Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 26, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #6,031 of 15,897

Fair enough.

So is it not possible for Fiio to install a system level EQ function on their DAP's?  This would allow me to EQ the music that I download from TIDAL (for listening in "off line" mode).  This is the one shortcoming that is steering me away from the X7 and towards the upcoming Q5.  I really would love to be able to plug my HD600's into only one device...

X7 and X5-3 threads are different tho...

I do  think that a system level EQ would be handy to say the least! 

Mar 26, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #6,033 of 15,897

Could Fiio add a system-wide EQ feature via a firmware update? Or is it more complicated than that?

That depends entirely on how low-level their customisations are. If they have gone the route of giving apps direct access to the audio hardware (in a similar way to ASIO/WASAPI on Windows), it would be up to the app to implement an EQ or not. If they have written their own audio subsystem that mimics the API on the Android one, they would be able to provide a system-wide EQ. Given that ViPER only works in FiiO Music, I would suggest the former is true rather than the latter. Only their engineers would be able to confirm this though.

edit: I also prefer the former as it reduces latency and interference from software, but I also don't use EQ, so each to their own.

Mar 26, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #6,034 of 15,897

If you need more driving power for harder to drive cans and to change up the sound signature of the stock X5iii player.

I threw on my E12A amp and it gives a more neutral flatter sound signature than the stock player sound.  I suppose it is nice having 2 different signatures.  Like having 2 different players in one.

An advantage of having a change up in sound signature is if you own multiple cans that have different sound signatures that will mesh better with the source sound signature. From listening to my various cans and iems. It seems smooth musical cans for example my Shure SRH1540 don't jive too well with the X5iii as it already has a smooth signature.. With the added E12A it now has great synergy with the stack from a more neutral type sound.

My ATH- MSR7 sounds freaking amazing on the stock player and does not need the E12A for the best sonics. The MSR7 is more analytical by nature so jives well with the stock sound signature.

I personally couldn't stand the sound signature change from adding the E12A to my X5iii+IE800 setup. I found everything to become muted and severely limit the soundstage. However, this is just a personal preference and I have heard many others who feel differently. Maybe I even had a bad unit? In either case, I am now using the X5 and have found it has made the bass and stage a little more expressive but doesn't impact adversely on the detail. Also, using the line-out rather than headphone out on the X5 bypasses the amp and gives longer battery life. YMMV

Thanks to both of you.

@enragedlemon You hated the E12A + X5iii, and you are now using the X5? Do you mean the X5iii without an external amp? Or is that a typo and you mean you are now using an A5? I don't quite understand where you landed with respect to the X5iii and using a portable amp. Sorry if I'm being dense...

Mar 26, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #6,035 of 15,897

Thanks to both of you.

@enragedlemon You hated the E12A + X5iii, and you are now using the X5? Do you mean the X5iii without an external amp? Or is that a typo and you mean you are now using an A5? I don't quite understand where you landed with respect to the X5iii and using a portable amp. Sorry if I'm being dense...

You are quite right! It was a typo and I have edited the post now to correct it. I am using the A5 with my X5. Although there is a change from using it over just the X5, it isn't night-and-day different. However, I enjoy the versatility of having an external amp (to power my HD800 if I ever needed to) and the resulting extended battery life.

Mar 26, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #6,036 of 15,897

You are quite right! It was a typo and I have edited the post now to correct it. I am using the A5 with my X5. Although there is a change from using it over just the X5, it isn't night-and-day different. However, I enjoy the versatility of having an external amp (to power my HD800 if I ever needed to) and the resulting extended battery life.

Ah hah! That makes sense now :)

Thanks!

Mar 26, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #6,037 of 15,897
First post and want to say that so far I'm really liking my x5III and haven't had any issues with it at all! Went out and enjoyed Zabriskie Point at Zabriskie Point :)

1440669.jpg

Mar 26, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #6,040 of 15,897

Yes I actually every page in this entire thread. took me about a week. I wanted to understand /appreciate this device from its announcement date to actual launch.

I ordered the X5III with the A5 and K5 dock.

i never heard of this company or its products prior to  a week ago. I was on amazon reading through some reviews for something (i forget wha) and someone mentioned "fiio" brand headphone amp. 

I did an internet search. found some guys review about the X5III. he mentioned in this video about "Seeing reviewers with sea shells in the background.." and his honest review prompted me to look seriously at the X5III. I think that guy is also on this thread as in the comments section on his video review he mentioned this thread and thats how I got here.

I also watched a russian guy (hes on this thread too as ive seen his posts here) review this and also the K5. His K5 review prompted me to look at that and I ended up purchasing all of these products I mentioned.

so thanks to both of you cats for the reviews. fiio should kick you some cash back... :wink:

I am looking forward to using this system with my AKG N90Q's. This headphone has its own DAC (As well as a lot of other bells and whistles) so I will have a ball trying this.

I have seen a lot of interesting headphones in this thread. the Tupac guy with the tupac avatar! You, sir are awesome with your passionate, seasoned responses. 

My usual daily driver setup when I want to take music on the go is My Sony MZ-1 (bought launch day in 1992--still ticking). 

Have appreciated the discussions here and all of the info on these "Daps".  

And ooh, the guy with the almond farm up north!? Aye just get the X5III!  stop flip floppin'! :) Your posts have been interesting to read across the last few months this tread has been in existence... :) I live in LA and yes the rain has been crazy!

-Marc

Mar 26, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #6,041 of 15,897
@FIIO

When ejecting the X5iii from Windows 10 you have 3 volumes to eject, both SD cards and the internal memory. However when using MediaMonkey to load files, you only have to eject one volume and it ejects all of them. Seems like it should be built in to the system to eject in one click.

Not really a big deal, just thought I'd point it out.

Mar 26, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #6,042 of 15,897

Quote:
  Has anyone else used an A5 amp with the X5iii? I'm wondering if there is any substantive advantage to adding the portable amp to the set up? Does it do anything that would make it worthwhile to carry around...?

I use it.
Like it.

I stopped once because I thought it changed the sound of the X5iii just a tad but upon further listening it did not. So it's a neat little stack and it will power most gear.

Mar 26, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #6,043 of 15,897
Tinbel beat their original estimate for shipping out my X5III. I received it today. I updated the firmware and had no issues using my SD cards with music loaded from the X5 1st gen.

Thanks to everyone for the great information and reviews making it an easy purchase.

Mar 27, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #6,045 of 15,897

I use it.
Like it.

I stopped once because I thought it changed the sound of the X5iii just a tad but upon further listening it did not. So it's a neat little stack and it will power most gear.

Thanks! That's great to know. I would like to use the X5iii + A5 especially when I use a headphone splitter to two pairs of IEMs (so my wife and I can share on the plane, eg).  Right now, every time I listen to the X5iii I chuckle at how great everything sounds. I'll be curious to see what difference the A5 brings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back