Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Feb 13, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #2,536 of 15,899
  I did one more listening test, this time much longer exposure time (30 mins) and involving some other family members. 
Switched one headphones after another, tested all of my listed headphones, plus two unlisted. In the end, no one could tell the difference between Clip+, X3II or X5II me included. The only differences are what I already mentioned before.

That more or less reflects my own experience - I hear very little differences between my Clip Zip and my FIIO X3 II, but there's no doubt that the X5 construction is of a much better quality.

It would definitely be interesting to see an objective null test to prove your experience :)

Feb 14, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #2,537 of 15,899
So, here is my initial impressions video, based on recently released FW 1.1

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScwgulWqEVs[/VIDEO]

Warning, strong ukrainian accent is present, sorry.
Please note, it's an initial impressions only, not a full review, as I need much more time for final opinion. But actually, X5-3 looks pretty solid anyway.

Nice thorough intro. Nicely done. Looking forward to my time with the unit. :thumbsup::sunglasses:

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #2,538 of 15,899
I'm also considering DX200, what's your take on X5 iii vs DX200? Thanks

in short, they are almost opposites in sound. X5-3 sounds warmer and a bit smoother, while DX200 is neutral and technical. Also DX200 is brighter with faster lows and more treble. overall, DX200's sound is more "audiophiliac", for those who wants all that tiniest details and smallest nuances.

design-wise I prefer X5-3, Fiio did a really great job designing X5-3, IMHO it's on par with A&K in therms of design. less fancy, but as solid as Korean DAPs
also Fiio's firmware is a bit better (OTA updates, Play Market, etc), but iBasso's player better optimised for touch control (bigger buttons and captions)

and, of course, price difference.

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #2,539 of 15,899
very nice review... and excellent musical taste, actually I thought you had access to my music library lol ! Pink FLoyd, Maiden, Moonspell, Haken, Gilmour !
Looking forward to read your review on how Maiden sounds on this player !!!  I have X1 for now and sometimes think older recordings (e.g. Powerslave or 7th son) could sound more vivid, I hope this will be the case on X5iii

thank you for a feedback, will try to add some words about IM :)
actually, "Seventh Son…" is my test track for sibilance, Bruce's vocals are recorded really harsh here, so on many DAPs this "sssssevessssss" sounds really piercing. I've tried different remasters and versions of track, but most of them are too sharp anyway
actually, just tried this track with X5-3 + DUNU DN-2002 (also like them), and it's representation quite suits this track. X5-3 has massive low with good level of details, so intro really impresses, and treble is a bit softened, so those "ssssss" is present, but is almost normal :)

well, I'll go on to "fear of the dark" ))) slow parts are majestic…

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #2,540 of 15,899
thank you for a feedback, will try to add some words about IM :)
actually, "Seventh Son…" is my test track for sibilance, Bruce's vocals are recorded really harsh here, so on many DAPs this "sssssevessssss" sounds really piercing. I've tried different remasters and versions of track, but most of them are too sharp anyway
actually, just tried this track with X5-3 + DUNU DN-2002 (also like them), and it's representation quite suits this track. X5-3 has massive low with good level of details, so intro really impresses, and treble is a bit softened, so those "ssssss" is present, but is almost normal :)

well, I'll go on to "fear of the dark" ))) slow parts are majestic…

Seen Maiden live ssseven, no eight times.

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #2,541 of 15,899
in short, they are almost opposites in sound. X5-3 sounds warmer and a bit smoother, while DX200 is neutral and technical. Also DX200 is brighter with faster lows and more treble. overall, DX200's sound is more "audiophiliac", for those who wants all that tiniest details and smallest nuances.

design-wise I prefer X5-3, Fiio did a really great job designing X5-3, IMHO it's on par with A&K in therms of design. less fancy, but as solid as Korean DAPs
also Fiio's firmware is a bit better (OTA updates, Play Market, etc), but iBasso's player better optimised for touch control (bigger buttons and captions)

and, of course, price difference.

Tank you @cleg, based on the above and on my own preferences, I would sum up the main pros and cons of both as follows:

FiiO X5-3
Pros: design and build quality, two micro SD slots, availability of (balanced) docking station, price
Cons: mid-fi SQ, no amp rolling

DX200
Pros: audiophile SQ, Mango OS, interchangeable amps, UI, 64GB internal memory
Cons: fw still evolving, 1 micro SD slot, no docking station

This is just a very brief summary based exclusively on the info gathered in this thread, I hope to soon be able to demo them myself.

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #2,542 of 15,899
@cleg: many thanks for this feedback. We can realize progress which were done from the music production.
I wish for instance The evil that men do was more powerful, more fully bodied like recent productions
Do you play (not with madness) with the EQ?

@jmills8: I don't know how many times I saw them. Last tour is simply awesome.

Feb 14, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #2,543 of 15,899
Tank you @cleg, based on the above and on my own preferences, I would sum up the main pros and cons of both as follows

I cant's say that 64 Gb of internal memory is a plus here, as you can easily buy 64 Gb micro SD for second slot of X5-3, it's about $25 AFAIR, and you'll still have 32 Gb of built-in :)
And also, I can't say that Mango is better then Fiio's FW, as Mango really miss some important points.
Also, DX200 life time is noticeably less then Fiio X5-3
But sound-wise of course DX200 is a step up (not surprisingly, as it costs 2+ times more). Also, treble-sensitive people should consider that DX200 is brighter. For me it's a plus, but I've read complains.

So, I'm waiting for X7-2, which would be an actual rival for DX200

Feb 14, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #2,544 of 15,899
I cant's say that 64 Gb of internal memory is a plus here, as you can easily buy 64 Gb micro SD for second slot of X5-3, it's about $25 AFAIR, and you'll still have 32 Gb of built-in
smily_headphones1.gif

And also, I can't say that Mango is better then Fiio's FW, as Mango really miss some important points.
Also, DX200 life time is noticeably less then Fiio X5-3
But sound-wise of course DX200 is a step up (not surprisingly, as it costs 2+ times more). Also, treble-sensitive people should consider that DX200 is brighter. For me it's a plus, but I've read complains.

So, I'm waiting for X7-2, which would be an actual rival for DX200

Exactly right, I'm waiting for that too (hopefully not for too long) to try and get the best of both worlds 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #2,545 of 15,899
@cleg: many thanks for this feedback. We can realize progress which were done from the music production.
I wish for instance The evil that men do was more powerful, more fully bodied like recent productions
Do you play (not with madness) with the EQ?

Actually, Iron Maiden recently re-mastered almost all their recording with the help of Onkyo Music, but this works received mixed feedback. Remasters have more "modern" sound, cleaner, but with reduced DR.

As for EQ, I usually don't like it, as it's impacting the sound, but ViperFX in this FW is a nice addendum. It's not a "pure" sound, but sometimes it's fun to listen that. It's like a cheat meal in the world of audiophilia

Feb 14, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #2,546 of 15,899

blink.gif
  The X5-3 is a beautiful design while nearly all the AK's look like sh.t.

I hate the weird design of most AK's. Now build quality I'd agree with. 

Feb 14, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #2,547 of 15,899
Tank you @cleg, based on the above and on my own preferences, I would sum up the main pros and cons of both as follows:

FiiO X5-3

Pros: design and build quality, two micro SD slots, availability of (balanced) docking station, price

Cons: mid-fi SQ, no amp rolling

DX200

Pros: audiophile SQ, Mango OS, interchangeable amps, UI, 64GB internal memory

Cons: fw still evolving, 1 micro SD slot, no docking station

This is just a very brief summary based exclusively on the info gathered in this thread, I hope to soon be able to demo them myself.
Audiophile can be thick detailed sound with good controlled but impactful bass.

Feb 14, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #2,548 of 15,899
I may have missed it, but where is info/reviews stating that DX200 has "better" sound quality than the X5III ?

Hope people aren't just thinking double price makes it better?  Personally, I'm waiting for unbiased reviews from professional reviewers or comparisons from head-fi'ers who have both. I want one that sounds as close to a Chord Mojo in sound quality.

Feb 14, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #2,549 of 15,899
Repost (my original post was about 9 pages back)

@FiiO

I live in Indonesia and just got my X5 iii a couple of days ago from local distributor

Have put several folder of flacs - dsd - m4a (songs bought from itunes store) in the internal storage inside the Music folder, scanned everything ok, but fiio player can not play the files.

Tried to play from the folder directory but notification pop up said no music in folder

When tried to push the screen to play the songs in those folders, every song titles just run across the play screen without them actually playing

Tried playing the files with neutron player (downloaded from playstore) and they play all right.

Any idea what I can do to make the default fiio player play the folders ?

Have already update to the latest FW.

So basically I can play those files / folders using neutron, but fiio player doesn't seem to recognize the files

TIA

Dear KepinCemit,
We have replied your PM. Please check. Thank you!
Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Feb 14, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #2,550 of 15,899

Yes - but I never knew that it is like that before hearing something better 
biggrin.gif

My laptops, phones and everyhting from that time were much worse than J3... My laptop has a SABRE ESS DAC right now so I kinda have a better place of comparation. 

X5ii is still the best Device I owned to date - so there is that as well 

Before the Cowon, I had a Rio Karma. That was a sweet little DAP. The problem with it was that the battery expanded and it broke. Then after getting tired of the Cowon, I went with the Fiio X3II and I'm glad I did. It so blows away the Cowon.

I am trying to decide if I want to get an X5III. Also, if I do get one, I can get one in the US or in the UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back