FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Feb 12, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #7,066 of 7,088
It seems that I can't fix the headphone socket - the line/coax digital out is working fine. Normally I use that for my DAC/AMP (FiiO E12), so I still can use the FiiO X5-II.
But without the DAC/AMP I also can use it directly with my headphone (there is a setting to enable the volume on that output). But what do I miss when using that port? Only the in-line headphone control? I have read that it output's an unamplified signal - so EQ settings etc. are not working?
Unfortunately my X5 II is currently in China for scroll-wheel repair – with uncertain return date. From what I recall the equalizer is still active through the line out (it certainly is through S/PDIF out), and going by the X3 II I would say the output impedance is higher than with the headphone output, resulting in an altered tonal balance with the low-impedance Andromeda, while the HE1000se sounds quite similar via both outputs.

Mar 17, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #7,067 of 7,088
I just ordered an ifi Audio iDSD Black Label to take my portable amping to the next level when traveling (current portable is JDS C5). I just want to verify that there's no way to get a digital signal from my X5ii to the iDSD, right? I'd be interested in comparing the combined DAC & amp of each, but oh well. Comparing their amps will be fun enough.

Mar 17, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #7,068 of 7,088
The only X5 II digital output is coaxial. so if you have a Nano iDSD, no. But if you have a Micro iDSD, yes.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #7,069 of 7,088
The only X5 II digital output is coaxial. so if you have a Nano iDSD, no. But if you have a Micro iDSD, yes.
Oops, I made two mistakes: I forgot to include "Micro" in my post, which is indeed what i ordered. And also I somehow misread the list of inputs/outputs on the ifi specs page. I swear i saw that that the only digital input on the Micro was usb. Obviously I'm an idiot or read it too quickly, or both. Anyway, that's effin great! This thing is so GD versatile, and really seems to deliver very near desktop performance on the go -- I can't wait!

Mar 18, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #7,070 of 7,088
You’re not an idiot at all and your new DAC/Amp seems to be terrific. Enjoy!

Dec 23, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #7,071 of 7,088
Can someone give me a shortlist of IEMs for under about £150 that will work well with the X5ii?

I'll Google the reviews to see what sonic signature seems best I live on a small island, so can't listen to anything. It would help if they were available for Amazon.co.uk.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #7,072 of 7,088
Is Fiio X5 II suitable for highly sensitive IEMs? Mine are 15 Ohm and 109 db/mw, woudn't such a powerful output as X5 II be an overload for drivers?

Mar 22, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #7,073 of 7,088
I have bought a Fiio X7 Mark II and it's great - only 'problem' is that the Fiio X5 II is way more convenient (a lot!). I had the same problem with the X5 III. They all sound great and ok you can use Tidal which is great... but to use it as a mobile player, terrible! So yes after purchasing the Fiio X5 III and now the X7 Mark II I still use my good-old X5 II daily. It got a fresh battery and the sound quality is also good. I now use the X7 as a DAC and the X5 III in storage. Changing to Android, I understand it - but for just listening to music I like the simple, fast operating system in the X5 II (or the X5 I and X3).

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #7,074 of 7,088
Is Fiio X5 II suitable for highly sensitive IEMs? Mine are 15 Ohm and 109 db/mw, woudn't such a powerful output as X5 II be an overload for drivers?
Dear friend,

The recommended impedance of the X5II is 16-150ohm. But the 15ohm can work with it as well.

And here is the output level form. For your reference:

Output level 1>245 mW(32Ω//THD+N<1%)
Output level 2>436 mW(16Ω/THD+N<1%)
Output level 3>27 mW(300Ω/THD+N<1%)

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 28, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #7,075 of 7,088
Does this S mark in the back face mean that it has been factory refurbished? Got it used for 100$, works fine, so just curious

IMG_1063.JPG

Mar 28, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #7,077 of 7,088
By the way, is there a firmware version that affects sound towards more bright side?

Jan 8, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #7,078 of 7,088
Happy New year to all X5 owners !

well 5 years on for me and I am still using the X5ii 2nd Gen :relaxed:

I replaced the battery about a year ago, and bought a better Line Out cable to go between my X5 and headphone amp, and still very happy with the SQ, have been given other DAP's to play with ( demo ) and my ears cannot really hear a major ( night n day ) difference, so am very happy to keep using the X5 until it stops working :frowning2:

I only have wav files ( using freac.org software to rip CD's to wav) on both of my SD cards at the moment, but now looking at Hi-Rez downloads, DSD64/128 and ripping all my SACD's to ISO's so that I can back them up to SD cards and hear them via my X5ii and my K-1000 ear phones !

so would like to ask if anyone knows the max size SD card that can be used, I have some 1024GB micro SD cards, so might try formatting ( FAT32) one of those as an experiment, to put it simply, my goal is to have all my HiRez collection on one big 1TB card

Disclaimer - I did read this very informative piece by Mojo - so am aware that I will not hear any big differences between PCM and DSD vis a vis SQ
https://www.mojo-audio.com/blog/dsd-vs-pcm-myth-vs-truth/

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #7,079 of 7,088
I actually forget, but I believe I have two 512gb cards in mine.

Jan 10, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #7,080 of 7,088
Happy New year to all X5 owners !

well 5 years on for me and I am still using the X5ii 2nd Gen :relaxed:

Same here! I bought the X5 III and X7 II which are great, but the X5 II is so easy to operate that this is still my daily driver. Love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back