Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Nov 29, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #12,151 of 15,897
I'm starting to think my X5 is defective. Sometimes, it stops registering touch inputs. Sometimes, it just stops responding. Sometimes I have to turn it off. It's an absolute pain to use. I bought it on eBay. Perhaps the seller knew it was broken.

I'm updating to 1.1.8, but I'm slowly starting to believe I just bought a very expensive paperweight.
Yes looks like that. Just one thing to try before you give up on it is to use it without any mSD cards and see if the sluggishness is remedied.

Nov 29, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #12,152 of 15,897
Yes looks like that. Just one thing to try before you give up on it is to use it without any mSD cards and see if the sluggishness is remedied.

I used it for a while without an SD Card. It was terribly sluggish then. It's pretty bad now with a 200GB card. It's not sluggish, actually. It simply stops responding for 10 or 20 seconds.

Nov 29, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #12,153 of 15,897
Sounds like a dud. My experience is totally different (yes I’m one of the reviewers, and yes I was totally honest :wink: )

Nov 29, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #12,154 of 15,897
I used it for a while without an SD Card. It was terribly sluggish then. It's pretty bad now with a 200GB card. It's not sluggish, actually. It simply stops responding for 10 or 20 seconds.
See thats the exact reason why i think you might have a faulty unit. One more thing i can think of is to use the fw tool and flash the FW from a PC. I am just swinging in the dark to be very honest.

Nov 30, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #12,155 of 15,897
For what it's worth I recently wiped and reset my X5 Gen 3. I also formatted my SD cards to NTFS on my PC prior to installing them. Once it all booted up I went into settings and activated the developer options by tapping the build number 10x times and delved into the menu. To obsolve the CPU of whatever I could I selected stay awake on, no background processess allowed, no transition animations, and foreced 2D GPU rendering. So far this has yielded positive results in my quest for smoother Tidal playback. Only hiccups today; no crashes.....also I'm sticking to smaller playlists as opposed to shuffling my all songs playlist contain around 2k songs.

Nov 30, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #12,156 of 15,897
@FiiO

After one week with the X5, I'm pretty happy with the user experience and VERY satisfied with the sound quality.
But there is room for improvement, so here's a list of issues I encountered so far:
  • Folder browser in FiiO Music app should remember last navigation position, and not return to root every time.
  • It would be better to take ViPER4Android out of FiiO Music and make it a system app so it can be available for any music player.
  • ID tags not handled properly in the "Now Playing screen" when loading a single-file FLAC album with .cue sheet, first song displays "Unknown Artist", and correct album name. Then from the second song on, "Unknown Album" and correct artist name.
  • Battery percentage in status bar not visible on lock screen
  • .wv (WavPack) format not supported with FiiO Music
  • Pausing playback for 1 minute or more, cannot be resumed using headphone's inline remote, only physical or screen button on X5.
  • When in Pure Music Mode, starting the DAP, music should auto-resume only if a jack is inserted. (headphones or LO).
Hi,
Do you mean that FiiO Music app should remember last navigation position of the folder when turning on again?
We may not being able to add the Viper effect as a system APP as the Viper effect is not made by us but the Viper company. It is one kind of sound effect which is implanted in APP instead.
If you don't mind, please send us the Flac files having issue you mentioned.
You can unlock the screen or turn on the lockscreen album art in FiiO Music for reading the battery percentage. We will report to our engineer about that and consider adding it.
Yes, .wv format is not supported by the FiiO Music. We didn't mention about the support to it as well.
We tested that the in-line remote control can still be available after pausing playback. Did you try another headphone or maybe other operation we should pay attention to?
Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 30, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #12,157 of 15,897
I'm playing a track off of internal storage and if I hit pause on the lock screen the track immediately restarts and does not pause. It requires another press to pause. But it's just paused at the beginning of the track. I have play/pause hardware button disabled on lock screen / screen off.
Hi,
Would the issue happen everytime? Maybe you can provide us some files for testing and confirming the issue?
Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 30, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #12,158 of 15,897
Hi,
Do you mean that FiiO Music app should remember last navigation position of the folder when turning on again?
No, I mean during the same playing session, navigating to a certain folder, then going to the "Now playing" screen, when returning to folder navigation it is on root and not at the last navigated folder. It should remember last navigated position.

If you don't mind, please send us the Flac files having issue you mentioned.
That issue is present on any single-file FLAC album containing multiple tracks with .cue sheet. I tried many. No need to send you a specific one.

You can unlock the screen or turn on the lockscreen album art in FiiO Music for reading the battery percentage. We will report to our engineer about that and consider adding it.
OK, all items on the status bar should be visible on lockscreen at anytime (also when no app is started). That way one can check battery easily.

We tested that the in-line remote control can still be available after pausing playback. Did you try another headphone or maybe other operation we should pay attention to?
Best regards
Yes, I tried with two headphones, the same.
Please pause it for more than 80 seconds, 2 minutes to be sure. Then trying to press play on the in-line remote is not working. My guess is that when the DAC is switched off after some time-out it doesn't respond to in-line command and so playback is not resumed.

Nov 30, 2017 at 7:30 AM Post #12,159 of 15,897
See thats the exact reason why i think you might have a faulty unit. One more thing i can think of is to use the fw tool and flash the FW from a PC. I am just swinging in the dark to be very honest.
It's broken. It can stream via spotify, but if I try to play vbr AACs, the sound just cuts off after a minute and sometimes comes back, sometimes it doesn't. The VU meter freezes, too. Navigation is broken, the back button sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't.

EDIT:

What on earth. I reformatted the unit once again, it lost all battery, charged it and scanned my library. It now works flawlessly. Spotify works pretty good, too.

What I found.

1) The leatherette protector doesn't let you select the menu or back buttons correctly. It fits too closely to the software buttons. So, there's problem #1.
2) I had disabled the Browser and email apps, thinking I could speed up the unit. When I reset the whole thing (again), I left everything enabled.

I don't know if this helped, but I have been listening to the unit for two hours without an issue.

I'm slowly warming up to the sound. Speed is pretty much OK, it's completely usable now, and appropiate to a DAP, I guess.

I'll use it all day today and see what happens.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #12,160 of 15,897
It's broken. It can stream via spotify, but if I try to play vbr AACs, the sound just cuts off after a minute and sometimes comes back, sometimes it doesn't. The VU meter freezes, too. Navigation is broken, the back button sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't.

EDIT:

What on earth. I reformatted the unit once again, it lost all battery, charged it and scanned my library. It now works flawlessly. Spotify works pretty good, too.

What I found.

1) The leatherette protector doesn't let you select the menu or back buttons correctly. It fits too closely to the software buttons. So, there's problem #1.
2) I had disabled the Browser and email apps, thinking I could speed up the unit. When I reset the whole thing (again), I left everything enabled.

I don't know if this helped, but I have been listening to the unit for two hours without an issue.

I'm slowly warming up to the sound. Speed is pretty much OK, it's completely usable now, and appropiate to a DAP, I guess.

I'll use it all day today and see what happens.
Glad it works now! :)
The Browser and Email disabled apps could be affecting it because they are system apps and better not be disabled. Email also has some Exchange services that if disabled can create problems.
Hope it will work good for now on!

Dec 1, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #12,161 of 15,897
I'm experiencing a small issue (won't call it a problem) which I think has previously been discussed here. I recently picked up a couple of higher capacity SD cards (1x256gb & 1x200gb). I loaded up the 256 gb card and it scanned in flawlessly, but it's not sorted quite alphabetically. In "Folder" view (which is all I use), all letter groups are okay (A's, B's, C's etc. are together) but within the letter groups, Artist names are a bit of a jumble.

Example, the A category is as follows:

America
Anderson, Muriel
Aretha Franklin
Atlanta Rhythm Section
Avakian, Helen

then

Alan Parson
Allman Bros

The B category goes from Bad Company > Beatles > Band, The

This is not a big deal, but if there's a fix, I'd like to be aware of it.

TIA!!!

Dec 1, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #12,162 of 15,897
I'm experiencing a small issue (won't call it a problem) which I think has previously been discussed here. I recently picked up a couple of higher capacity SD cards (1x256gb & 1x200gb). I loaded up the 256 gb card and it scanned in flawlessly, but it's not sorted quite alphabetically. In "Folder" view (which is all I use), all letter groups are okay (A's, B's, C's etc. are together) but within the letter groups, Artist names are a bit of a jumble.

Example, the A category is as follows:

America
Anderson, Muriel
Aretha Franklin
Atlanta Rhythm Section
Avakian, Helen

then

Alan Parson
Allman Bros

The B category goes from Bad Company > Beatles > Band, The

This is not a big deal, but if there's a fix, I'd like to be aware of it.

TIA!!!
Third party music app is the fix unless FIIO fixes it, don't hold your breath as the fix was requested early on and ignored or forgotten.

Dec 1, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #12,163 of 15,897
Glad it works now! :)
The Browser and Email disabled apps could be affecting it because they are system apps and better not be disabled. Email also has some Exchange services that if disabled can create problems.
Hope it will work good for now on!

Damn, it does work now properly. I listened to it yesterday for 5 hours, and today for 2. It ROCKS. I now have the V20 to compare to. I wonder if I'll end up with two DAPs. I love its sound. Absolutely LOVE it.

Thank you for your help!!!!

Dec 1, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #12,164 of 15,897
Does it really take Apple money to get proper sorting of letters in the alphabet?
My iPods have been doing this right for years.

Dec 1, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #12,165 of 15,897
Third party music app is the fix unless FIIO fixes it, don't hold your breath as the fix was requested early on and ignored or forgotten.
Okay, thanks for the info. It's not that big a deal. I prefer the Pure Music app as it's the only I know of that plays through folders. I'm an "artist" listener, so I tend to pick an artist and go through the discography first to last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back