Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 15, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #4,982 of 15,897
AK lacks bass punch and has a horrible EQ.

Every AK model is different in terms of treble and bass and so forth. My AK120II handles the bass quite well. It's certainly comparable to X5, or i5, or Opus. But you are correct, the EQ is not very effective.

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #4,984 of 15,897
Every AK model is different in terms of treble and bass and so forth. My AK120II handles the bass quite well. It's certainly comparable to X5, or i5, or Opus. But you are correct, the EQ is not very effective.
Opus has even less bass. But guess for your ears it has.

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #4,985 of 15,897
Hi,

Thanks - I have read some reviews but the ones I have seen only skim over the fact that the player can be used with streaming services. I was looking for more user experience and how the UI of these apps respond on the X5.

Any experience with offline use since the ability has been added to the SD cards would also be useful (on my older Sony ZX1 it was a horribly slow experience on Google Play Music when more than 1000 songs had been pinned for offline).

Aaahh...makes sense, apologies. I will test offline Tidal and Spotify when I can.

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #4,986 of 15,897

I wonder if the X5 will improve over time, or is burn-in for DAPs/amps a myth?

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #4,988 of 15,897
This has probably been asked before : is the 2.5 mm balanced jack compatible with Axtell & Kern players, e g can you use any balanced cable advertised as working with A & K 2.5 mm jack?

I'm using the same balanced cables with X5iii that I used with Onkyo dx-p1 & Opus#1.

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #4,989 of 15,897
Some obscure iem from China which sounds great with X5 III

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #4,990 of 15,897
Opus has even less bass. But guess for your ears it has.

You've thoroughly confused yourself. The X5 doesn't have a great quantity of bass over the competition. What it has is severely recessed treble and weak dynamics. This makes it sound overly smooth, and very warm. That's what you're hearing, not amazing low end.

The X5's bass is good, though. Just nothing to write home about.

is fiio x5 3rd gen good pair with audio technica im03?

Very good pairing.

Mar 15, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #4,991 of 15,897
I have always liked the orig winamp classic theme with a super boss spectrum analyzer
I'm also a folder mode person.  So imagine Morgan Page playing, and this theme on the X5 with songs listed below, or the album art, or a sweet variation of one of the analyzers like milk or fire.  Some of the controls are probably not necessary and can save space to fit width.  There are a ton of super sweet winamp themes because they made it to skin.

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #4,992 of 15,897
You've thoroughly confused yourself. The X5 doesn't have a great quantity of bass over the competition. What it has is severely recessed treble and weak dynamics. This makes it sound overly smooth, and very warm. That's what you're hearing, not amazing low end.

Very good pairing.

I would disagree. The treble is all there and the dynamics are fine. I do hear some mid bass emphasis (perhaps making it feel like the treble is weak - masking), and this mostly comes from the amp section as when I feed the line-out to an external amp the extra warmth completely disappears. I think it's all relative to one's reference point. That said, I wouldn't say that the treble is severely recessed.

Mar 15, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #4,994 of 15,897

Very good pairing.

Im not saying the X5III has more. I am saying the AK120II and Opus have less and a bad EQ. I myself I add an amp onto the X5III to acheive the bass that I desire.

Mar 15, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #4,995 of 15,897
That's right. I did promise to make this comparison, didn't I?

They are both smooth and warm. The X5 is warmer. The AK has the greater soundstage in all directions, with better separation and air. The X5 sounds duller and a little muddy on some IEMs, like Solar, whereas AK is refined and clean and spacious.

Thank you for providing your perspective. Your description of the AK120ll SQ mirrors mine exactly. Coupled with my Leckerton UHA-6 portable amp i don't find anything lacking really. I couldn't be happier :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back