FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Apr 8, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #6,511 of 7,088

I just had this (years-old) problem.  After trying

1.  Update Media Library;
2.  Charging;
3.  Hooking up via USB to my PC to see whether files appeared on the PC (they did);
4.  Swapping SD cards with my Fiio X3 to see whether each could read the other (X3 could after Update Media Library; X5ii could not);
5.  Removing both SD cards, doing another Update Media Library, then putting them back in and doing another update;
6.  Doing a "Return to Factory Default"
7.  Holding the power button down for more than 15 sec to do a hard reset;
8.  Checking out on Amazon.com that I can buy another one for only $234, and get it in gold as well (prettier than my titanium),

I finally discovered a Settings command called Reset Media Library, down toward the bottom.

It worked, and all is now well.

Whew! (and the gold one looked so nice!)

glad you solved it! that option was not implemented back when i experienced the issue. i want to believe it was implemented due to my report :)

Apr 11, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #6,513 of 7,088
  Dunu 2000 on the way.
The whole process is Marco Polo alike. Comes from China via silky way
on camels or whatever. Next month or so.
Thanks all who helped me to choose.

Man... I wish I could get a pair of Dunu 2000 or 3000... They seem great. But Romania is not that friendly when it comes to packages that come out of EU, and China is not a good place to receive something from... 

Apr 17, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #6,515 of 7,088
  Has anyone compared the coax out (for transport duties) of the X5 Gen 2 to the X5 Gen 3?

Its transmitting a digital signal.  There will be no sonic difference.  And yes I have both.

Apr 17, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #6,516 of 7,088
  Has anyone compared the coax out (for transport duties) of the X5 Gen 2 to the X5 Gen 3?

I'm pretty sure they have the same quality and sound 
biggrin.gif

X5-3 will be much better given its Android UI, touch screen and app possibilites, but if you're concerned only by the SQ, they should be the same thing. 

This roughly means that I do recommend X5-3 to use as a transport for convenience reasons, but if you're happy with X5-2's wheel and general feel, you already have a great DAP! 

X5-3 might work using OTG cables to provide OTG signal, but that is not coaux out. Still good to keep in mind though! 

Its transmitting a digital signal.  There will be no sonic difference.  And yes I have both.

Apr 17, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #6,519 of 7,088

With the current FW the X5-3 converts DSD to 88.2 PCM and will only transmit up to 24/96 through coaxial. The X5-2 does not convert DSD to PCM and can transmit up to 24/192 through coaxial. That's about the only current differences.

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #6,520 of 7,088
The software on this thing really slow when I'm trying to access the browse by category function. I only use the file browser, but still. I also hate how the volume buttons on the side are really, really slow. You can only go a couple clicks at a time, and then it will keep changing the volume if you click it a bunch of times after you're finished clicking, because it will lag and take time to catch up to how many times you clicked it.

Honestly if the Fiio X5 III didn't have only 4 hours of battery life, I would have probably asked amazon for a refund for mine already. 4 hours of battery life is appalling, abysmal. 

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #6,521 of 7,088
  The software on this thing really slow when I'm trying to access the browse by category function. I only use the file browser, but still. I also hate how the volume buttons on the side are really, really slow. You can only go a couple clicks at a time, and then it will keep changing the volume if you click it a bunch of times after you're finished clicking, because it will lag and take time to catch up to how many times you clicked it.

Honestly if the Fiio X5 III didn't have only 4 hours of battery life, I would have probably asked amazon for a refund for mine already. 4 hours of battery life is appalling, abysmal. 

Are you using the light / fast firmware though? 
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #6,523 of 7,088
  Light and fast firmware? I doubt it. Where can I download this?

I added it as a part of my review, but I am not the creator. I forgot who made it since the only trace I have for it is the link, but surely I'm forever grateful for him creating this awesome thing for us! 

https://mega.nz/#!Y0sDjSJL!xetgjoeQcDpFW4yzhnjj6ZtUGlxqyqQD-JQFUxlds2g

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #6,524 of 7,088

I added it as a part of my review, but I am not the creator. I forgot who made it since the only trace I have for it is the link, but surely I'm forever grateful for him creating this awesome thing for us! 

https://mega.nz/#!Y0sDjSJL!xetgjoeQcDpFW4yzhnjj6ZtUGlxqyqQD-JQFUxlds2g

Fixed russian language? I assume it means that it fixed a problem with the russian language setting, and not that russian is the fixed setting for language.

How do I use this file?

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #6,525 of 7,088
  Fixed russian language? I assume it means that it fixed a problem with the russian language setting, and not that russian is the fixed setting for language.

How do I use this file?

You install it just like the other Firmware! 

Don't worry, it is in English 
biggrin.gif

Copy the .fw file to the root of the card in slot 1

Keep power + upper left (I think it was upper left or lower left. It shouldn't be any of the right buttons. ) pressed until the firmware update process starts. Let it do its thing. Now it is lightning fast!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back