Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Apr 10, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #7,261 of 15,899
Omg! The Fiio x5 is so great that it cured my tinnitus! :O

No but seriously, I'm glad I got this little gem even though it has some flaws for an android fan... Next step: find some time to make a custom ROM... :)

Let me know if I can help. I do not have experience cooking ROMs but I am a very fast learner.

Apr 10, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #7,262 of 15,899
  I'm somewhat IEM-less. I have CIEMS, but they hurt my ears after a couple of minutes... so I don't use them.

I can highly recommend the Dunu DK-3001. Comes with both regular and balanced cable. Perhaps a bit pricey at $500, but absolutely top-notch sound (with the right tips)

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #7,263 of 15,899
  I can highly recommend the Dunu DK-3001. Comes with both regular and balanced cable. Perhaps a bit pricey at $500, but absolutely top-notch sound (with the right tips)

I really want to try one out! 

Why doesn't DUNU come to Romania as well? 
frown.gif

Three weeks with new X5 3. By my opinion – raw Beta version. Lot of promised functions not working – DSD playback among them.
Things to improve:
1.      1.Strange clipping when jumping to another track or jumping forward to the middle of song – processor catches part of previous song for about 0,5 seconds, then “Hr” then new selected track. Solution – some programed muting in software?
2.      2.Fiio X5 3, by my opinion, it is not ready for HR playback. With 16bit – no problems. 24 bit till 96 – no problems. Problems starting from 192. If VU output power meter display is turned on, player start clipping. If you go to SD file tree display – start clipping. Sometimes even freezes – if I go to Viper menu especially. Only way to avoid clipping – turn out display. Have bad feeling that processor it is not capable to handle such big files playback. Hope, that will be fixed. Have feeling, that palyer playing HD files at lower volume - higher resolution, lower volume.
3.      3.Display not rotating – how we can play videos in "smart player"?!
4.      4.Balanced output – great, but ACG it would be even better. It would utilize dual apm architecture to the upmost.
5.      5.Sound signature. There is some space for programmers to improve. Smoothness – great, but lacking of details. Soundstage – lacking depth an wideness (to compare to my Onkyo DP X1). Maybe idea for future – possibility to choose sound signature – neutral, V, U, sharp, bite etc.?
       6.Equalizer – missing function to memorize settings – lot of people are using different headphones, and it is not convenient every time to set up new settings manually.
7.      7.Battery life – have feeling that something (program or hardware) it is draining too fast in standby mode. Onkyo with smaller battery lasts longer.
 8.Power button... Unresponsive, beg for easier way to turn on screen - double tap as in smartphones?
 9.Slow, very slow....
10.Viper effects turns off randomly - can't find system - why?
11.VLC player clipping on every song beginning.

Despite “new toy” syndrome, I am more often coming back to my “old” Onkyo DP X1. Sorry, FiiO…. Looking forward for improvement.

I cannot help with most of those things, but on video thingy - do you really want to watch videos on a 4" screen? 
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #7,264 of 15,899
It’s been 2 weeks and I must say I am loving the x5 especially on my P1s. Unfortunately I have now fallen prey to the Spotify bug which has deleted all of my downloaded albums. The Albums were stored on the internal storage. I am running FW1.1.4 and the latest version of Spotify from the Google Play store. I am not sure if it is related by the Spotify app had also logged out, the albums were still showing in my library just not downloaded. I have followed the trouble shooting pages on the Spotify forums to no avail. Has anyone found a solution to this?

Hi, same problem with me until I save the songs to sd1. The problem also occurs when i save it to sd2.
Let me know how does it works for you.

I download the spotify from google play too with the same FW

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #7,265 of 15,899
Got my FiiO X5 3rd Gen from AudioAfair.co.uk. However, it looks suspiciously like the original first gen X5! They sent the wrong one! Funny thing is, on their site, they still want £219 for the 1st gen X5 (New old stock)

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/fiio-x5-mk1-portable-music-player

Every cloud and all that, at least it's firmware is stable.

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #7,266 of 15,899
  Got my FiiO X5 3rd Gen from AudioAfair.co.uk. However, it looks suspiciously like the original first gen X5! They sent the wrong one! Funny thing is, on their site, they still want £219 for the 1st gen X5 (New old stock)

That is the New Exclusive Retro Edition, lucky you.

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #7,267 of 15,899
Wouldn't that be really cool! It's actually a new retro Nokia 3310! lol.

In fairness, AudioAffair have been great in the past. Unfortunately, a day after dispatch the courier sent it back to them and it has taken six days to get to this point.

I'm sure the fault lies with a fulfillment company and not with AudioAffair themselves, as they have no control over 3rd party companies.

I've actually made them an offer on it, as it is mint "New old stock". We'll see what happens.

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #7,268 of 15,899
My X5 iii will no longer sync when I plug it in to a computer via USB.  It will charge, but the menu giving me the option to transfer files won't appear automatically like it used to.  Anyone have any idea what the problem could be?  Did I accidentally change some kind of option on the Fiio itself or my PC?  Windows doesn't detect the drive when I plug it in either.

I've tried several USB chords so it's not the chord.

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #7,269 of 15,899

Thought I'd post some impressions of the X5III, been using it for a couple of weeks and mostly loving it.
wink.gif

First tested with my office cans, Senn HD25-1 II, great sound overall, a little pain with the interface but similar funkiness with X5/X5II.
Next was testing with my main daily IEMs, Shure SE846 (using the Logitech inline remote cable) and was rather disappointed.
frown.gif

The inline remote wasn't very responsive for starters, although the volume controls now worked so a plus over the X5II, mostly the click speed was awkward to time and completely different from the X5II or iPhone. On top of that the sound was really muddy compared to the HD25s or previous X5s.
Lucky for me my X5III (red :) ) order took forever to arrive and I'd ended up ordering the Fiio balanced shure cable and RM1 remote while waiting.
Switched the cable over and.... WOW!
ksc75smile.gif

That was the biggest difference I've ever heard from a cable change but the first time I've tested a balanced headphone output.
It is just the nicest real sounding thing I've heard and still giving me grins from random tracks.

As mentioned I've previously used the X5 and X5II so just moved the mSD card over, mostly FLACs from CD but a few HD tracks, Only about 5000 tracks so no issues with library scans and started with the 1.1.4 fw.
Had a couple of app crashes but mostly stable, only used the FIIO app so far.

RM1 remote is something I've been wanting for a while, no more compromise with cables to get inline. On the whole it works well, needs waking to use after a while but does occasionally not connect/work. Getting the X5III out and playing with controls and RM1 tends to sort it though.
I've noticed the 2.5mm jack is a lot more loose compared to a 3.5mm one, had issues while carrying the X5III in my backpack as the balanced cable would pop out with the slightest tug when moving. It's fine in my pocket but may try to tie the cable to the case before putting in my bag again.
The Shures are fairly sensitive so I have picked up noise from the X5III when no music playing, switching off the Wifi helps a bit. I was expecting this from a Wifi/BT enabled DAP, I've had to separate X5s and phones in the past (i.e. not in the same pocket/side). Need to play more with this but I typically use the Shures while traveling so road/bus/people noise covers it up most the time.

I've liked the sound of the X5s so far and each gen has sounded better, first gen I added an A5 to get a sound I liked, 2nd gen didn't need the A5 so much and the inline remote was great as I listen to shuffle all most of the time and 3rd gen (with balanced cable) has made my SE846s even more super awesome and such live/real tone sounding.

PS One other issue I found was with USB, on my main server PC, with all the music, the X5III woundn't connected to the normal port I use for previous X5s however trying another port worked fine. This is with Win10, I think the non working one might be on an Asmedia addon chip and the working one on the main Intel chipset. So there is certainly compatibility issues with some USB chips when in storage mode (not tried DAC mode yet).

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #7,270 of 15,899
My X5 iii will no longer sync when I plug it in to a computer via USB.  It will charge, but the menu giving me the option to transfer files won't appear automatically like it used to.  Anyone have any idea what the problem could be?  Did I accidentally change some kind of option on the Fiio itself or my PC?  Windows doesn't detect the drive when I plug it in either.

I've tried several USB chords so it's not the chord.
what synch program? Have you rebooted computer? Is X5 set for USB storage vs DAC?

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #7,271 of 15,899

Hahaha, I am amazed with your luck. Hopefully after all the debacle you can enjoy your DAP when the right one come.

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #7,272 of 15,899

That's not the company that was acting like d***s to you on here is it?

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #7,273 of 15,899
I just have to get my refund first. Hope they can track when the item's barcode was swiped and prove the wrong item was sent. Otherwise, it's my word against them, and I could have paid £324, plus £17 import duty to Jersey for an ancient (Albeit mint) X5!

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #7,274 of 15,899

That's not the company that was acting like d***s to you on here is it?

You would have to be more specific, as I always seem to get bad luck. They have been great in the past, but as mentioned in the above post, it's my word against theirs. Just hope they can track everything.

I think you must be referring the two occasions I purchased a FiiO X5 2nd Gen from advancedmp3players.co.uk and they both went missing. On both occasions, they refused to refund me until they found out what had happened. The second time, I got FiiO involved and threatened them with their local trading standards before I got refunded.

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #7,275 of 15,899
  You would have to be more specific, as I always seem to get bad luck. They have been great in the past, but as mentioned in the above post, it's my word against theirs. Just hope they can track everything.

I think you must be referring the two occasions I purchased a FiiO X5 2nd Gen from advancedmp3players.co.uk and they both went missing. On both occasions, they refused to refund me until they found out what had happened. The second time, I got FiiO involved and threatened them with their local trading standards before I got refunded.

​It might have been someone else? It was a person in U.K.  considering the X5iii or the DX200 and in the DX thread the company rep was acting up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back