Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 1, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #3,572 of 15,897
I placed an order for the Titanium version last night through Amazon US,  the Tinbel store. I got a shipping confirmation this morning. I paid a few bucks for upgraded shipping. The confirmation says Thursday March 2 to Tuesday March 7. This morning they claim 10 available. Last night it was 12. They are not exactly flying out of the doorway.

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #3,573 of 15,897

Managed to get 10 minutes with it. Took it in toilet to have a listen in total silence. Great news for me was I detect minimal hiss (L-Gain) with my SE846's so looks like I don't have to use the iFi iEMatch or 75 Ohm impedance adapter
biggrin.gif

Within 10 minutes of use its a "Keeper" for me. Initial impact is that its certainly not quite to the level of Chord Mojo but not far off and better than ZX2 I had (or just prefer signature to the Sony). Not tried balanced yet or compared to my HA-2SE.

In-line remote function doing strange things but still to update to latest firmware. My cheapo cable off ebay which work perfectly with Samsung/Sony phones doesn't do anything on the X5III yet my Klipsch X10i with iPhone controls works for play/pause and for some reason even volume up, but not volume down !

Just tried a couple of FLAC 24/192 and 128DSD tracks.

Main testing bits

So do you think it is better than sony zx2 ?..what is the difference in sound cheers

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #3,574 of 15,897
  So do you think it is better than sony zx2 ?..what is the difference in sound cheers

I'm no expert in describing audio but I found the ZX2 warm/cosy while this is more like a Mojo to my ears but smooth with wider sound stage & depth (listening balanced). I don't have a ZX2 now so just observations from memory.

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #3,575 of 15,897

To be honest I'm simply stunned at the value for money with this. A fully functional Android DAP with twin SD and awesome sound for only £350 if you use discount code..... absolute bargain considering build quality is also superb. An Oppo HA-2SE DAC is £289 in UK so go figure that out.

psikey thats the reason i have just put my sony ZX2 for sale now ..Value for money

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #3,576 of 15,897

Managed to get 10 minutes with it. Took it in toilet to have a listen in total silence. Great news for me was I detect minimal hiss (L-Gain) with my SE846's so looks like I don't have to use the iFi iEMatch or 75 Ohm impedance adapter
biggrin.gif

Within 10 minutes of use its a "Keeper" for me. Initial impact is that its certainly not quite to the level of Chord Mojo but not far off and better than ZX2 I had (or just prefer signature to the Sony). Not tried balanced yet or compared to my HA-2SE.

In-line remote function doing strange things but still to update to latest firmware. My cheapo cable off ebay which work perfectly with Samsung/Sony phones doesn't do anything on the X5III yet my Klipsch X10i with iPhone controls works for play/pause and for some reason even volume up, but not volume down !

Just tried a couple of FLAC 24/192 and 128DSD tracks.

Main testing bits

Same with my Shure remote (215). All other remotes work better. Is that the fiio balanced cable? How is it? 
Have fun!

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #3,577 of 15,897

I'm no expert in describing audio but I found the ZX2 warm/cosy while this is more like a Mojo to my ears but smooth with wider sound stage & depth (listening balanced). I don't have a ZX2 now so just observations from memory.

That sounds good to me as long as it is not bright sounding 

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #3,579 of 15,897
  psikey thats the reason i have just put my sony ZX2 for sale now ..Value for money

I always felt guilty paying high for a ZX2 and didn't feel it was worth the money, and actually returned it in the Amazon return Window. With this its totally different, if it had been £500 I would still have thought it was a decent price. AT £350-£389 (dependent on discount) its a bargain. I'd certainly not describe it as bright but will depend on what ear/headphones its paired with I'd suppose

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #3,582 of 15,897
Mar 1, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #3,583 of 15,897
They are flying out the door. That 12 was sold last night. And the 10 is a new listing.
I placed an order for the Titanium version last night through Amazon US,  the Tinbel store. I got a shipping confirmation this morning. I paid a few bucks for upgraded shipping. The confirmation says Thursday March 2 to Tuesday March 7. This morning they claim 10 available. Last night it was 12. They are not exactly flying out of the doorway.

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #3,584 of 15,897
  Same with my Shure remote (215). All other remotes work better. Is that the fiio balanced cable? How is it? 
Have fun!

It is the Fiio cable which I only bought because it is cheap (£31 from EA Audio) but apart from cable microphonics it is rather decent. Sounds great, looks great but a bit stiff. I went out walking using it this lunchtime and if you use the supplied clip I didn't get any noise on the cable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back