Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Mar 16, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #5,071 of 15,899

(Channeling Travis Bickle 
redface.gif
):

You talking to me?

But seriously, I assume you are telling me to reboot the device.  What next?  Will the device be bricked?

I did copy the zip to internal storage, and pointed the upgrade process to that .zip file.  Never unzipped on device or on my Windows box.

Still spinning BTW

Finally gave up and rebooted.  

Came back up, system says firmware was updated to 1.1.2

A little scary though.

Mar 16, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #5,074 of 15,899

Sorry about leaving you to hang,had to go  to work. Glad you got it going. Kind of hard to brick these things doing an update.

Jeez!  What kind of tech support organization are you running here  
tongue.gif

Seriously, it really wasn't that big of a deal.  Device came from Amazon yesterday.  I could have easily gotten an exchange if it had bricked.  Just would have had the 'broken new toy' expression on my face for a week.

Cheers!

Mar 16, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #5,075 of 15,899
Synching software?

I decided that drag and drop was super fast but ultimately a PITA until this device becomes more stable through updates. I've been having issues with artwork going to wrong albums, etc. Since I might have to keep reinstalling my high res music which is intermingled with low res files I figured that synch was the way.

So I'm trying to use Windows 10 Media Player, it's super simple to set up and painfully slow. Using USB to send files was a lot quicker than this process. Media Monkey seems pretty flexible but the interface is awful and confusing, too much info.

Anyone using other software for this task that moves at a nice pace?

Mar 16, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #5,076 of 15,899
Hi originalsnuffy,

When you hit custom EQ, does the volume drop or stay the same? Cause, X5 first gen used do the same and when you hit Flat again, the volume increases.

The volume does drop when enabling EQ. By a perceptible amount. Turning off EQ moves the volume levels back up.
There was a lengthy explanation of why that is one time in the X3 II forum. I think it had to do with potentially peaking out the unit at certain frequencies.

By the way, EQ is inoperative using DSD files.

Mar 16, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #5,077 of 15,899

Compared to X5-2, the treble is maybe a bit recessed, but it is very very smooth.

Mids and bass are improved in every single dimension possible though...

X5-3 is not exactly treble recessed per se, but it is really really smooth. Hard to describe as the treble is there and it is extra detailed. The soundstage is there as well and it is deeper and better layered than X5-2. Considerably so... It just doesn't bite. The whole sound is audibly different from X5-2 and mids and bass were improved a lots.. The treble is also much more detailed. IT just doesn't sound the same way. 

The sound signature on this unit is likely different than the sound signature of other DAP units people own.   I know that I had to change around my customizable IEM with
this unit.   Without going to a more reference style tuning, the unit to me did in fact sound more bass heavy; which could be described as "thicker".

Mar 16, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #5,078 of 15,899
This X5Gen3 is a great sounding DAP and I'm really surprised Fiio was able to make it sooo different than the previous Gen in functionality, sound, and UI. I definitely notice that it works well with all of the genres I have thrown at it so far (rock, r&b, jazz, pop). The special thing it does compared to the X5Gen2 is it doesn't seem as analytical to my music and helps to smooth out treble to help me enjoy all frequencies.

@Fiio, I'm only stating these glitches so you all can have an idea of number of impact since users have probably already stated some/all of these while using FW ver. 1.1.1.

Fiio Music App:
      1. Will freeze then crash intermittently while selecting a music file while another file is playing.
      2. Will sometimes partially allow you to select an SD card and not allow you to play a track, show no tracks within the folder at all, or will sometimes not even show any folders within an SD card. (Reboots will temp solve this issue but missing files issue happens again ) 
      3. (Cosmetic) the Home screen for Fiio Music should have the "Local Music" and "Playlists" enlarged and icons more noticeable, but maybe there is a customize function I do not know about with this.

Downloadable Music Apps (PowerAmp):
        1. My Poweramp App is stuck on "Poweramp is scanning library". I will try to delete and re-add it to see if this fixes the issue.
        2. Not able to use physical play/pause, fwd, rwd buttons while using Poweramp..will hear two beeping sounds when I try to press them.

Bluetooth and Wifi:
        1. Receiving and transmission is slow and will cut out so it doesn't seem reliable at this time for long-time use.

If all or most of these can be fixed with FW upgrades I may have to run away with this device, marry it, and have little Fiio babies. That is... until X7Gen2 comes along. Darn it, I'm trying to stay faithful!!   

Mar 16, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #5,079 of 15,899
  Synching software?

So I'm trying to use Windows 10 Media Player, it's super simple to set up and painfully slow. Using USB to send files was a lot quicker than this process. Media Monkey seems pretty flexible but the interface is awful and confusing, too much info.

Anyone using other software for this task that moves at a nice pace?

I tried MMW + MMA but like you, found it a bit confusing. Could get the songs across via sync but had trouble reading them on the player. May be my lack of learning curve as not familiar with Android players.

Seemed also that X5 could only see 1/3 memories at a time? Does the player not act seamlessly across all memories or was it just MM? Or, is that why playlists focus only on a single drive?

Mar 16, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #5,081 of 15,899
What is the recommended method to access a NAS using the unit?   I keep a lot of my music there and it would be great to access the NAS instead of the local SD card.

I use the Fiio music app, works well for me.

Mar 16, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #5,084 of 15,899
I can get to :"local music" and the SD cards using the FIIO music app. But I can't seem to access the Network within the app.  Perhaps a hint what steps are required?

Thanks.

In the main title page of the Fiio music app, select the green icon and it should give an option to search for server.

Mar 16, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #5,085 of 15,899
I can get to :"local music" and the SD cards using the FIIO music app. But I can't seem to access the Network within the app.  Perhaps a hint what steps are required?

Thanks.

The other option is to use the ES file explorer app which works quite well, select network in settings and it should show your NAS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back