FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Nov 5, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #6,721 of 7,088
I've just been doing an A/B test against my X7ii and it stands up remarkably well. It was my first proper DAP after my iPod Classic, so it holds a special place in my heart.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind getting an absolutely mint X5, though.

Nov 5, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #6,722 of 7,088
Hi. Is anyone out there still using the X5ii as their main DAP?
I do, just about every day. Picked up some 200GB cards for it, loaded up with enough music for a trip to Mars, and not hear the same song twice, lol!!
I keep looking at the X5 3rd gen, but really don't need it, love the 2nd gen, runs great.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #6,723 of 7,088
I use iDAC (original) for most of my desktop listening, but use the X5ii exclusively when traveling. I'm currently auditioning the X7ii tour unit and am surprised at how well the X5ii compares. X7ii is more refined in many ways, but for me the incremental gains are marginal given the difference in price (i.e. I already own X5ii :wink:

Nov 8, 2017 at 3:42 AM Post #6,724 of 7,088
I'm in a similar position to you. I have the iDSD Black for home use and also have the X7ii. I must admit to asking myself if the X7ii isn't overkill for the Gym and the beach?

Even the X5ii is a bit too much. Maybe the X3ii with it's smaller size would be more appropriate?

Nov 8, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #6,725 of 7,088
I'm in a similar position to you. I have the iDSD Black for home use and also have the X7ii. I must admit to asking myself if the X7ii isn't overkill for the Gym and the beach?

Even the X5ii is a bit too much. Maybe the X3ii with it's smaller size would be more appropriate?
Have you tried to connect X5II through digital out to the iDSD? If yes, is it a big improvement?

Nov 25, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #6,728 of 7,088

Yup.

If I'm going to be in and out of the car I'll sometimes use my phone just for the ease of bluetooth connection. But for 90% of my portable listening it's the X5ii. With two 128gb cards in it I've got enough music in FLAC format that I can always find something "just right" to listen to at any moment. My Trinity Deltas pair with it really well, and if I'm not in the mood for IEMs my HD569s sound great. Last night it was Larks' Tongues in Aspic with the 569s on the couch with the lights dimmed, just killer.

Nov 25, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #6,729 of 7,088
In some ways, I wish I had never gone down the upgrade path. I've had the X7, X7ii, DX200 and QP1R. They all sound better than the X5ii, but that only really matters when doing a direct comparison. In isolation, the X5ii sounds just fine. With good IEMs or headphones, it's all you will ever need. Stack it with an A5 amp and you will be able to drive anything as well.

I've got an X7ii coming down early next week and some F9 Pro's on order, so that will be my main setup with the X5ii/Fidue A83 for the gym/beach/trips away and also for something different to listen to.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #6,730 of 7,088
In some ways, I wish I had never gone down the upgrade path. I've had the X7, X7ii, DX200 and QP1R. They all sound better than the X5ii, but that only really matters when doing a direct comparison. In isolation, the X5ii sounds just fine. With good IEMs or headphones, it's all you will ever need. Stack it with an A5 amp and you will be able to drive anything as well.

I've got an X7ii coming down early next week and some F9 Pro's on order, so that will be my main setup with the X5ii/Fidue A83 for the gym/beach/trips away and also for something different to listen to.
I have the X5ii and A5, keep looking at the X5iii, if only to get the AKM DAC in a portable, big fan of the "velvet sound". But I keep removing it from my cart, because I love my X5ii and if it ain't broke.......

Dec 18, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #6,733 of 7,088
I just bought it and I love it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back