Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 2, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #6,661 of 15,897

Negative. I meant so far so good and i am thoroughly enjoying the SQ with and without the A5. Though i prefer it with the A5.

I completely agree.

I use my X5iii the same way I used my X5ii, under pure music mode using folder view.

I have all of my music foldered under Genre, then under Group and then all Albums labelled by year.

The upgrades for me are;

- It is easier and quicker to use

- It looks and feels better

- But most importantly, I believe it sounds better.

Apr 2, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #6,662 of 15,897
Only just got mine a day ago. No problem scanning both my 128gb cards I used on dx50 and my smartphone. Spotify downloads offline didn't go missing after a few times of reboot. Finger cross....
Needed more time to tell.
Will feedback after comparing with my rockboxed dx50 and smartphone+opus#11.
Enjoying it at the moment :wink:

Apr 2, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #6,663 of 15,897
Thankyou. I'll wait for the next X7, because I don't like warm&smooth. In fact, I hate warm and smooth, reminds me of the AK70, yuk!

I thought maybe the smoothness is due to the internal amp in the X5 III, but now you say it's the DAC, I will indeed wait for the X7 II.

According to my ears, sound out of X5III is in another league when compared to AK70. AK70 is definitely vale and without using at least FiiO E6 amp, it sounds so uninspiring that I considered smashing the damn thing against the wall. X5III is similar sounding to Cayin I5 and definitely reveals details beautifully and mid range, just like on I5 is lush and splendid.

Apr 2, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #6,664 of 15,897

There are folks that talk about the driver signature and attribute it to the DAC. 
So, they talk about the DAC the way a person would a driver.

They believe that or are parroting others? I don't even wanna know. What's the diff. My brain hits the ignore this dude switch automatically

I have listened to more 1968-1979 re-mastered LP/EP's than ever with any device. IEM,open back,closed. Enjoying all of it.

FiiO nailed it.  Some folks are bothered by that for some reason.

FW issues. Seem to be getting as fast a reply as possible. Beta testers? Someone said that.
They ever use a windows PC?  Windows 10 once asked for me to permit a critical update and I did and went into bootloop city and Windows advice online was to go into repair mode and used a method that requires being able to get into the OS. Tha fuuuu?

Heads were exploding everywhere. Mine did.
Billion BILLIONZZZZ  $ company with like 25 years and 10 complete upgrades with tons of fixes stuck in between and they still cannot make a bug free device. Samsung too, everybody actually.

My rant is over.

FiiO is the envy of the industry right now (when every other device regardless of price is being compared to you ...you kinda NAILED IT)  Good stuff priced well and rapid customer engagement.
 We get good stuff and other companies have to look at their price model and consider if they want the meat of the market they gotta...try...a...little...harder....and ...not....ask....for...crazy...money

Now.

My rant is over.

FiiO?

I agree with most of your rant. I did find 1 manufacturer that does have "relatively" reasonable pricing  - Cowon - PM2 to be precise. Works straight out of the box - perfect, superb sound (yet to find a player to beat it and my collection is excessive), no crashes, ultrafast card scan, IPhone like snappy UCI, gorgeous body, lush Amoled screen.... No beta testing with Cowon, they update existing functionality with their fw updates, not fixing problems that should had not been there at the first place. Ibasso is definetily holding the flag for releasing initial crapware instead of workable firmware with their players, I know I have 2 of them. Anyway, other then taking about million hours to fill 2 of my cards (1 200gb, 1 128gb Sandisk U1class 10) I don't complain about any issues with my X5III.(Yet!)

Apr 2, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #6,665 of 15,897

Definitely enjoying this pairing. FiiO X5iii + Vorzüge II Pure+ + Oppo PM-3. I am experiencing the FiiO + Mojo + iOS 10.3 cutout but the Vorzüge combo is an easy alternative. I have heard great things about the FiiO x5iii + FiiO A5 and if the stacking hardware from FiiO comes out will have to give it a try.

Apr 2, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #6,666 of 15,897
Meant to include this instead of the 10.3 comment: for some reason can't get the Mojo to work with either the coax or USB OTG +UAPP out on the X5. Is there a special setting for the mojo? More of an experiment than a need to alter the X5 output.

Apr 2, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #6,667 of 15,897
I can't believe what an improvement it makes to my old Klipsch X10i's. I couldn't really listen to them since upgrading to SE846's over a year ago but with the X5III they seem to have gone to a new level! Beginning to think smartphones just didn't bring out the best in the 50ohm X10i's. The SE846's sound better too but they they are easy to drive out of anything.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Apr 2, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #6,669 of 15,897
One more question since the red fiio in on its way
do i need a portable amp for this player?
I only had the X1 first gen together with th e11k2 amp
the 3 headphones i will use with it are the
shure 435
final audio heaven 2
and
beyer dt770 pro 80ohm

Thank you very much

Apr 2, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #6,671 of 15,897
I haven't got an X5 3rd Gen as yet, but do have an A5 with my X52nd Gen. I asked the question "Is the A5 good enough for the X5 3rd Gen" and the answer was yes.

Even if you don't need the extra power, you have the bass boost function. I have Fidue A83 IEM's that run fine straight from the X5ii, but using the A5, I can use the bass boost on anything that lacks a bit of warmth, like 80's electronic music.

Mine is black, but everyone in the UK is out of stock of black X5iii's so I might have to sell it and get a Titanium one. Wish they did them in Red.

Apr 2, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #6,672 of 15,897
  Hi

I have an X5 2nd Gen, A5 and Fidue A83 IEM setup. If I was to purchase an X5 3rd Gen and just use it in file browsing mode, how many firmware issues would I possibly encounter that are currently waiting to be addressed?

Regards

Darren

Only issue I have had with file browsing is when in pure music mode, if you pause a track using the hardware buttons and try to play again it will start playing a track from other SD card instead.
This is in shuffle mode.

Apr 2, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #6,673 of 15,897
  Only issue I have had with file browsing is when in pure music mode, if you pause a track using the hardware buttons and try to play again it will start playing a track from other SD card instead.
This is in shuffle mode.

I just tried replicating your Bug in Pure Music Mode set to shuffle.

Internal Memory paused with hardware button - No problem

SD 1 paused with hardware button - No problem

SD 2 paused with hardware button - No problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back