FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Dec 19, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #6,736 of 7,088
I do, just about every day. Picked up some 200GB cards for it, loaded up with enough music for a trip to Mars, and not hear the same song twice, lol!!
I keep looking at the X5 3rd gen, but really don't need it, love the 2nd gen, runs great.

I was until yesterday, i've had 1 unit's clickwheel break and my next 2 units the headphone jack cuts sounds out :frowning2:

Dec 19, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #6,737 of 7,088
Hi. Is anyone out there still using the X5ii as their main DAP?

Another X5ii user here. I have been thinking about a replacement for a little while but...
*My X5ii works fine and is in great condition
*A replacement would have to be a BIG step up to make it worth doing
*A replacement would need two card slots - my 128GB cards are rapidly filling up, and that's only really my bandcamp collection. I'm thinking of doubling up storage soon
*I have a Mojo and RSA Shadow, should they be needed
*I don't need streaming
*I'm not made of money :)

I think I'll probably have the X5ii for a while yet, even though I would prefer a better UI. I guess I could buy an X5iii and gift the X5ii.

Dec 19, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #6,738 of 7,088
Another X5ii user here. I have been thinking about a replacement for a little while but...
*My X5ii works fine and is in great condition
*A replacement would have to be a BIG step up to make it worth doing
*A replacement would need two card slots - my 128GB cards are rapidly filling up, and that's only really my bandcamp collection. I'm thinking of doubling up storage soon
*I have a Mojo and RSA Shadow, should they be needed
*I don't need streaming
*I'm not made of money :)

I think I'll probably have the X5ii for a while yet, even though I would prefer a better UI. I guess I could buy an X5iii and gift the X5ii.

X7mkii is the best direct replacement instead of X5-3, since X5-3 went for a too different signature sound-wise.

Dec 20, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #6,740 of 7,088
I went with a Pioneer XDP-100r instead but it too was defective out of the box :frowning2: I am considering returning and waiting but the price is really good.. $319.99 CAD.. Does it compare to x7 mkii? @Dobrescu George

Honestly, I haven't heard anything from Pioneer. They are almost non-existent in Romania... Sorry for not being able to offer more help. The price does sound good though.

I think that Shanling m3s might be a viable option, but since X7mkii is one of my most used daily drivers, I can also say that it is a great DAP, if you can find it at a good price (not exactly in the same price bracket as X5ii)

Dec 21, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #6,741 of 7,088
No trouble i have had some bad luck it seems
X7 mk ii looks very good maybe i will look into it.

I did really like my x5 mk ii especially after using x1 and x3...

Honestly, I haven't heard anything from Pioneer. They are almost non-existent in Romania... Sorry for not being able to offer more help. The price does sound good though.

I think that Shanling m3s might be a viable option, but since X7mkii is one of my most used daily drivers, I can also say that it is a great DAP, if you can find it at a good price (not exactly in the same price bracket as X5ii)

Dec 24, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #6,742 of 7,088
X7mkii is the best direct replacement instead of X5-3, since X5-3 went for a too different signature sound-wise.
I have the Teac NT-503, which runs 2 of the same DACs as the X5-3, and I love the lush, musical sound. Is that basically what the X5-3 sounds like? I have the X5-2, and love it, but wonder if I would prefer the 3rd gen model.

Dec 24, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #6,743 of 7,088
I have the Teac NT-503, which runs 2 of the same DACs as the X5-3, and I love the lush, musical sound. Is that basically what the X5-3 sounds like? I have the X5-2, and love it, but wonder if I would prefer the 3rd gen model.

X5-3 doesn't have the treble of X5ii, it is waaaay smoother, so it loses some of the impact and energy of the X5ii. some people will like this smooth and lean approach better, but my IEMs are ie800, so you can guess that I prefer a brigther / more neutral sound.

Dec 25, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #6,744 of 7,088
Very happy with my one and a half year old X5 II. However, when connected to a W10 PC as a USB DAC with the FiiO generic USB driver, the X5 II screen always shows the same bit depth / sampling frequency (24/48K) no matter which kind of file I'm playing (MP3, FLAC CD-quality, Hi-res FLACs way above these figures...). I use Windows-supplied Groove as a music player application. Is this normal?

Dec 25, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #6,745 of 7,088
Very happy with my one and a half year old X5 II. However, when connected to a W10 PC as a USB DAC with the FiiO generic USB driver, the X5 II screen always shows the same bit depth / sampling frequency (24/48K) no matter which kind of file I'm playing (MP3, FLAC CD-quality, Hi-res FLACs way above these figures...). I use Windows-supplied Groove as a music player application. Is this normal?

Have you changed the max bit depth from your windows driver settings?

Dec 25, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #6,746 of 7,088
Thanks for your answer Dobrescu George. I don't know how, as I open the driver settings thru the small FiiO icon located at the bottom-right of the screen and this is what I see, no place to change this parameter (see screen captures) Sure I'm doing something bad.

Driver-1.jpg

Driver-2.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #6,747 of 7,088

The X5II always shows the output bit depth as 24bits, even when the song itself is 16 bit. This is because the data is padded to 24bits before sending to the internal DAC and is a known issue. However, the frequency should change if you are using the ASIO as output in foobar player.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 26, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #6,748 of 7,088
The X5II always shows the output bit depth as 24bits, even when the song itself is 16 bit. This is because the data is padded to 24bits before sending to the internal DAC and is a known issue. However, the frequency should change if you are using the ASIO as output in foobar player.

Best regards
Thanks for your reply. As a music player i’m using Groove Music, that comes as part of W10. I’ve been able to reproduce any kind of audio format from mp3 to HD FLAC up to 24/96, but the FiiO is always showing the sane information:

899A00D9-D0B9-4E27-8BD4-117B09962037.jpeg

Dec 26, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #6,749 of 7,088
Thanks for your reply. As a music player i’m using Groove Music, that comes as part of W10. I’ve been able to reproduce any kind of audio format from mp3 to HD FLAC up to 24/96, but the FiiO is always showing the sane information:

right click on the Speakers

Click on Playback devices

Click on Playback

Right Click on whatever is highlighted as FiiO Device or Tesycon driver thingy

Click on Advanced

Click on 24 bits / 192 kHz format.

Other option is to use ASIO from F2k as FiiO recommends, but this other solution should always show 24 bit / 192 kHz and should be one of the better solutions out there XD

Dec 27, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #6,750 of 7,088
Thanks Dobrescu! Change done and working. Posting here is a real pleasure as you headfiers are so kind and helpful.

FQ-BD.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back