a "Thank You" for being such a lovely bunch of buyers. 

the only solution I could think of stopping tech companies from treating customers like beta testers and start delivering complete products is simple.

no more money till you get it right. its an old idea that seems to have been lost on people. tech companies will continue to sell less than complete products because it is obvious to them as long as the money flows, then all must be good in the world.

I personally have quite a list of offenders from all electronic genres including audio, networking (think MIMO, how well is that working for you?), smartphones etc. 

think about it folks... cause the tech industry could care less as long as you are paying them full price first with hoping get things right (eventually)

btw - has the X7 feature set ever been completed and a stable firmware been released?

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #7,368 of 15,899
  When Fiio have fixed the accepted bugs & provided the officially delayed functions (USB out, in-car feature, etc.), it would be great if they could then give us a few little extras as a "Thank You" for being such a lovely bunch of buyers. Maybe you'll get the Add to Now Playing & I'll get Playlist Import if these are popular amongst the user-base? I wonder what extra features other people would vote for (only one vote each)? I think parametric EQ might be up there?

I see,  ye olde “bigger fish to fry” problem. Well Fiio needs to be very, very busy ‘cause
I don’t see them spending the next six months “repairing” this one single device.

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #7,369 of 15,899

Hi,

I guess I should use my words carefully around audiophiles. 

I am using the standard headphone out, my headphones are not balanced. 

I meant that by adjusting the balance slider the music sounds balanced to me as my hearing through my left ear is weaker than my right.

It is working for me but it is very subtle, the old X5II is much better at balancing the channels.

I setup the X5III to "Left 2" the same as my X5II, I did not check it until you asked the question. 

Having checked it I have had to move the slider to "Left 5" to balance the sound properly.

thanks so much for trying to help me it was that i did not press ok , so problem solved now

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #7,370 of 15,899

Hi,

I guess I should use my words carefully around audiophiles. 

I am using the standard headphone out, my headphones are not balanced. 

I meant that by adjusting the balance slider the music sounds balanced to me as my hearing through my left ear is weaker than my right.

It is working for me but it is very subtle, the old X5II is much better at balancing the channels.

I setup the X5III to "Left 2" the same as my X5II, I did not check it until you asked the question. 

Having checked it I have had to move the slider to "Left 5" to balance the sound properly.

All this back and forth about the channel balance setting prompted me to give it a try here. My experience is the same: setting the channel balance to L9 or R9 had a subtle effect but not nearly as much as I would have expected. In addition to this,I found that this setting only had any sort of effect on the headphone port (I don't have a balanced cable for my headphones yet so I couldn't test the balanced out connector). With my X5III connected to my K5 dock, the channel balance setting had no effect whatsoever.

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #7,371 of 15,899

I see,  ye olde “bigger fish to fry” problem. Well Fiio needs to be very, very busy ‘cause
I don’t see them spending the next six months “repairing” this one single device.

​Indeed, we already know about impending Q5 and X7-2. But, they might focus for the next 2-3 months and I hope a lot of the known bugs will get swept up in the next few weeks.

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #7,372 of 15,899
Thanks for your reply, very instering, I didn't think about b & b cans. Isolation is good, you say: does it mean that outside people cannot hear your music?

I have not had any complaints yet, I will have to place them on someone else to answer that for you, however, when I put them on they do a good job at blocking out the sound around me.

I just put them on unplugged while watching TV and I would say they block a good 50% to 70% of the sound.

Apr 11, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #7,374 of 15,899

All this back and forth about the channel balance setting prompted me to give it a try here. My experience is the same: setting the channel balance to L9 or R9 had a subtle effect but not nearly as much as I would have expected. In addition to this,I found that this setting only had any sort of effect on the headphone port (I don't have a balanced cable for my headphones yet so I couldn't test the balanced out connector). With my X5III connected to my K5 dock, the channel balance setting had no effect whatsoever.

I wonder if this is another bug or part of the X5III design?

Regardless, the X5II is much better than this.

Apr 11, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #7,375 of 15,899

​Indeed, we already know about impending Q5 and X7-2. But, they might focus for the next 2-3 months and I hope a lot of the known bugs will get swept up in the next few weeks.

Fortunately, the Q5 isn't a DAP and if FiiO continues its currently trend, the core architecture of the X7-2 will be similar enough that it can share the same firmware as the X5iii and X7. It's highly likely this firmware will continue to mature for as long as FiiO produces Android DAPs (or at least as long as they are still using RockChip SOCs).

Apr 11, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #7,376 of 15,899
  Anybody using X5-3 to feed [active] speakers rather than headgear?

I have used the Fiio as DAC through the DK1 Dock with line-out into my Rolls SX45 Active X-Over (which splits the signal to my AudioEngine A2+ and 8" Subwoofer). It worked great.

Apr 11, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #7,377 of 15,899

​Maybe you could user a higher FLAC compression if you really need to squeeze in a few extra songs per Gb? Maybe @Dobrescu George can advise on optimum compression rate for playback processing on X5-3 or even if it actually matters whether compression is high or low? I guess it just takes a bit longer to produce more highly compressed files but not sure about consequences (if any) on playback?

There shouldn't me any consequences on FLAC compression levels, I always use the highest level of compression, but the memory savings are not that great either. 

If you want to save some considerable space, OGG -q10 which plays at a high bit rate is (almost) the same thing as FLAC. I cannot really tell them apart in blind tests, nor in graphs. 

But I haven't tested if ogg -q10 has any impact on the battery life of X5-3 either... 

Apr 11, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #7,379 of 15,899
I think a lot of us would really appreciate it if you did away with the PRESET EQ's and gave us 4 or more custom eq's that we could customize ourselves and save under our specific names.  That would allow us to instantly choose the EQ for our different headphones, and playback devices such as home system, powered speakers, car 1 and car 2.  This is a MUST HAVE feature.

Just a thught.

Apr 11, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #7,380 of 15,899
  I think a lot of us would really appreciate it if you did away with the PRESET EQ's and gave us 4 or more custom eq's that we could customize ourselves and save under our specific names.  That would allow us to instantly choose the EQ for our different headphones, and playback devices such as home system, powered speakers, car 1 and car 2.  This is a MUST HAVE feature.

Just a thught.

​Didn't Fiio say each of the preset EQ's can be changed & saved? If so, we'd just need a "Save As" to over write default names?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back