Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jul 13, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #10,246 of 15,899
I'm using Fiio Music only in the latest version of firmware. The OTG works fine with both the android and pure music mode. I say it is working fine in the sense that there is no stutter. However, the OTG connect does not work with the Onkyo app during my testing. (I do not have other apps).

Sometimes (not really frequent) I could hear some minor noise when I listen to soft music. But it is not really sigificant. Don't know why but I guess it is related to my touching the USB cable.

The display light of the Mojo is orange (which indicates 48khz) even though I am using music in FLAC format. It works with DSD files too.

The biggest problem is that after using this connection, I have experienced system hanging for three times and I need to hard reboot. I guess it is a firmware/app issue.
Dear friend,

Seems you are talking about the USB audio output for X5III.We are still trying to solve this issue. Not sure when we could make it well, but we will make it well ASAP.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 13, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #10,247 of 15,899
Dear friend,

Seems you are talking about the USB audio output for X5III.We are still trying to solve this issue. Not sure when we could make it well, but we will make it well ASAP.

Best regards

This was advertised as a feature that would work from day one, and was one of the main reasons I bought the DAP in the first place. This needs to be fixed as a matter of absolute priority!

Jul 13, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #10,248 of 15,899
I do not think I understand, Mojo lights indicate 48 khz even with 44 khz files?
And these lights, with dsd files, correctly indicate a dsd stream?
Thanks again! :wink:
First of all I have to apologise for the wrong information. The USB output does NOT support DSD files...... I mistakenly used the wrong files to test in the first test.

About the Orange (48khz) for 44.1 khz....... It really shows the Orange but I just don't understand why. On the other hand, when I play 96khz, the light is also orange.......

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #10,249 of 15,899
Another good pairing, I must say.

X5>IM03

Listening to David Bowie's Space Oddity, the treble still comes through nice and sparkly, and the vocals are pretty clear. And oh, that bass.

Excellent pairing. Thank you. I managed to get a used but fully working condition im03 for $150usd, slapped on a SPC cable with complys for better fit and viola, lovely. Would like to ask you though, if i may, what would be a natural, significant upgrade from the im03, essentially keeping the DNA but maybe more refined, spacious, spin tingling? budget range between $500 to $1000. Any insights would be appreciated! Thanks!

Jul 13, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #10,250 of 15,899
Do you guys think it is a good idea that I sell my Aune M1s for Fiio X5 3rd gen since it supports up to around 500gb of storage (dual micro sd card) since my music library is too massive to fit into even a 256gb micro sd card......

Jul 13, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #10,251 of 15,899
Can anyone else tell me if this is a common issue and if there is any resolution?

When ever I play playlists on random play all the player always gets to a point where it will play the first 2-3 seconds of a song, then crash. Sometimes this happens right away, other times it will take 1/2 hour for it to happen. It seems completely random as to when it will happen, but it will happen every single time as long as you let the playlist play long enough. I only use externally created playlists so I can't say whether it's a problem with internal as well.

I've tried to keep track of what's happening and it doesn't seem to be song specific (i.e. a song may crash at one time, but play perfectly well another). I've also noticed it happen with playlists of just 100 or so songs, so I don't think it has anything to do with length of the playlist. I suspect that the player is having an issue accessing both of the SD Cards as I will sometimes get a message about drives being unexpectedly dismounted. However, the player does play the first 3 seconds of the next song before crashing, so the player is obviously able to access the drive it needs for that amount of time before the app crashes.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #10,252 of 15,899
First of all I have to apologise for the wrong information. The USB output does NOT support DSD files...... I mistakenly used the wrong files to test in the first test.

About the Orange (48khz) for 44.1 khz....... It really shows the Orange but I just don't understand why. On the other hand, when I play 96khz, the light is also orange.......

No news, therefore, the USB output continues to be unusable.
And spdif has a limited functionality...
How many promises not kept, this is the last Fiio device I buy, I'm really tired

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #10,253 of 15,899
Just wanted to second this, I'm getting around eight hours of solid use. All wireless connections off, typically playing albums so only screen on every ten or so tracks. Mostly FLAC with maybe 5% mp3s. Quite satisfied with the battery life.

OK. After being brow-beaten by several fellow Head-Fiers, my X5III (betsy)
concurs. Unnoticed, unpaired, unconnected BT > OFF, resulted in a dramatic increase in stand alone battery life.

I have noticed that the steady battery drain is significantly slower. I have not measured the total time – but it appears it’s going to be much higher than 4 hours maximum.

Thank you for the heads-up.

Jul 13, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #10,254 of 15,899
OK. After being brow-beaten by several fellow Head-Fiers, my X5III (betsy)
concurs. Unnoticed, unpaired, unconnected BT > OFF, resulted in a dramatic increase in stand alone battery life.

I have noticed that the steady battery drain is significantly slower. I have not measured the total time – but it appears it’s going to be much higher than 4 hours maximum.

Thank you for the heads-up.

I apologize for any perceived brow-beatification. Not intentional, and glad that the change is helping you.

Cheers :gs1000smile:

Jul 13, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #10,256 of 15,899
I have never been able to get my 256mb Samsung (different brand) to work in the fiio properly, in either slot. Formatted in Windows and or in the device
I went with two 200GB cards and all things are fine now.

Some others have been successful with the 256mb cards (sure they will chime in).

I have 2 256gb cards. They work, but I wouldn't say that they've been "successful." It seems like the player frequently loses contact with one or the other, causing it to crash the app. Plus, sometimes when you go into folder sorting mode one or the other drive doesn't show up. So I'll have to exit and try again before it will.

Honestly, I don't know if that's an issue with the x5's ability to read 256gb cards, if it's a general issue with all x5 iiis, or if it's just something wrong with my player. This is my second Fiio, though, and probably my last. Their players just have too many bugs and issues.

Jul 13, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #10,259 of 15,899
As of today, my unit has stopped charging. I've tried several different outlets and cables. There's no indication it's been plugged in. Occasionally, it powers on if I insert the cable. I have rebooted it several times.

Jul 14, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #10,260 of 15,899
I used mine with SE 846s today and it sounded great and worked flawlessly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back