Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jan 10, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #991 of 15,897
  Has anyone who had a listen to the X5III also tried the XDP-100R? I'm after a new player, and these both seem to fall into the sameish money. I've heard the 100R and was really impressed by it, with the Pinnacle P1 and PM-3.

XDP-300R is more current model and if you're willing to order from Amazon Japan it can be had for a bit cheaper than what expected MSRP for X5III. I was considering waiting for the X5III, but really wanted digital out through micro usb(coming later as I'm told from Fiio), and couldn't pass up the deal on the 300R. I still may consider the X5III once they update firmware to do digital out through micro usb. 

Jan 10, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #992 of 15,897
I still haven't seen an answer to the question of whether this player will decode Master Quality Authenticated (MQA) music.  If not, I find it misleading to use the term "Master Quality Audio" in reference to this DAP.

Jan 10, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #993 of 15,897
  I still haven't seen an answer to the question of whether this player will decode Master Quality Authenticated (MQA) music.  If not, I find it misleading to use the term "Master Quality Audio" in reference to this DAP.

I'm sorry but as far as i have been following this thread no where has either FiiO or anyone who is currently using the x5 iii claiming the DAP to have MQA. AFAIK MQA is a proprietary UK based tech company and they say this:

"MQA will be available across select streaming and download services. On conventional players without an MQA decoder, MQA will sound better than CD quality." and

"To truly unlock the richness of MQA you’ll need a device or software with an MQA decoder. On playback of MQA content, the player indicates that you are hearing exactly what the artist recorded and approved in the studio."

i am therefore guessing that it is possible even without a dedicated decoder either software/hardware based but whether fiio will implement it is a question only they and time can answer. Please correct me if im getting something wrong.

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #994 of 15,897
The problem with MQA isn't as much on its technicality but on the cost of its royalty fee. If it is reasonable, then of course FiiO will want to have it on all their DAP. I don't know the exact costs but I do know at least one manufacturer (*not FiiO, but someone else and it isn't a Chinese brand) has considered MQA but at the end has to give it up because MQA ltd. is asking for too much and they don't feel that the price will justifies the benefit.

Also note that MQA isn't an independent codec. It is an 'add on' to other codec by adding extra data onto the original compression (FLAC, ALAC, etc) on a separated data stream.. So even if a DAP doesn't support MQA, it will at least able to decode the music original data without MQA.

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #995 of 15,897

Also note that MQA isn't an independent codec. It is an 'add on' to other codec by adding extra data onto the original compression (FLAC, ALAC, etc) on a separated data stream.. So even if a DAP doesn't support MQA, it will at least able to decode the music original data without MQA.

That is exactly what i was talking about. thanks for better articulating it. By next week i should have the x5 iii and would need your guidance whenever required.

thanks

Jan 11, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #996 of 15,897
Thanks for the previous answers :)

ClieOS - have you noticed any popping/bangs when changing tracks with different sample rates or when shutting down the x5iii?

I found a chinese fiio site that lists a couple of these issues....

http://www.fiio.cn/story/528

Jan 11, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #997 of 15,897
  XDP-300R is more current model and if you're willing to order from Amazon Japan it can be had for a bit cheaper than what expected MSRP for X5III. I was considering waiting for the X5III, but really wanted digital out through micro usb(coming later as I'm told from Fiio), and couldn't pass up the deal on the 300R. I still may consider the X5III once they update firmware to do digital out through micro usb. 

That is another choice... Not going to be easy
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #999 of 15,897
  My only question,  Can you set any wallpaper background you want, like use a smale image from pc as long as i put it on the dap
and set it as background?

Yes! As has been said earlier, this is a DAP running custom android with most of androids functionality. Therefore you will be able to put any wallpaper you want.

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #1,001 of 15,897
  Thanks for the previous answers :)

ClieOS - have you noticed any popping/bangs when changing tracks with different sample rates or when shutting down the x5iii?

I found a chinese fiio site that lists a couple of these issues....

http://www.fiio.cn/story/528

I generated 4 files, all 1kHz test tone but with different bitdepth / sample rate - 16/44.1, 16/48, 32/96 and 32/192, then I put them on loop and listen. The result is inconclusive - sometime I didn't hear any sound between the files, sometime there seems to be a very faint 'click'. The faint click doesn't always occur on two specific files / bitdepth / sampling rate and therefore I can't say in certainty that it is the sound generated by the DAC when switching bitdepth / sampling rate, as sometime I also notice a slight 'click' during the beginning or between music of the same bitdepth / sampling rate, and it seems more like a relay or headphone protection circuit kicking in.

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #1,002 of 15,897
Just to be a dick I m going to make your life even harder naming the dp x11..check it out

At the moment i m split between the fiio x5iii and waiting for the dp x11

Hehe!
Is the DP-X11 the rumoured Onkyo Smartphone/DAP? I had my eye on that too
tongue_smile.gif

I haven't checked in the last 7 days or so, but last time I checked, there were no updates (for a long, long time).. Any news?

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #1,004 of 15,897
Finally fiio, audio output through the USB port. This is exactly what I have been looking for and at this price I think this will be the DAP that I will be getting. Fingers crossed that the launch goes smoothly with no major bugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back