FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jul 13, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #5,416 of 7,088
I just got my fiio x5ii in I want a good amp to stack with it. Any suggestions?? I just recently got my e17k alpen 2 stolen out of my car which was one of my favs in terms of bass and clarity, really loved that little thing but I'm wondering if I should grab the e11k or the e12 to use with my fiio x5ii. Once again I want somthing great in terms of clarity and bass depth.

I heard the fiio e12 only has a +4 db bass boost and the e11k around the same too. My e17k had a +10 bass boost plus a +10 treble boost option which were great.

Any one?

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #5,417 of 7,088
  I just got my fiio x5ii in I want a good amp to stack with it. Any suggestions?? I just recently got my e17k alpen 2 stolen out of my car which was one of my favs in terms of bass and clarity, really loved that little thing but I'm wondering if I should grab the e11k or the e12 to use with my fiio x5ii. Once again I want somthing great in terms of clarity and bass depth.

I heard the fiio e12 only has a +4 db bass boost and the e11k around the same too. My e17k had a +10 bass boost plus a +10 treble boost option which were great.

Any one?

I suggest no amp. 

Best bass, clarity, and smooth character is Fiio E12A. Very good amp, if you want a fluid, natural, and smooth sound. 

Jul 13, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #5,419 of 7,088

Any one?

If you liked the E17K, I'd suggest buying another one.  It remains my go to.  I have more expensive options available to me - but the E17K is the one I use most often.  I love its linearity and also the tone controls.

Jul 13, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #5,420 of 7,088
  Why do you suggest no amp? Also, I read that the E12A is minus 2 db in bass boost compared to the original E12 does the e12a still have better bass?

E12 is a power amp. Compared, the whole sound is cleaner/ well defined on E12A. 

Get E12 only if you have power hungry headphones, otherwise, E12A is the amp to go. 

I suggest no amp, because X5ii sounds amazing as it is. I don't need to add another amp after I bought X5ii, it's that good. 

Jul 14, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #5,421 of 7,088
I like to know as mentioned / discussed earlier post - Is there any benefit using Amp like E17K or E11k with X5 (2nd) ? Isn't X5 (2nd) 's Amp section equally powerful or same / more than E11 / 17 K's Amp ?

Maybe...E12A can make some difference due to powerful Amp module provided.. 

Jul 14, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #5,422 of 7,088
  I like to know as mentioned / discussed earlier post - Is there any benefit using Amp like E17K or E11k with X5 (2nd) ? Isn't X5 (2nd) 's Amp section equally powerful or same / more than E11 / 17 K's Amp ?

Maybe...E12A can make some difference due to powerful Amp module provided.. 

A3 (E11K) is pretty close to X5ii output (slightly more powerful into some loads, slightly less into others).  X5ii amp section is more powerful than E17K.

But to me the benefit of the E17K is:

• Extends battery life of X5ii
  • Adds tone controls 

That comes at the cost of additional bulk.

To me its more about features than anything else.

Jul 14, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #5,423 of 7,088
hi, im fresh owner of the x5ii. Just brought it home. I installed latest 2.1 firmware and now im listening to my first songs as i write. Two questions: what do you think about burning x5ii? Can i expect big difference over time? Second question: im eager to try dsd. Can you recommend me any albums?

edit: my ears are in heaven...x5ii+es10 headphones+rum+good losless tracks=Hifi

Jul 14, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #5,424 of 7,088
I just got my aurisonics forte's in and am listening to them with the fiio x5 2nd gen and.... OMG ... OMG is all I can say..these are easily the best IEM's I've ever heard easily and I've listened to the nobles, Nova's, sennheisers etc. I am truly blown away by the experience. I am a big bass head but I also like a certain amount of clarity and these definitely do it for me. They are a must listen.

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #5,425 of 7,088
I am having problem updating my firmware on the x5ii. It keeps saying "File not support" .. It's getting me frustrated and the website says pick a fat32 sd card like I have one just laying around.. I only have a 128 sd card. I have 80 gigs of music I just put on it and I dont want to erase everything on there !!

SOME ONE PLS HELP !!

Jul 14, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #5,426 of 7,088
I am having problem updating my firmware on the x5ii. It keeps saying "File not support" .. It's getting me frustrated and the website says pick a fat32 sd card like I have one just laying around.. I only have a 128 sd card. I have 80 gigs of music I just put on it and I dont want to erase everything on there !!

SOME ONE PLS HELP !!

get a 8gb card just for firmware flashing, that's what I did, and it's less than $10, I don't even care about the brand, got a knock off Kingston 8gb which is obviously a fake brand card, but functions when it needs to

Jul 14, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #5,427 of 7,088
and remember to format it in the X5ii.   But also note that Windows 10 may not recognize the form of fat32 that Fiio uses.    I had to reformat my cards in Windows 10 using another program in order for them to be recognized.

Jul 15, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #5,428 of 7,088
I had no problem setting the dac function on my PC with Win 8 but after upgrading to Win 10 I can't get it to work at all. I do the whole driver thing with the computer them set up the back part just like it says and like I did with Win 8 but it never works. Does anyone know what to do to get Win 10 to allow the darn thing to work? I don't use it as a dac a lot but its nice to have when using foobar and my flac files.

Jul 15, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #5,429 of 7,088
I had no problem setting the dac function on my PC with Win 8 but after upgrading to Win 10 I can't get it to work at all. I do the whole driver thing with the computer them set up the back part just like it says and like I did with Win 8 but it never works. Does anyone know what to do to get Win 10 to allow the darn thing to work? I don't use it as a dac a lot but its nice to have when using foobar and my flac files.

Did you download the new driver from X5 (ii) support page ? 

Though mine is Win 10 Fresh Install and driver work like charm.....never prompt for any permission. 

Jul 15, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #5,430 of 7,088
 Did you download the new driver from X5 (ii) support page ? 

Though mine is Win 10 Fresh Install and driver work like charm.....never prompt for any permission. 

I sure did and still it wouldn't work. I'm going to use CCleaner to get rid of everything and start from scratch later today.

I might just buy an Audioquest Dragonfly to use with my Nighthawks on the PC because its small and compact and also sounds really good with the NH's as I found out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back