Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 2, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #3,692 of 15,897
Mar 2, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #3,693 of 15,897
How does anyone find the hiss on X5-3? I just tried a demo X5-3 again with Fitear 333 and can hear a noticeable hiss on the balance out. The amount is the same both in low and high gain. I don't want to judge this DAP on one sample but enough to hold off putting up a pre-order. I didn't notice it the first time using NT-6 but the venue was more noisier and NT-6 does not isolate as well as my 333.

With my 9 Ohm SE846's minimal hiss on SE but is noticeable more on balanced. Notice it between tracks in balanced & to some degree in quiet phases of music. I'm fine with SE as tiny noticeable benefit to my ears going balanced with the X5III

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #3,695 of 15,897
  Hiss is disturbing. It really is disturbing when you have tinnitus. Silent noise floor is pretty important.

A can't normally stand hiss and was reason I sent the original Oppo HA-2 back. This does have hiss mostly noticeable in balanced but hardly any in SE. Using my ifi IEMatch adapter fixes hiss totally but finding I don't need to use it with X5III in SE.

By comparison my HA-2SE is silent.

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #3,696 of 15,897
  I don't know what you guys are on about... White text on a black background seems pretty high contrast to me. 

confused_face_2.gif

Look at the rest of the icons and text, some of it is a very dark grey

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #3,697 of 15,897
thanks for the responses. Just want to know if it is common than just an isolated store demo unit. I still have the X7 with AM3 and I find the hiss at the same amount.

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #3,698 of 15,897
That's just it.  Instead of implementing a feature that is badly implemented or is the "in" thing to do, why not give us something that is useful, like a bass boost

Why do something if its not gonna be done right.

Still got my order in for one, i'm just saying....

There is a bass boost feature on the VIPER EQ menu. I cannot recall if that aspect was free or not, though. MOST of VIPER was free, others cost. I won't purchase any of the items that cost.

PinkyPowers is the Bass Boost option on VIPER fee or not?...:thinking:

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #3,700 of 15,897
There is a bass boost feature on the VIPER EQ menu. I cannot recall if that aspect was free or not, though. MOST of VIPER was free, others cost. I won't purchase any of the items that cost.

PinkyPowers is the Bass Boost option on VIPER fee or not?...:thinking:

No Viper in Pure Music Mode. But there is EQ, which is all bass boost is.

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:49 AM Post #3,701 of 15,897
No Viper in Pure Music Mode. But there is EQ, which is all bass boost is.
Viper is in pure music. Its in the settings. It works well.

Mar 2, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #3,702 of 15,897

On some Samsung Android phones, there is a ultra power saving mode, which switches the screen to a "black & white with gray scale" display. It is very visible outdoor, and save the battery a lot. (http://www.androidcentral.com/using-ultra-power-saver-samsung-galaxy-s5)
Can FiiO do the same ?  

Yes, great feature.
From my side, I often use the "Shuffle Songs" of my old iPod, whitch plays randomly all songs of my library. Does the feature exist on X5 III ? I will receive mine in few days.

AFAIK, the power savings are only there for AMOLED screens which S5's screen is. However, X5iii's screen is IPS LCD and there may not be much power saving if at all.

Mar 2, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #3,703 of 15,897

Quoting myself above.

After 24 hours with my X5III and after a broad range of listening tests yesterday I've come to my personal conclusion/summary. I only listen with SE846's so could be completely different with other ear/head phones (did try my older Klipsch X10i too).

1. Only other DAP I've had in recent years was a Sony ZX2 and I prefer this in every way (possibly with exception that the ZX2 has much longer battery life).
  2. If your only priority is sound quality then the Mojo sounds better (to be expected) other than sound stage which is better on the X5III.
  3. Directly comparing to my Oppo HA-2SE, very comparable with odd tracks sounding better on the X5III but over a range of tracks I still think the HA-2SE has the advantage.
  4. Balanced does have the edge on clarity/definition/separation but its minimal and for me with SE846's the background hiss increases. I'm happy to listen to both balanced/SE but will likely stick with unbalanced to also maintain compatibility with my phone & HA2SE.
  5. Bluetooth works flawlessly to my car, headphones, TV sound bar with aptx. 
  6. As a single device removing the need for stacking with other devices and combining excellent SQ/Storage/Build Quailty/Size/Weight and flawless streaming of Spotify/Tidal coupled with amazing value the X5III can't be beat in my opinion.

That's it from me. All I need to do now is listen to my music, see if it improves further after the hours build up then ultimately decide if its worth keeping my HA2SE. I'm not into keeping loads of devices and the X5III is an excellent streaming supported DAP removing need to have a separate DAC coupled to my phone.

Great to hear so apart from the battery life the sound quality matches the sony ZX2 even sounding better

Mar 2, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #3,704 of 15,897
I may have to pre-order one of these but I am on the fence as I enjoy my Opus #2 so much. I posted my thoughts on the Opus #2. How does the X5lll handle headphones with a warm tone? Does it add a lot of color?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back