Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Feb 17, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #2,717 of 15,899
Feb 17, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #2,718 of 15,899
Dobrescu George i never had a fiio product.
I preordered x5III.
My sound signature is U-shaped.
Jmills bro x5 has enough powerfor 2.5 or best with an amp?

I'm still waiting for X5-3 as it is in Romanian customs, I will write an in-depth review on how it sounds when it arrives! 

I found X5ii to be the perfect DAP (But X5-3 is the perfect one to take it's place as the best DAP I heard to date!)

I also like U shaped signatures (owning Ultrasone Dj One Pro and Senn ie800 as headphones/IEMs). Heard many good things about 2.5, I am actually curious to hear a pair. 

My guess is that 2.5 can be driver at excellent levels and control from X5-3 alone, but you might want to get an AMP to ater the sound, depending on your preferences! You can't go wrong with either, all those devices are cool!

I owned E12A for a year and it was an amazing AMP to be honest - sine A5 is similar, I can see people liking it a lot. 

Feb 17, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #2,719 of 15,899

Yes Brooko's review is a great one and i agree about the black background. It adds dynamic, richness and timber (IMO) to the already versatile X5 III. I would love to hear your impressions on the pairing too 

"Versatile" is an attribute that describes the X5 III very well. Its doing it's job in many situations with many different settings. Strangely I like the lower end HP/IEM better with the device. E.g. listening to Shure 215 is way better for me than with 425. That may be to my personal preference.

Some tweaking on FW and it's stellar. 

One wish: Faster booting :)

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #2,720 of 15,899

"Versatile" is an attribute that describes the X5 III very well. Its doing it's job in many situations with many different settings. Strangely I like the lower end HP/IEM better with the device. E.g. listening to Shure 215 is way better for me than with 425. That may be to my personal preference.

Faster booting is something i wish for too but android 5.1 takes a bit of time to boot as i remember from the older phones i had. 

But hey if people can wish for X7 II im sure we can wish for a faster boot time.
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #2,721 of 15,899
I'm still waiting for X5-3 as it is in Romanian customs, I will write an in-depth review on how it sounds when it arrives! 

I found X5ii to be the perfect DAP (But X5-3 is the perfect one to take it's place as the best DAP I heard to date!)

I also like U shaped signatures (owning Ultrasone Dj One Pro and Senn ie800 as headphones/IEMs). Heard many good things about 2.5, I am actually curious to hear a pair. 

My guess is that 2.5 can be driver at excellent levels and control from X5-3 alone, but you might want to get an AMP to ater the sound, depending on your preferences! You can't go wrong with either, all those devices are cool!

I owned E12A for a year and it was an amazing AMP to be honest - sine A5 is similar, I can see people liking it a lot. 

I loved ie800 but have been stolen.
We should meet once.
I think you'll like more x5II think it's more your kind of signature(of course from what i read)
Cowon plenue D can not drive my 2.5.I do not quite like the sound.
The D sounds better with jvc fx850,senn.amperior or audio-technica ath ws99 solid bass
I guess i need an amp.
A good one!

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #2,722 of 15,899

I also have se215.
The sound is good?
You ever tried with se846?
I'm curios how it would sound with 846!

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #2,723 of 15,899
I liked it so I ordered a pair of 215. Of course you have the issues that 215 have also with the Fiio. To a limited extend EQ on the Fiio helps. Maybe even more with viper. But haven't tried that.

Not listened to 846 so far.

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #2,724 of 15,899

Try the 425 with a 75 ohm adapter and an EQ bump to the sub bass.  You might be surprised what it is capable of.  But yes, your point still makes sense, often lower tier gear suits our preferences much better than higher priced stuff.

Feb 17, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #2,726 of 15,899
I'm wondering, since more and more people have the X5iii in their hands, how does the new X5iii compare with the iBasso DX80? I know it's not an entirely fair comparison, since the FiiO has more extensive features and functionality. But from a sound and UI perspective, how do they compare? 

Feb 17, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #2,727 of 15,899
    Not sure.

I have the C5 and will borrow the A5 in a few days since Brooko said it has a black background and it probably pairs well with the X5iii.
Brooko did a pretty thurough review of the A5

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-a5-portable-headphone-amplifier/reviews/17530

​Yeah do a comparison between the two that would be great. One thing with the X5-3 is that it got all touch screen and can't do the rubber band like the X5-2. What's the solution for this, tape? Lame!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back