Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
May 11, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #8,836 of 15,897
I have been using the 1More triples with my X5III since I got it. I really like the sound... never felt I was missing much. I certainly do not think that they are a serious impediment to my enjoyment of the system. But, I am not a believer in the fact that adding more money is the answer to better quality in and of itself. If somebody has a budget of around $100 I would recommend them as something to try.
I came into a set of Sony MDR Ex1000 a couple of weeks ago. I also really like them, but for different reasons. I find the highs and the size of the presentation to be better but I am not fond of the ergonomics at all. Now I am spending more money finding tips that work and a balanced cable... but they do sound good. Had I not been given them, I would not have spent the $300 plus over the 1More to get them.
Obviously this is all about my personal priorities, but I do avoid saying that anyone "needs" to spend X dollars to find a good fit for what they are looking for.

I don't believe that blindly throwing money at the IEM's is a solution either. I tried a MDR-1 (300$) with the X5 and was unimpressed with the sound. What I'm saying is that higher range hardware exists for a reason and if it fits your taste higher tier hardware will have better sound, most of the time. Take the quad drivers compared to the triple, they sound "mostly" the same but offer a better defined sound and that advantage can be exploited by the X5.

Also one of the main reasons I bought an higher range is because of the replaceable cable. I'm tired of buying IEM's that die because of a stupid cable.

Last edited:
May 11, 2017 at 5:39 AM Post #8,837 of 15,897
Yes, if you configured it correctly, you can operate X5 through the Audi MMI Interface only, very easy ...
Looks like the following:

Wow, to me this solution has the potential to be "best practice" for the use of an android DAP in a car !

Does your car's headunit prvide the WLAN-Hotspot or are you using your Smartphone therefore?

Thanks for the very interesting Information!

Servus aus Wien
Guenter

May 11, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #8,838 of 15,897
Audi provides in-car WiFi, so I have the best quality possible, as there is no compression compared to Bluetooth ...
The files are transmitted via WiFi and then played by the car system.
The only thing: The car system does not play HighEnd DSD files and 24/192 Flacs.
But 24/96 Flac Files are played correctly :)

May 11, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #8,839 of 15,897
When you are playing music in folder view and before the screen blanks, are you keeping it in folder view with all the songs down the left side?

When I am using folder view and after the screen blanks, I press the power button to turn on the screen.

After swiping the screen I am back in folder view with the same album playing, I am not getting the problems you are.

EDIT:

I just read your post again.

I then listen for a bit, when I put the screen back on I get the view showing the art, play/pause, skip etc.

It sounds like you are talking about the screen lock, does the screen art fill the whole screen with the play pause etc, overlaid?

If so then it is the screenlock, just swipe the screen from Left to Right and you will be back in folder view.

Ah I didn't know about that Swipe - thank you very much. My only niggle is that it shows you the tracks in the folder view which I agree is useful. However, it basically takes you to a list of the tracks in that folder. So for me I have my music set out as Artist/Album/Tracks (probably fairly typical). So it's now showing all the tracks in that Album. If I decide I want to access something else by that artist I'd still have to manually go back to the Folder View and scroll down or search for that Artist again.

That's unless there's another Swipe I haven't discovered!

May 11, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #8,840 of 15,897
The Spotify issue is an issue with that app, so I suggest you lodge a support ticket with them.

As for wifi, as has been mentioned a few times you need to turn on 'Keep on WiFi during sleep's in the advanced wifi options.

Hi, the only device with this problem is my fiio, i have spotify family sub. I have read forums about this problem, but only device with deleting offline files is my x5... and the wifi problem - of course i have selected wifi on - always - problem with disconnecting is still here...

May 11, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #8,841 of 15,897
Spotify issues: This morning I powered up my X5 (I usually don't shut it down) and spotify asked me me to log back in again. Note that I use facebook login. At the time I launched Spotify I was not connected to the internet.

I got to work, connected my X5 to wifi, launched spotify and it connected without asking a login, but my offline library was gone.

Now I'm downloading a few songs again. I've checked my offline devices on the spotify webpage but I still have a single offline device, which has been updated yesterday.

UPDATE
I now have 2 offline devices in spotify. Both are the X5-3, one was updated yesterday (and will never be anymore) and the other one was updated today.

May 11, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #8,842 of 15,897
@superuser1 - Dunu DN2000 , you do not find neutral ? just curious

@New Fiio Owner - My bad i said Meze, as Meze 99 which many of us end up praising. So i meant headphones not earphones. However, my requirement was instead to look for an IEM now. As my current set of in-ears are not giving me same joy as Meze 99 and searching one that gives similar sound as Meze and lot more mobility, that too under a certain budget and hopefully with a mmcx connector. (i already have balanced cables :frowning2: )

@dsrk - I would check 1more for sure, have you tried Magaosi? Thanks

@mandrake50 - Yes Sony 1000 is something i look for. See there is always a "diminishing margin on return to $". So someone say my player at work and told me why didn't i buy mp3 player, and all of my explanation etc didn't make him understand whats the point of spending so much. it was to him does it give you such high returns??? . So no judgement, but i personally feel people put price points to various things. I will only spend X$ on one thing, and anything above it seems overspending or unnecessary, and all people have their own "X". I might feel $300 for Meze is worth it, and someone finds $1000 as right worth of some other brand. (though i too cannot afford Sony :) )

@JaeYoon - Trinity Phantom i would for sure check it feels little out of my budget :D . Thank you.

Westone 40 in my country is for 900$ USD :frowning2:..... so for sure out of my budget

May 11, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #8,843 of 15,897
Ah I didn't know about that Swipe - thank you very much. My only niggle is that it shows you the tracks in the folder view which I agree is useful. However, it basically takes you to a list of the tracks in that folder. So for me I have my music set out as Artist/Album/Tracks (probably fairly typical). So it's now showing all the tracks in that Album. If I decide I want to access something else by that artist I'd still have to manually go back to the Folder View and scroll down or search for that Artist again.

That's unless there's another Swipe I haven't discovered!

I only use folder view like I did on the X5II (I'm a stubborn old G*t), Genre/Artist/Album/Tracks.

After swiping the Fiio it will open up in the Album folder.​

To select other Albums from that artist, press the left sided triangle (back key) on the bottom left side of the screen and you will be taken back to the Artist folder.​

May 11, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #8,844 of 15,897
May 11, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #8,845 of 15,897
@FiiO:
I connect my x5iii with my car hifi system (vw composition media) with bluetooth. So I have bluetooth audio streaming and I can control pause/play/previous/next song with the car controls. But: with the fiio audio app I don't see any information about the song in the display of my car, it shows only "FIIO". With the installed Spotify or poweramp apps I can see all the information, so there is a problem with the fiio app. Please correct this in next firmware versions.
And I hope there will come an USB audio connection, because with the fiio x3 I already have this working with my car hifi system.

BR

May 11, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #8,846 of 15,897
Audi provides in-car WiFi, so I have the best quality possible, as there is no compression compared to Bluetooth ...
The files are transmitted via WiFi and then played by the car system.
The only thing: The car system does not play HighEnd DSD files and 24/192 Flacs.
But 24/96 Flac Files are played correctly :)

In a car Environment, I doubt there is much you're going to discern from 24/96, 24/192 and DSD. Might as well convert them all into 24/96 and have your car audio play it.

May 11, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #8,847 of 15,897
In a car Environment, I doubt there is much you're going to discern from 24/96, 24/192 and DSD. Might as well convert them all into 24/96 and have your car audio play it.
Also as it's bypassing the X5 amp, dac, player and decoders you might as well stick all the files on a USB stick (converted to 24/96 flac) and leave it in the car. :confused:

May 11, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #8,848 of 15,897
Also as it's bypassing the X5 amp, dac, player and decoders you might as well stick all the files on a USB stick (converted to 24/96 flac) and leave it in the car. :confused:
I can't categorically state that all car audio is the same, but many that rely on MOST fiber optic, down sample to CD quality resolution. I checked this with Mobridge. USB stick is a lot easier in the long run than hooking up the X5iii.

May 11, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #8,849 of 15,897
You're right, but, as I use FiiO not exclusively in the car, I do not convert the 24/192 or DSD Files.

My main reason for FiiO was a limitation of the car system. Audi supports only 10'000 Files per media, and with my music library of about 80'000 files I was looking for a solution. My Samsung handy with Bluetooth and WiFi was a better solution, but in terms of storage capacity somehow limited. So I came to the conclusion, that a system that supports Bluetooth and WiFi streaming with more storage than the handy would be ideal. At my evaluation I ended up with FiiO X5-III, my first portable music system since a Sony MD walkman many many years ago.

Today, I appreciate my DAP while travelling by train or plane, as an extension of the in-car system and I guess, with the availability of a good docking station soon as an extension to the home stereo system.

And, I'm shure, FiiO will do their best to support larger microSD cards, as soon as they become available :L3000:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back