Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 10, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #4,561 of 15,899
  Very good.

I basically want to mimic the "bass boost" feature that I currently utilize on my Fiio Q1.  Being able to boost the bass like this to all of the music that I'd be listening to with the X5iii (whether it be music files that I've uploaded to the X5 myself, or files that I'm streaming from Tidal/Spotify/etc, or files that I've downloaded from Tidal/Spotify for "offline listening"). 

If I'm able to apply a bass boost (very similar to what Fiio's hardware bass boost function on their amps and dac/amps does), then I'll seriously consider the X5iii.

And of course, any other additional filters or EQ options that I can apply would really just be a bonus for me; something for me to experiment with in the future.

Just buy the bass boost viper feature, or use the EQ.  Either way you're set. 

Mar 10, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #4,563 of 15,899
Very good.

I basically want to mimic the "bass boost" feature that I currently utilize on my Fiio Q1.  Being able to boost the bass like this to all of the music that I'd be listening to with the X5iii (whether it be music files that I've uploaded to the X5 myself, or files that I'm streaming from Tidal/Spotify/etc, or files that I've downloaded from Tidal/Spotify for "offline listening"). 

If I'm able to apply a bass boost (very similar to what Fiio's hardware bass boost function on their amps and dac/amps does), then I'll seriously consider the X5iii.

And of course, any other additional filters or EQ options that I can apply would really just be a bonus for me; something for me to experiment with in the future.
as stated you can use filter settings across the whole device, but she all EQ settings/adjustments are limited to fiio music app. I used mostly Tidal and haven't found a way to EQ it. EQ apps(that control sound for all music apps on device, don't work for some reason) from Android store don't seem to work either for some reason

Mar 10, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #4,564 of 15,899
My X5iii is acting strangely - wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this. I tried to turn it on, it gave the message that it was optimizing app, then turned off. After a few of these cycles, I held down power for 15 seconds to reboot - in same cycle.

Mar 10, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #4,565 of 15,899
nope 
frown.gif

Yes of course they work. The filters are in the DAC. When you stream, you are streaming a digital signal which has to go through the DAC to covert to analogue sound. Therefore the filters apply 
smily_headphones1.gif

Just buy the bass boost viper feature, or use the EQ.  Either way you're set. 

Buying viper effects won't apply those effects across the device;only in the Fiio music app

as stated you can use filter settings across the whole device, but she all EQ settings/adjustments are limited to fiio music app. I used mostly Tidal and haven't found a way to EQ it. EQ apps(that control sound for all music apps on device, don't work for some reason) from Android store don't seem to work either for some reason

Are these 3 things different?
  1. Viper effects
  2. the EQ
  3. Filter settings

If the "Filter settings" are the only think that'll work across the whole device, can I use that to achieve what I talked about in my previous post:

I basically want to mimic the "bass boost" feature that I currently utilize on my Fiio Q1.  Being able to boost the bass like this to all of the music that I'd be listening to with the X5iii (whether it be music files that I've uploaded to the X5 myself, or files that I'm streaming from Tidal/Spotify/etc, or files that I've downloaded from Tidal/Spotify for "offline listening").

Mar 10, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #4,567 of 15,899
My X5iii is acting strangely - wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this. I tried to turn it on, it gave the message that it was optimizing app, then turned off. After a few of these cycles, I held down power for 15 seconds to reboot - in same cycle.

I don't have an X5iii (yet) but that screen is common on Android devices after a firmware update. Usually, if you just wait for it to finish you'll end up on the Home screen eventually with everything good to go. When you say that it "...turned off" is is possible that it's just your screen going to sleep (to save battery power)? Or does it make it to "56 of 56" before shutting down?

Mar 10, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #4,568 of 15,899

I don't have an X5iii (yet) but that screen is common on Android devices after a firmware update. Usually, if you just wait for it to finish you'll end up on the Home screen eventually with everything good to go. When you say that it "...turned off" is is possible that it's just your screen going to sleep (to save battery power)? Or does it make it to "56 of 56" before shutting down?

It made it to 56/56 a couple times. I push, hold the start button - blue light on the start button comes on - see 'Welcome' - then screen black, blue on start button off.

Just tried it again, it is going through the Android is starting crap again, 14/14. I don't have wifi on, haven't done a firmware update since the first time when I first got it.

Now it is at the home screen - just needed to go through those steps a couple times......but I have been trying to get it to turn on for the last 15 minutes. I guess it is another data point for those who are unfamiliar with Android Based devices. Thanks for your response :)

Mar 10, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #4,569 of 15,899
Buying viper effects won't apply those effects across the device;only in the Fiio music app

Thanks Theo - yes I should have thought of that.  The EQ and Viper will of course only be in Pure Music.

Mar 10, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #4,570 of 15,899
  Are these 3 things different?
  1. Viper effects
  2. the EQ
  3. Filter settings

If the "Filter settings" are the only think that'll work across the whole device, can I use that to achieve what I talked about in my previous post:

I basically want to mimic the "bass boost" feature that I currently utilize on my Fiio Q1.  Being able to boost the bass like this to all of the music that I'd be listening to with the X5iii (whether it be music files that I've uploaded to the X5 myself, or files that I'm streaming from Tidal/Spotify/etc, or files that I've downloaded from Tidal/Spotify for "offline listening").

Sorry - as Theo pointed out, the EQ and Viper will only affect in Pure Music.  I'll have a look through Tidal later today and see if I can figure something out.  Filters will work across everything, but effects are subtle and won't achieve the effects you really want.

Mar 10, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #4,571 of 15,899

Sorry - as Theo pointed out, the EQ and Viper will only affect in Pure Music.  I'll have a look through Tidal later today and see if I can figure something out.  Filters will work across everything, but effects are subtle and won't achieve the effects you really want.

Thanks very much for all the info, guys.

My other 2 options are this:
  • Stack the X5iii with the A5 amp.  The A5 amp has a hardware bass boost. (Would this even sound good? Taking the sound from the X5iii and then amping it and boosting the bass?).
  • Forget about a DAP, and just stack my iPhone with the Q5 once it gets released later this year.

The main reason I wanted to just use the X5iii was to have only one device.  It looks like I might have to stack though...

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #4,572 of 15,899
Thanks very much for all the info, guys.

My other 2 options are this:
  1. Stack the X5iii with the A5 amp.  The A5 amp has a hardware bass boost. (Would this even sound good? Taking the sound from the X5iii and then amping it and boosting the bass?).
  2. Forget about a DAP, and just stack my iPhone with the Q5 once it gets released later this year.

The main reason I wanted to just use the X5iii was to have only one device.  It looks like I might have to stack though...

I am stacking the x5iii and the A5. Running through my Vibro Aria, the Bass Boost gives a nice thump to an already wonderful sound.

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #4,573 of 15,899
As a heads-up, a warm sound means that it is friendly and makes everything sound smooth, relaxed and well.. friendly. 

Sometimes that also means 'soft'.

Mar 10, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #4,575 of 15,899
I am going to be trying this out shortly probably by the weekend or just after, and I really looking forward to it. Comparing the sound quality with the dx90 is something I will do when i get some time with the player. I no longer have the e12a and I don't have an A5....but I do have a Meier Audio 2Stepdance and an iBasso PB2 which from my experience and other's I have read are 2 of the arguably best portable amps under 500$. So, I will be looking forward to trying it with those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back