Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 1, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #6,616 of 15,899

I understand what you are saying, but my old Fiio X5ii connects to the XPS without a problem, it just seems strange that the new model does not.

Can't argue with you there...that is strange! 
redface.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Apr 1, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #6,617 of 15,899
Ok so I just scanned my microSD cards and will check later if it works. Does the X5 III apply replaygain? I scan my albums with foobar2000 so that the tags are there but I don't know if the X5 III actually applies the gain since the X5 I never did.

Edit: Btw I agree with whoever suggested that the artist overview in the FiiO Music app and in Pure Music Mode should be by Album Artist not by Artist.

Apr 1, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #6,618 of 15,899

After 10 days with the X5 3 my perspective has changed. The combination of burn in and (perhaps) updating to  FW 1.1.4 have altered the sound considerably.
I now need to use EQ > (Classical), to match the Sony MDR1R phones.

Stacking the E12 on the LO now enhances the overall sound quite a bit.

Instrument separation - Superb
Bass – Punchy as hell
Highs – Just right
And Lord – don’t let there be any drums, bongos, congas or timbales!

She’s a keeper! I call her "Betsy"
I just hope future FW updates address the software bugs without altering the sound.

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #6,620 of 15,899
I did get one of those and will try it out.  Thanks!
One thing though.  Don't blame FiiO for the USB issue unnecessarily.  They never advertised it as a high speed USB device, just with Qualcomm Quick-Charge 3 battery charging (that's voltage, not data).  It is the computer component manufacturer's responsibility to ensure their drivers comply with the USB protocols so really, whoever supplied the USB controller chip to Dell is on the hook for the driver...even if it's Intel.  All the device makers (like FiiO) can do is make their devices to the standards provided, but it's still usually a software issue that will be resolved after some time (a year...or three :wink_face: ).  Hope this helps.
Cheers and All the Best!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Yeah, I blame Microsoft more than I blame Fiio to be honest. The x5 works fine on everything BUT my Surface Book. :wink:

Apr 1, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #6,621 of 15,899
Yeah, I blame Microsoft more than I blame Fiio to be honest. The x5 works fine on everything BUT my Surface Book.
wink.gif

It still leaves me baffled though as I do not know who is to blame.

- Fiio X5iii works perfectly with all cables on all ports on my old laptop.

- Fiio X5iii works on my XPS via the USB C, but not not via USB 3.0.

-Everything else works on my USB 3.0 ports, including the X5ii.

Therefore, my X5iii appears to be working okay elsewhere.

And my XPS appears to be working fine with everything else.

So where is the conflict?

I have to assume Fiio changed something as the X5ii works, or there is a fault with my X5iii.

Apr 1, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #6,623 of 15,899
  I did get one of those and will try it out.  Thanks!
One thing though.  Don't blame FiiO for the USB issue unnecessarily.  They never advertised it as a high speed USB device, just with Qualcomm Quick-Charge 3 battery charging (that's voltage, not data).  It is the computer component manufacturer's responsibility to ensure their drivers comply with the USB protocols so really, whoever supplied the USB controller chip to Dell is on the hook for the driver...even if it's Intel.  All the device makers (like FiiO) can do is make their devices to the standards provided, but it's still usually a software issue that will be resolved after some time (a year...or three 
wink_face.gif
).  Hope this helps.
Cheers and All the Best!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

I think you  should format in NTFS

Apr 1, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #6,624 of 15,899
Any recommendation for screen protector?

Apr 1, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #6,625 of 15,899
Apr 1, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #6,626 of 15,899
So It can be replaced in case of damage?

Apr 1, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #6,627 of 15,899
So It can be replaced in case of damage?

Of course. The question is when will FiiO make it available as an accessory, or where to get one from a different maker. So, yeah, I guess we've circled back to your original question on the matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back