Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 12, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #4,741 of 15,899

I am in Japan and have fiber optic and crazy wifi speed too and am right next to the router and my update to 1.1.1 timed out at least 50 times and I wanted to throw it out a window and then go look for it so I could stomp on it more.

I was very pissed. I downloaded the last update from dropbox and just dragged and dropped. They are not equipped on their end for the demand that comes right after a new release of F.W. I'm thinking this is selling a lot more than the X7 at any point in that devices cycle and they need to consider more bandwidth for the O.T.A

Not to say I am glad this is happening to someone else, I am not that evil to wish that on anyone, more of like I am relieved that I am not the only one. Especially with the fact that you have someone with such high wifi speeds going through something similar at least at this point I know it is not something I did wrong or something I lacked on my end. I hope you were you not able to find the x5 with your angry foot until your calmed a bit. 

Mar 12, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #4,742 of 15,899
With regards to the latest update, I too was having some issues with performance. I decided to wipe my cache partition (as others have said you can do this by booting the player into recovery mode), wipe the app cache (Settings>Storage>Cache), delete the FiiO Music data (Settings>Apps>All>FiiO Music>Clear Data) and deleting everything in the home/FiiOMusic folder. Everything works amazingly smoothly now, and indeed more so than it did before. It may be these needs to be done between some of the updates. Not ideal, but a good temporary workaround.

Mar 12, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #4,743 of 15,899
Hm....the whole FW 1.1.2 - story kind of actually upsets me... I´m dabbling in this thread today for the first time, since I originally gave up finding a DAP that would suit my preferences and demands overall a few month ago.....I listened to everything up to the AK 320 back then and just kept my Mojo for portable use in the end......loooong story.....

Now this beautiful little jack of all trades DAP showed up (maybe with the exception of MQA - well, not that important) and made me curious and now what do I come across? A firmware-mess....really...
confused.gif
? That´s so dissapointing 
frown.gif

I sincerely wish all of you that the issues get resolved as soon as possible...

Mar 12, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #4,744 of 15,899
Hi Fiio,

I just got the X5III few days ago and only able to play with it since yesterday. I run into a serious issue. The audio suddenly cut off in the middle of the song. Sometime I can play several songs before this happen, other time audio stop as soon as second song.

When the audio cut off (wire or bluetooth), the song is playing still as I can see the time is running. Right after I click PAUSE, the song stop playing and the Fiio player stopped respond afterward. Even though the android is still respond the X5III will not restart. The screen freeze at "reboot". I have to force reboot by press and hold the power button until the X5III turn off.

After force restart the X5III will play again and problem happen again. This issue is very consistent. I did force restart more than 20 times already.

The X5III already upgraded to latest firmware, factory reset wasn't help either.

I'll return the play for replace but I think I should report the issue.

Mar 12, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #4,745 of 15,899
Does the X5 3rd gen have a fully balanced design or is it a single ended design?

Balanced -- dual dac, dual amp.  Note the title of this thread

Thanks, some people in another forum where questioning whether it was really fully balanced as the power output of the balanced outputs was not higher than the 3.5 mm power output.

Mar 12, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #4,746 of 15,899
  Hm....the whole FW 1.1.2 - story kind of actually upsets me... I´m dabbling in this thread today for the first time, since I originally gave up finding a DAP that would suit my preferences and demands overall a few month ago.....I listened to everything up to the AK 320 back then and just kept my Mojo for portable use in the end......loooong story.....

Now this beautiful little jack of all trades DAP showed up (maybe with the exception of MQA - well, not that important) and made me curious and now what do I come across? A firmware-mess....really...
confused.gif
? That´s so dissapointing 
frown.gif

I sincerely wish all of you that the issues get resolved as soon as possible...

It is frustrating, but I am glad the issues are only software ones, which means they can be resolved. I'm not hugely surprised by the issues (being a developer myself) knowing that this is FiiO's first foray into in-house Android development. Android, and particularly previous versions, can be a fickle mistress.

Mar 12, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #4,747 of 15,899
I never tried it with the HD650, but the BL has plenty juice, so I don't think it should be a problem, even without turbo. Check out the reviews here on head-fi

Both Mojo and IDsD can drive the HD650 loud enough even without turbo mode. In fact all my players (except phones) can play them loud enough. Of course whether they sound good is another question. But then, there are people who will tell you (headfonia) that anything below a bottlehead Crack will not be enough. I find that a bit exaggerated.

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #4,748 of 15,899
Hi,
my reply comes a bit late. I have not listened to the X5 3rd gen yet.

Dear Relic, what digital filter did you use on the X5 when comparing it to the Mojo? According to the AKM specs, the Minimum delay Slow Roll-off (AKM notation: “short delay”) should sound best at least on paper, as it should eliminate pre-ringing and also incorporate slow roll-off and thus reduces post ringing as well.

From my experience with the Mojo, the treble is its weak point. The simple transparent gain stage has a treble roll-off especially when combined with balanced armature iems.
Also I find that the Mojo does too much in terms of transient sharpening - it appears to remove some echo/ decay that should be present again mostly in the higher frequencies. Bass and mids are really good with the Mojo but that is also because Rob Watts changed his transient optimized filter in the Mojo implementation compared to the Hugo to sound warmer. Hugo owners told me they have to eq the high frequencies by 2 to 3 db on the Mojo for treble to sound similar to the Hugo.
When listening to high female voices (such as Rihanna/ Loud / Complicated, CD quality) or high notes on the piano (Helen's Grimaid / Chopin / Marche Funebre / Deutsche Grammphonn CD quality) I find the high female voice and the high notes on the piano to sound weak and a bit sharp at the same time, lacking a bit detail and decay. At the moment I prefer the Pono over the Mojo and if the FiiO X5 3rd gen sounds more like the Pono (with the short delay filter which should be similar to Ayre's filter for the Pono) then I'd sell the Mojo and get an X5 :)

Regards,
Carsten

The X5-3 sounds warmer/smoother than the Mojo, no question. Regarding the Mojo vs Hugo I haven't heard the Hugo but I'm well aware that many find it to present the treble more effortlessly. Does brighter mean more accurate? The Mojo is closer to my DAVE than anything else (according to those I've PM'd with extensively who own both) and I use the DAVE as reference so I suspect you may not like the X5-3 for it's warm/smooth sound. Also, it's rather difficult to have good transients with a smooth sound (rather than have a tipped up treble to come across as detail) and in this perspective I find the Mojo, DAVE, and the X5-3 to excel. Rob has been moving from a bright signature to a smoother one with each iteration of his gear so it will be interesting to hear the Hugo2 when I get it for the tour I'm heading up and compare against the X5-3.

As far as transient 'sharpening' I would disagree 100% with your observation (I'd say the Mojo is transient accurate rather than smeared/echo'd), but we may listen to different music/masters, have a different viewpoint/focus, simply enjoy different presentations.

Regarding the different DAC filters I tried them all on the X5-3 and I hear very little, if any, difference between them. I use the super short roll off. I usually focus on transients / detail / distortion more than anything else with all my gear, including headphones. One of the reasons I like the Focal Utopia more than anything else is because of it's incredibly low distortion and actual detail rather than exaggerated treble pawning off as detail.

PM incoming as to not de-rail the X5-3 thread. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #4,749 of 15,899

It is frustrating, but I am glad the issues are only software ones, which means they can be resolved. I'm not hugely surprised by the issues (being a developer myself) knowing that this is FiiO's first foray into in-house Android development. Android, and particularly previous versions, can be a fickle mistress.

Well I´m glad to hear an optimistic remark for a change 
smile.gif
 You are certainly right, software issues can be dealt with...
However -and it´s not my intention to fan the flames here- FiiO´d better not play the "Android-card", beacuse after all they determine the timing of publication for firmware themselves, don´t they? That´s just poor company policy - at least for me as a non-industry-insider.
Don´t get me wrong, I actually tend to like FiiO, used to own some of their products and was very pleased...but this presumed firmware beta test is still rather poor...  

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #4,750 of 15,899
With regards to the latest update, I too was having some issues with performance. I decided to wipe my cache partition (as others have said you can do this by booting the player into recovery mode), wipe the app cache (Settings>Storage>Cache), delete the FiiO Music data (Settings>Apps>All>FiiO Music>Clear Data) and deleting everything in the home/FiiOMusic folder. Everything works amazingly smoothly now, and indeed more so than it did before. It may be these needs to be done between some of the updates. Not ideal, but a good temporary workaround.

How to do you go into recovery mode?

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:29 PM Post #4,751 of 15,899

Well I´m glad to hear an optimistic remark for a change 
smile.gif
 You are certainly right, software issues can be dealt with...
However -and it´s not my intention to fan the flames here- FiiO´d better not play the "Android-card", beacuse after all they determine the timing of publication for firmware themselves, don´t they? That´s just poor company policy - at least for me as a non-industry-insider.
Don´t get me wrong, I actually tend to like FiiO, used to own some of their products and was very pleased...but this presumed firmware beta test is still rather poor...  

I don't think they have played the Android card themselves (except when to point out fixed limitations they can't work around). They have always seemed apologetic and accommodating to me.

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #4,752 of 15,899
How to do you go into recovery mode?

When the device is off, hold down Play/Pause and Previous (the top arrow button) and then power on with the power button. Hold the Play/Pause and Previous until the 'Welcome' message comes up.

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #4,753 of 15,899
  Hi Fiio,

I just got the X5III few days ago and only able to play with it since yesterday. I run into a serious issue. The audio suddenly cut off in the middle of the song. Sometime I can play several songs before this happen, other time audio stop as soon as second song.

When the audio cut off (wire or bluetooth), the song is playing still as I can see the time is running. Right after I click PAUSE, the song stop playing and the Fiio player stopped respond afterward. Even though the android is still respond the X5III will not restart. The screen freeze at "reboot". I have to force reboot by press and hold the power button until the X5III turn off.

After force restart the X5III will play again and problem happen again. This issue is very consistent. I did force restart more than 20 times already.

The X5III already upgraded to latest firmware, factory reset wasn't help either.

I'll return the play for replace but I think I should report the issue.

Hi ngocrebel,

Could you kindly what kind micro SD you have ? how many songs into the micro SD card ?

Btw, could you kindly share some tracks that is easy to happen that issue you mentioned ? and we can test it . If it is available, please kindly PM us .

Thanks for your kind help

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 12, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #4,754 of 15,899
  Hi ngocrebel,

Could you kindly what kind micro SD you have ? how many songs into the micro SD card ?

Btw, could you kindly share some tracks that is easy to happen that issue you mentioned ? and we can test it . If it is available, please kindly PM us .

Thanks for your kind help

It's Sandisk Ultra 200GB. It has about 1200 songs, all in FLAC format. This exactly card and its content I used in the X7 before without any issue (I don't have the X7 anymore though).
It seem to happen randomly to any song but I cannot recall for sure. I'll try to find out if it happen to some certain songs. This drive me crazy since yesterday.

Let me repeat the issue clearly: Audio cut off suddenly while the song still playing as the time still running. PAUSE with put Fiio Music player into NO RESPOND. Then X5III cannot be restart but freeze at REBOOT screen.

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #4,755 of 15,899
  It's Sandisk Ultra 200GB. It has about 1200 songs, all in FLAC format. This exactly card and its content I used in the X7 before without any issue (I don't have the X7 anymore though).
It seem to happen randomly to any song but I cannot recall for sure. I'll try to find out if it happen to some certain songs. This drive me crazy since yesterday.

Let me repeat the issue clearly: Audio cut off suddenly while the song still playing as the time still running. PAUSE with put Fiio Music player into NO RESPOND. Then X5III cannot be restart but freeze at REBOOT screen.

I wonder if your SD card has gotten corrupted? You may want to use a computer to scan it for errors. You could format it (with the X5) and copy the songs (a pain in the ass, I know) to be on the safe side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back