Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 4, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #3,856 of 15,897
  Received mine today from Sky (great first experience).

Sorry for the noob question but how do I know if headphones/IEMs can use the "balanced" output on the X5III?

What do I look for when shopping for that feature on headphones/IEMs?

(and yes I did Google it and everything I found showed headphones with 2 large XLR looking connectors).

google trrs 2.5mm balanced.   3.5mm trrs is the same just bigger diameter

you can get a 2.mm trrs to a 3.5 trs adapter to make your balanced connection and cable work with a single ended jack, but not the other way around.

trs is the single ended non-balanced connection

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #3,857 of 15,897

The IEMS or headphones need to have a cable that is terminated in 2.5mm TRRS (smaller with 3 rings) instead of the standard 3.5mm TRS jack (2 rings).

You will need to either buy a custom cable or find a iem/headphone that comes with a balanced cable.

Thanks!  So using an "adapter" from a standard 3.5mm TRS to 2.5mm TRRS wouldn't work?  

The cable needs to be a balanced cable for it to work AFAIK

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #3,861 of 15,897
I would say most/almost all headphones and iems come in trs/single ended connection cuz that's the standard.  phones, amps, reciever, etc all use them.  If you want to go balanced you will need to get a aftermarket cable made for you iems.  

I wouldn't worry about it, well respected members already mention that there is no difference in sound quality between single ended and balanced for this amp.  So just use what you have and enjoy.

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #3,862 of 15,897
  Thanks.  Apparently TRRS/balanced IEMs are unicorn rare/expensive :)

Yes and from what I understand using non balanced cables with a balanced adapter can destroy the amp in your music player your device.  Simply put.  Balanced cables can use a non balanced adapter to be single ended, but single ended cables cannot be used as balanced at all.

Cheers

Riley

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #3,864 of 15,897
  Thanks!  So using an "adapter" from a standard 3.5mm TRS to 2.5mm TRRS wouldn't work?  

DON'T DO THIS.....

You'll likely short something.

If you are interested in a balanced cable for cheap then check out the one's FiiO has on their website and then you can source a re-seller.

http://www.fiio.net/en/products/58

Mar 4, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #3,865 of 15,897

DON'T DO THIS.....

You'll likely short something.

If you are interested in a balanced cable for cheap then check out the one's FiiO has on their website and then you can source a re-seller.

http://www.fiio.net/en/products/58

This is the balanced cable I bought for my SE846's. Only cost me £32. Cable can be noisy unless using the supplied shirt clip.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Mar 4, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #3,866 of 15,897
This is the balanced cable I bought for my SE846's. Only cost me £32. Cable can be noisy unless using the supplied shirt clip.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I wouldn't expect miracles for the price, but the OP was asking for something that was a low cost. Too bad about the microphonics.

Mar 4, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #3,867 of 15,897
Mine arrived today from Sky by Gramophone. It was packed to survive a Nuclear blast. Nice job guys! Plus they shipped it 2 day which I appreciate especially as they didn't charge for shipping. Great service!

I took it out of the box and put it on a charger for three hours (trained to do this by the Chord Mojo) I had a brand new 200GB card, XFAT from the factory so I just loaded it up. I found out how to open the Card TRAY before I found the instructions that say how to do it. A card tray, interesting. I turned it on, struggled a bit with my local nightmare wifi situation and got it updated. I have been listening to it for a hour or so. It seems nice. I already have the coax cable so I will plug in the Mojo in a bit and see how different the X5iii sounds from my normal Mojo sound.

Thoughts...
I had to find out how to disable the left side skip buttons when it's in lock mode. I kept hitting them when I pick it up. I think I need to learn how to defeat those buttons all the time. 
Bootup takes a while. I have the current human .0000001ms attention span and this may take some getting used to.
I have washed my hands until I started removing flesh, and still each time I touch the screen it's like I have peanut butter on my hands. Gah.
I love the size of this thing. And the interface seem pretty swell at this early stage. (I am using the Pure music Mode)

Can anyone tell me how to enable LastFM Scrobbling? (If you don't know what scrobbling is, please ignore this entire sentence)

You got me again Fiio! Thanks!

Update: Some have described this thing as sounding "smooth". To me it feels like I am wearing pajamas while listening to it. It is very comfy.

Mar 4, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #3,868 of 15,897

if you have a balanced headphones and the headphone jack is 2.5mm TRRS, you can used a 2.5 - 3.5 adapter so you can use it in other DAPs, headphone Amps which has standard 3.5mm headphones out.

but for traditional headphones with 3.5mm jack, it is impossible to change it to 2.5mm balanced  jack cause the balanced 2.5mm headphone jack includes 4 wire.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 4, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #3,869 of 15,897

Mine arrived today from Sky by Gramophone. It was packed to survive a Nuclear blast. Nice job guys! Plus they shipped it 2 day which I appreciate especially as they didn't charge for shipping. Great service!

I took it out of the box and put it on a charger for three hours (trained to do this by the Chord Mojo) I had a brand new 200GB card, XFAT from the factory so I just loaded it up. I found out how to open the Card TRAY before I found the instructions that say how to do it. A card tray, interesting. I turned it on, struggled a bit with my local nightmare wifi situation and got it updated. I have been listening to it for a hour or so. It seems nice. I already have the coax cable so I will plug in the Mojo in a bit and see how different the X5iii sounds from my normal Mojo sound.

Thoughts...
I had to find out how to disable the left side skip buttons when it's in lock mode. I kept hitting them when I pick it up. I think I need to learn how to defeat those buttons all the time. 
Bootup takes a while. I have the current human .0000001ms attention span and this may take some getting used to.
I have washed my hands until I started removing flesh, and still each time I touch the screen it's like I have peanut butter on my hands. Gah.
I love the size of this thing. And the interface seem pretty swell at this early stage. (I am using the Pure music Mode)

Can anyone tell me how to enable LastFM Scrobbling? (If you don't know what scrobbling is, please ignore this entire sentence)

I don't use LastFM, but wouldn't you just download the app from the Google Play store?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fm.last.android&hl=en

Mar 4, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #3,870 of 15,897

Thoughts...

I don't use LastFM, but wouldn't you just download the app from the Google Play store?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fm.last.android&hl=en

Would that work on Pure Music mode though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back