Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
May 28, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #9,331 of 15,897
Ok - sorry, should have read your original post better. I personally find crossfade a complete and utter waste of time - would much rather see FiiO concentrate on something like ReplayGain - but different strokes for different folks I guess. If it is really important for you - you could try the Neutron player with the X5iii - it has a crossfade function (and its customisable).
Neutron reproduces for folders ?, because if it is not like that I do not use that program, and if it reproduces by folders it does not have the BASSPOWER that I want, like the Okyo (or whatever it is called). The poweramp program does have it, but it hangs when you use the crossfade option (because the poweramp is not fully prepared to work with the X5III).
And we go back to the usual, you may not care about that option, it is respectable, just as I do not care about many other requests from other users that ask for many things (some are useless to my way of looking at things ) to @FiiO and I see it well that they ask for it, and I hope FIIO will implement all the requests of all the others that are useful, because that would please if not to all the majority.
It would be the answer of @FiiO in the crossfade theme.

May 28, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #9,332 of 15,897
I thought i was being silly for wanting Folder view in every goddamned music player.

May 28, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #9,334 of 15,897
i would just like to ask how much these go for now in HK? Will be there next month and would like to check some android daps. If the ap200 is not out yet this would be the best option.
3,100 HKD region.

May 28, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #9,336 of 15,897
DMA, Lets Go Audio, Right Shop Audio.

May 28, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #9,339 of 15,897
You seems to have similar impression as mine for fiio x5 3rd gen. I find it hardly better than shanling m1 and sound Blaster e3. Not sure if faulty unit/amp. Sound stage is bad and instrument separation is on the muddy side. Feels like a device that limit the performance of your iem / headphones rather than improving it. But then, I'll be keeping it to see if fiio improve the sound through software. I expect them to Magically release a firmware that sound good after the release of X7ii
I tend to think you may have a unit that is defective. My unit does not show any of those traits. From reading the thread since day one, it is also a fact that the vast majority of people are not hearing this either.
Of course there are as many different perceptions as there are listeners, but with the high percentage that do not agree with yours, it is an indication that you X5 III is probably an exception.

It is true though that once a person has expressed their thoughts, I am not sure it is productive to repeat the same information over and over again.

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #9,340 of 15,897
I tend to think you may have a unit that is defective. My unit does not show any of those traits. From reading the thread since day one, it is also a fact that the vast majority of people are not hearing this either.
Of course there are as many different perceptions as there are listeners, but with the high percentage that do not agree with yours, it is an indication that you X5 III is probably an exception.
And you are Dang right.

Welp, got a chance jce to visit the store this afternoon and tried the demo unit. Turns out my unit is indeed, defective. The demo unit have way better sound stage tho is just tad little smaller than sound Blaster e3 and shanling m1(likely due to warmish signature) . While it didn't win in soundstage, separation are noticeably better than the two. Man. Listening to my unit compare to demo unit is like listening to stereo and semi mono sound.

Welp, it is going to be sent for repair.

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #9,341 of 15,897
Ok - sorry, should have read your original post better. I personally find crossfade a complete and utter waste of time - would much rather see FiiO concentrate on something like ReplayGain - but different strokes for different folks I guess. If it is really important for you - you could try the Neutron player with the X5iii - it has a crossfade function (and its customisable).
I tend to agree. I would much rather have ReplayGain. I have mentioned this on a few occasions. I hope that Fiio is listening. It took them quite a while to get that in place for the X5 II. I hope that they don't forget about it on the III.

I guess the cross fade would be OK, but it doesn't seem to be something that would significantly increase the usability of the system for most people.

May 28, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #9,343 of 15,897
Good Question that I can't really answer tbh.
Headphones I have are HD650 T50mk3 and Shure se215.
I would say the DAP shouldn't color too much but also should not be too analytical . I want to have fun while listening.
Hmm your gear of choice seems to be more toward the darker tyoe of sound signature. If thats your sound preference. Fiio x5 3rd gen might be good for you. Tho i don't know if warm gear become too warm if used with fiio x5 3rd gen. If you want go more balanced. Either dp x1 or ak70 will do with dp-x1 likely to provide better sound stage, highs department compared to ak70(other area don't seems to have much difference) .

May 28, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #9,345 of 15,897
Hmm your gear of choice seems to be more toward the darker tyoe of sound signature. If thats your sound preference. Fiio x5 3rd gen might be good for you. Tho i don't know if warm gear become too warm if used with fiio x5 3rd gen. If you want go more balanced. Either dp x1 or ak70 will do with dp-x1 likely to provide better sound stage, highs department compared to ak70(other area don't seems to have much difference) .
problem is I would have to get the onkyo from outside as there are no sellers atm in germany i think
btw how does the fiio x5iii compare to the shanling m2s ??

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back