Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 6, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #4,096 of 15,899
By granting each app exclusive use of the audio stack you can control SRC IMHO. Your point is valid for phones and the like - but for a dedicated Music player where those sounds are superfluous, I don't think it would be an issue to control SRC. Obviously, i don't know what solution FiiO have employed, but if they have absolute control over what is sent through the audio channels/stack whatever, they have control of the SRC (or lack thereof in case of bit perfect output)

It's not really up to the player to decide what is allowable or not... It's an Android and you can install any Android app on it right? Should we expect the player to crash to a grinding halt if the conflicting sample rate condition ever occurs?

Incidentally the HiBy Music app does not stop playing automatically if you start music or sounds on another app. (maybe it ought to, but that's a discussion for another day.) Try playing a 16/44.1kHz track on HiBy and a 24/96 (or any different sample rate) track on another player of your choice. Does it work? It does on my phone (two tracks playing at the same time)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 6, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #4,097 of 15,899
Hold up, are people saying if you use Neutron player for example then it wont be using the proper DAC and rather it will use the SoC?
If so then this is a major bug and will make me want to cancel my order as I dont want to be restricted to using Fiio App.

Please, let's not start this nonsense in the X5-3 thread. There is no Digital to Analogue Converter in the Rockchip 3188 SoC so everything played on the X5-3 must go through the DACs. The issue, as far as I understand, is Android limitations that they are discussing, not whether the decoded signal (the processing on the SoC before the DAC) is sent to the DAC or not, and whether the sampling rate is unmolested or not before going to the DAC.

Mar 6, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #4,098 of 15,899

Audio buffer always shows 48 when the device is being strong armed by A.L.S.A

It is showing 44.1 (Thank God)

Is Neutron doing it's part and following the freq of the sample? I have experience with devices showing 48 in the tray even when DD is selected but it seems to be working right now

Quote:
It's not really up to the player to decide what is allowable or not... It's an Android and you can install any Android app on it right? Should we expect the player to crash to a grinding halt if the conflicting sample rate condition ever occurs?

Incidentally the HiBy Music app does not stop playing automatically if you start music or sounds on another app. (maybe it ought to, but that's a discussion for another day.) Try playing a 16/44.1kHz track on HiBy and a 24/96 (or any different sample rate) track on another player of your choice. Does it work? It does on my phone (two tracks playing at the same time)

​If I do not select follow source freq it follows android and 48. I used this app over several devices. it's inability to work with the mojo (direct driver) was part of why that is gone. The PHA-3 has a 2 lights and 1 indicates 24/192 and higher and the other DSD. If I play the Fleetwood mac vinyl rip it will hit the light on the PHA 3 which is indicating a received sample rate and not a internally resampled one so I know it works on PHA with direct driver and follow freq. I have no way of confirming if that is the case with the Neutron on X5iii

When FiiO was touting a player that went around A.L.S.A and audiofinger I was amused as UAPP ( I don't actually like that app) had been doing that with many devices for quite a while.

Mar 6, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #4,099 of 15,899

I have tried Pocketcasts, Play Music, Neutron and Headspace in the X5 III.

When I start playing one of the apps it automatically stops what it's already playing.

Mar 6, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #4,100 of 15,899

They usually do don't they?  Where talking overlaid system sounds etc.

Mar 6, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #4,101 of 15,899
Please, let's not start this nonsense in the X5-3 thread. There is no Digital to Analogue Converter in the Rockchip 3188 SoC so everything played on the X5-3 must go through the DACs. The issue, as far as I understand, is Android limitations that they are discussing, not whether the decoded signal (the processing on the SoC before the DAC) is sent to the DAC or not, and whether the sampling rate is unmolested or not before going to the DAC.

Correct android has a API written in its code that down samples everything down to 48/16. I ran into this when I bought the V20. There player could play hi-res cause they wrote around that API but if you used anything else then it got down sampled.

Mar 6, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #4,105 of 15,899
I've been listening to my SE846's so long with my new X5III I decided to try my old Klipsch X10i which I still use when exercising. It honestly makes them sound so much better than I remember on smartphones. Clarity of mids is better. I still like this single driver IEM and think its unchanged with the X11/X12 other than cosmetics/cable. 

Regarding Spotify, there is a fix for loosing offline contest mentioned earlier, once offline tracks synced put Spotify in Offline mode and it remembers the tracks even after a restart. When you do enable Spotify Online again you need to then set it off again once finished or all tracks will be lost again once it goes in standby or you restart the phone. Have PM'ed findings to Fiio who confirmed others have reported and they will look into the reason. This does not happen on smartphones.

Mar 6, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #4,106 of 15,899

The test took a while.

FWIW and it is not worth sh**..

If this had come back 48 I woulda put it up for sale tomorrow morning.
I already own a Note 4. I understand the diff between Android mode and Pure music but I still don't want a DAP slaving to A.L.S.A  unless told otherwise (Pure music)

I had to use android mode to run this test and it is the non android 44.1 when in android mode which is the host platform for 3rd party apps.
Thank you jezuz!!

Mar 6, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #4,108 of 15,899
My little Fiio RM1 BT remote just arrived and works great. No need to use the lower quality cable remotes not when out walking etc. Didn't even know these gadgets even existed until last week !

Mar 6, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #4,110 of 15,899
I tried Hiby on my X5 III and while it indicates the right freq/bitrate for the FLAC i played,

Screenshot_2017-03-06-15-51-11.png

the output detail gives always ...

Screenshot_2017-03-06-15-51-15.png

So probably downsampling ... :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back