FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jul 23, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #5,476 of 7,088
Four factors have almost always been the cause of freezing and slow load time and lag:

1. The mSD card is not formatted as FAT32 with the proper allocation unit size. You should format the mSD card with the format tool in the X5ii's System Settings (before loading any music because the format will erase the cards).

2. Album art size. FiiO recommends nothing larger than 1024x1024. I would use 500x500, especially since the screen is only 400x360 in resolution.

3. Corrupt files, or DRM copy protected files.

4. Extra, unrecognized files within the folders that cause the device to hang.

Jul 25, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #5,477 of 7,088
1. The mSD card is not formatted as FAT32 with the proper allocation unit size. You should format the mSD card with the format tool in the X5ii's System Settings (before loading any music because the format will erase the cards)..

That's very true I seen a post on FiiO forums with someone timing the different formats from a PC and from the X5 and the X5 format won out in lower loading times.

Jul 25, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #5,478 of 7,088
I've been researching DAPs for a month, and a good deal finally pushed me over the top. A seller on eBay had a used ("like new") X5ii for $240. I decided to take the gamble, and bought a 200GB Sandisk card, total outlay of $320. My last DAP purchase was my 80GB iPod 5.5 in 2006, for about the same price. It still works great, but I'm ready to try something new with my HE-400s. I'll return the Fiio E12 I just bought, so that will help. I have about 12,000 songs, mostly ALAC and 320Mbps MP3. I'll follow the advice here and format the card in the X5ii before I load it. 

Sorry for the random thoughts...I'm just excited to be buying a DAP for the first time since '06! 

Jul 27, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #5,479 of 7,088
I've decided to move all of my albums into genre-based folders. Is there any disadvantage to nesting 3-4 folders deep? I may have to resort to genre > subgenre > alphabetic index. Here's what I've come up with; criticism is welcome:

80's
Acoustic
Blues
Classical
  1. Guitar
  2. Piano
  3. Ensemble
Country
Folk
Folk Rock
Jazz
  1. ECM
  2. Guitar
  3. Piano
  4. Vocalists
  5. Ensemble
Metal
R&B / Soul
Pop
  1. Indie Pop
Rock
  1. Indie Rock
  2. Soft Rock
  3. Album Rock

Jul 27, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #5,480 of 7,088

I've never experienced something like that. 

Please tell more about what is happening. 

Maybe you have very very big album art, that can cause lag. Not freeze. 

Idk i am having issues like when i go to sd 1 it takes few seconds to load and when i click on a music it takes few seconds to load and sometimes when i play music it says the time stamp is 0:00 even when the music is playing and i cant back out unless i hard reset it when the 0:00 happens and 1 time it erased my whole favorite section. This happens on my fiio x1 to

Jul 27, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #5,481 of 7,088
Idk i am having issues like when i go to sd 1 it takes few seconds to load and when i click on a music it takes few seconds to load and sometimes when i play music it says the time stamp is 0:00 even when the music is playing and i cant back out unless i hard reset it when the 0:00 happens and 1 time it erased my whole favorite section. This happens on my fiio x1 to

What format did you format the card and how?

What song format are you trying to access?

What size album art are you using?

Are there any other files on the card besides music and cover art?

Check these things are in order, as I posted at the top of this page. Any extra info you can provide will help others help you.

Jul 27, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #5,483 of 7,088
Is there any way to stop the continuous playback when reproduced by folders? I.e., that playback finishes when it finishes playing the files in a folder.

Go to Play Setting menu, scroll down to the Play Through Folders option and turn it off.

Jul 27, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #5,484 of 7,088
Four factors have almost always been the cause of freezing and slow load time and lag:

1. The mSD card is not formatted as FAT32 with the proper allocation unit size. You should format the mSD card with the format tool in the X5ii's System Settings (before loading any music because the format will erase the cards).

2. Album art size. FiiO recommends nothing larger than 1024x1024. I would use 500x500, especially since the screen is only 400x360 in resolution.

3. Corrupt files, or DRM copy protected files.

4. Extra, unrecognized files within the folders that cause the device to hang.

Can the X5 ii be used as an Android otg DAC or amp?

Jul 27, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #5,485 of 7,088
Jul 28, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #5,487 of 7,088
Something that I was unable to do with my X3 and now with my X5 2nd Gen is cue songs without having them play. For example, if I want to play a particular song, how can I have the X5 cue it up without playing it? Also, if I am listening to a track and I want to skip the the next or previous track, can I do so without the X5 automatically playing it? Thanks.

The song cueing problem still persists and I've upgraded to the newest firmware each time it becomes available. For example, is it possible to go from track 1 to track 3 without having track 3 starting to play automatically? Thanks.

Jul 28, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #5,488 of 7,088

Something that I was unable to do with my X3 and now with my X5 2nd Gen is cue songs without having them play. For example, if I want to play a particular song, how can I have the X5 cue it up without playing it? Also, if I am listening to a track and I want to skip the the next or previous track, can I do so without the X5 automatically playing it? Thanks.

The song cueing problem still persists and I've upgraded to the newest firmware each time it becomes available. For example, is it possible to go from track 1 to track 3 without having track 3 starting to play automatically? Thanks.

I think our only solution is to make a favorite folder and skip the track 2 if you want track 3 "on deck" while playing track 1
Someone else needs to chime in.

Jul 28, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #5,489 of 7,088
Is there a way to navigate to a folder and begin playback of everything in that folder (even if it contains other folders)? On the iPod this is easy, just press the play button. But, no play button here...

Jul 28, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #5,490 of 7,088
No, you can not start playback from a parent folder. You need to actually select a track within the folder to begin playback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back