Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 10, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #4,592 of 15,899
So do they have different sound signature?

For me it was like this, I plugged the Mojo into the X5iii and put the headphones on. "Oh crap! I thought, this Mojo blows the X5iii away". Then I unplugged the Mojo and listened to the X5iii alone and I thought it sounded just fine. My preference is for the Mojo sound. My stronger preference is to have both of them. The X5iii sounds great on its own.

Mar 10, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #4,593 of 15,899
Just thought I'd chime in my happy feelings!  I received my X5 III a couple days ago.  I got the COAX out to HeadRoom Desktop Amp hooked up, and listening with Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum.  I've compared them with my IEM UE Triple Fi 10, and the G933 lack the mid-high freq details the IEMs produce.  So when I first started listening I tried using the brightness filter 1 on the amp.  That really makes them come alive.  I A-B between the Desktop Amp and the X5 headphone out on many familiar songs.  I tried some 44/16 ALAC and some 96/24 FLAC.  So far I think I prefer the punch the amp is giving the bottom end.  The mid-high freq do sound sound cleaner with the FiiO headphone out.  I'm enjoying listening with the G933 now, and I keep playing more and just smiling and listening.  I really want to test these songs with my other DAPs, but I know the listening experience is just way better on the X5.  I'll switch to the UE TF10  when I'm more in the mood to have them shoved in my ear.  Maybe I'll put some new comply tips on for testing.  Kinda want to try the NightOwls.  I wonder what they sound like.

I'm not totally in love with the FiiO Music app, but after testing PowerAmp 703 build I may prefer FiiO Music just based on the audios output level.  The PowerAmp was so quiet, and the audio was not in sync with the spectrum analyzer, and that really bothers me.  I like watching the VU meter in the FiiO Music app.  Also wish there was a fancy spectrum analyzer.  I always think of WinAmp having the best spectrum analyzer ever.  I want to try Neutron or aPlayerPro, but it's not a big deal really.  If others have compared them with FiiO Music and prefer them let me know.

I listened to some tracks from Google Play, which is the only service I have for unlimited new music.  OMG given the quality of the downloads is pretty low I just cannot believe how much better the X5 sounds compared to the Samsung Galaxy S6.  That is basically the only comparison I've made with streaming apps and my devices.

Mar 11, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #4,594 of 15,899
I'm having trouble in creating a playlist. I've tried using this method http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=41783 to create a playlist but when I create the playlist and move to the X5 the playlist won't play, it shows up but it it has Chinese characters. Am I doing something wrong? Another problem I am having is with using the RM1 remote when using the neutron music player, when I push play on the RM1 the song fast forwards, the volume controls don't work, and the skip buttons just pause the song. Do I have the to configure something in neutron? I also notice this problem when using the play and pause buttons on the left side of the x5. Anyway to fix this problem?

Mar 11, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #4,596 of 15,899
Fiio X5iii ...Maybe a little TOO late to the Audiophile market

Had a chance to compare Fiio x5 iii with LG V20.

High impedance mode in LG V20 (4 dacs triggered ) using Soundmagic E80c (64 ohm) on 320kbps CBR mp3s was a REVELATION (as far as mp3s go.)

From Stings 'Fragile' to Chers 'Lie to me' ,
from Sia 'Cheap thrills' to Miley Cyrus 'My darlin'' , across genres and vocal types , V20 rocked the IEM earpieces to the fullest
Here is my note about my experience .

V20 packs more amplification comapered to fiio x5 iii .V20 offers a slightly wider soundstage but its beauty lies in proper recreating the soundstage , The background , middle layer, and forward vocals are easily separable .
Fiio X5iii has strength lying in its pristine presentation which more often than not felt a lil bit underpowered .But thats just me tho .

I could hear more separation in V20.While fiio X5III has more Attack , V20 is more laid back . X5iii has a lil more mid-forward approach while V20 has lil recessed mids .

While fiio X5III has a darker silent background hence presentation is pristine V20 has more warm and vibrant background and sounds more musical

While fiio X5iii is Clinical in Nature , the V20 has ability to bring out ORGANIC details , even from the mp3s which I never knew existed before.

Battery Consumption wise , V20 is miles ahead of fiio and charging rate too..but i guess thats unfair comparison with V20 being a smartphone .

As per my view LG music app and Fiio X5iii are equally buggy lol.My 6000 songs playlist didnt offer smooth scrolling in either.

One thing i would like to mention , with volume increasing , while Fiio X5iii gets 'Louder' , V20 gets more 'powerful' ...You CAN possibly withstand V20 volume beyond your comfort level but for fiiox5iii you cant.

Despite the bugs , LG V20 has the inherent quality , intricate musical quality to surpass your expectations from a portable DAP or even DAP+AMP combo as I was pleasantly Surprised by this 'true Audiophile Smartphone' , something unheard till now .

Mar 11, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #4,597 of 15,899
Fiio X5iii ...Maybe a little TOO late to the Audiophile market

Had a chance to compare Fiio x5 iii with LG V20.

LG V20 too late (or never or lite version) to European market... 
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/lg-v20-europe-sales-news/

And same with the new LG G6 quad DAC...
http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/10/14879596/lg-g6-regional-features-poll
"If you're in South Korea, for example, then you'll be treated to 64GBs of storage and a quad DAC capable of delivering higher-quality audio from the headphone jack. Koreans won't get wireless charging though; that's a feature reserved for buyers only in the US who, conversely, won't get a quad DAC or the choice of a beefier 64GB phone. Europeans get nothing: no quad DAC, no wireless charging, and no 64GB model — the European G6 maxes out at 32GB just like the US. Some other Asian regions, like India, will also get the 64GB model."

Mar 11, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #4,598 of 15,899
Hi all,
First post long time lurker. Have had the Dap for a week and love it! The only gripe is the wifi reception, it really sucks. My network is from an AirPort Extreme and no other units have problems (ipads, iPhones, etc). Unable to play files from a server. The x5 will find them but when you hit play it just goes into a loop counting songs from the selected album without audio.
Love the sound.

Mar 11, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #4,599 of 15,899

Hello guys,sorry for my english,
Do you have issue on playback files?
When i skip a track with physical buttons or in touchscreen playback i hear a  half a second or a second of the previous song.
This happens even when put pause and give play again
Sometimes listening to Roxette and show me 2pac or something different from what listening.
When Fiio music start viper eq does not work.
Always hat to untick and tick the viper eq to start.
Couple of times favorites track dont play.
I have to delete them to trash and readd.
Sometimes fiio music just stop...
Using poweramp I can not change the songs from physical buttons because is forwarding non stop track by track till i pres stop.
I paid for all viper effect but i wish Fiio music be stable.
Firmware 1.1 and i did 2 times factory reset/reboot.
Here is 2 picture to see that fiio is not working(made when i was driving my car so sorry for that)
See in the pic that fiio music show 1min. and 04.sec.in any track i want to play.
Press play or skip at any track simply music wont play just show 1min.04 sec.
Restarting the player and all track playing again.
In first pic fiio music crashed.
Any advice?

Mar 11, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #4,600 of 15,899
Hi all,
First post long time lurker. Have had the Dap for a week and love it! The only gripe is the wifi reception, it really sucks. My network is from an AirPort Extreme and no other units have problems (ipads, iPhones, etc). Unable to play files from a server. The x5 will find them but when you hit play it just goes into a loop counting songs from the selected album without audio.
Love the sound.

Check your wireless channel settings, may be an issue there.

The WiFi for me works really well, streaming Flac 24bit files over my network last night in an upstairs room, router is downstairs.  The wifi on this far outstrips any other dap's wifi that I've used.

Mar 11, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #4,601 of 15,899
Do I need amp if my headphone impedance is 50 ohm?

You must not only look at the Ohm numbers but also to the Sensitivity ones. If your headphone is around 100dB you should not bother yourself thinking about a new amp.

Enviado desde mi H1

Mar 11, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #4,602 of 15,899
Check your wireless channel settings, may be an issue there.

The WiFi for me works really well, streaming Flac 24bit files over my network last night in an upstairs room, router is downstairs.  The wifi on this far outstrips any other dap's wifi that I've used.

Thanks m8, any suggestions for channel settings? Also when I download software the rate goes up and down a lot. I have fiber so speed is not a problem on other devices.

Mar 11, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #4,603 of 15,899
Thanks m8, any suggestions for channel settings? Also when I download software the rate goes up and down a lot. I have fiber so speed is not a problem on other devices.

In your router's software setings should be options for channel selection, automatic is usually the default and normally works fine however it may be worth changing it to channel 7 or 11 and try from there. Before that though I would just reset the router and see if that nakes a difference.

Mar 11, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #4,604 of 15,899
Thanks again, locked the channel and even standing in the same room with excellent signal it does not work. It says "network unavailable, exceptions occur" perfectly playable files doing the same on an iPhone using app 8player lite and streaming. Normal Flac files.

Mar 11, 2017 at 5:13 AM Post #4,605 of 15,899
Thanks again, locked the channel and even standing in the same room with excellent signal it does not work. It says "network unavailable, exceptions occur" perfectly playable files doing the same on an iPhone using app 8player lite and streaming. Normal Flac files.

Are you in the UK? Using BT for broadband?

If you are you may need to disable smart setup on the router settings, I've found this causes problems with new devices in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back