FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
May 7, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #5,236 of 7,088
I've updated my theme pack to the new FW2.0.

From what I see there isn't much changed over FW1.27beta other than the dynamic EQ volume, which I'm sure many users will appreciate.

Here's the link to my theme pack and I've included the most recent USB drivers for Windows in the zip file as well:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qb34cigsv25pnxx/AACLQfTGqYc2yfIopanthp-ka?dl=0

beerchug.gif

May 7, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #5,237 of 7,088
  Hi, i'm new here. Should i get the x5 II ??
i'm currently using se215 with my android phone only, I'm wandering whether to get a DAC/AMP for the phone or switching to a DAP entirely
Anything that i should know about this one ?. Will the x5 alone and my in ear is an improvement more than Phone + DAC/AMP?
Or after that is there is still room to improve the x5's sound with another DAC/AMP plus premium cable ? 
How much of a difference will that make (DAC/AMP plus premium cable) in terms of sound or it different from people to people.

in short: 
I have LG G2  + a DIY AMP/DAC running on 9V battery + SE125

Asking :
(LG G2 + a DIY AMP/DAC running on 9V battery) 
(LG G2 + new and proper AMP/DAC )                                     + SE215
(Fiio x5 II )                                                                               
(Fiio x5 II + new and proper AMP/DAC + better cable)

Which option is better, how big or small the listening experience can change ?

Welcome, Chickifat

Do phones even have a digital output to use an external DAC?

If it doesn't you'll just be amplifying the sound you already have with extra coloring.
This would only matter if your headphones aren't being substantially pushed now.

May 7, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #5,239 of 7,088
Is there a way to find out what the bandwidth is with the chosen EQ frequencies?

Don't go all professional on us now... :p the filters on a graphic EQ may not even behave in a manner that can be assigned a "bandwidth" in the parametric-EQ sense of the word :ph34r:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 7, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #5,240 of 7,088

Welcome, Chickifat

If it doesn't you'll just be amplifying the sound you already have with extra coloring.
This would only matter if your headphones aren't being substantially pushed now.

I can offer some experience in this area.
I'm not sure about LG phones but using the Onkyo Hi rez player app on the I phone 6 you can get good digital out put through the Lightning connection. So I would check on this app for LG   It works very well and for $9:00 a good bargain. 

I'm using the Chord Mojo for the Dac AMP for both my IPhone and Fiio X5Gen 2.  I'm also using black dragon cables from Moon Audio to connect both devices to the Mojo.
The out put from the Mojo is really a stunning improvement over the Phone.  Also a big improvement for the Fiio . when output from the Coax connection. 
The Mojo can easly drive my MrSpeaker Ether C.

So I think the Fiio X5Gen 2 is a really great source player.

My two cents

May 7, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #5,241 of 7,088

Welcome, Chickifat

I can offer some experience in this area.
I'm not sure about LG phones but using the Onkyo Hi rez player app on the I phone 6 you can get good digital out put through the Lightning connection. 

Are you sure about this, Swinger?
I just googled to see if the output was bit perfect and can find no mention of this.
Is there a link?

btw~I stumbled on a McIntosh Player app...cool.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 8, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #5,243 of 7,088
Please let me know, 

Is it possible to

1> Native DSD output when this player docked over Fiio K5 ?

or it

2> then go back DSD over PCM (DOP) mode ?

If the Point 2 is correct then can we safely said that Native DSD decoding limited to the X5(ii) 's Headphone Jack ? Yes ?

May 8, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #5,244 of 7,088
What's the replay gain setting on the X5?
I've been looking at the thread and haven't found an explanation yet. Maybe I missed it.
Also, I've read an explanation about the lowpass filter mode and I'm still a little confused. So could someone dumb it down for me please? Thank you!

May 10, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #5,247 of 7,088
Can anybody point me in the direction of a guide to how to use the 10 band EQ? I'm finding that that for my Momentum 2 Over-ear wireless cans I need a bit more bass (not an issue with my IE80's) and as much as I fiddle with the EQ I can't seem to get it sounding how I want. I know this is a very noob question but my google skills are failing me here!!

May 10, 2016 at 3:29 PM Post #5,248 of 7,088
Here's a frequency chart that shows where most instruments fall within the frequency range.

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

Adjust accordingly.  The lower frequencies are the left-hand sliders below 500Hz.  Sliding those up will increase your bottom end, or you could also lower the right-hand sliders a bit, as well.  Just play around with them until something sounds good to you.

Also, here is this... http://www.teachmeaudio.com/mixing/techniques/audio-spectrum

May 10, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #5,249 of 7,088
Can anybody point me in the direction of a guide to how to use the 10 band EQ? I'm finding that that for my Momentum 2 Over-ear wireless cans I need a bit more bass (not an issue with my IE80's) and as much as I fiddle with the EQ I can't seem to get it sounding how I want. I know this is a very noob question but my google skills are failing me here!!

What firmware are you on? As was mentioned a couple pages ago FiiO decided to adjust the volume dynamically while an EQ band is being raised on firmware 1.27beta and the final firmware 2.0, so it becomes exceedingly difficult to isolate and hear the increase in frequency that you want when increasing the slider. Your best bet is to raise all the EQ sliders to max and then lower the frequencies you want to hear less. That way you won't have the volume dynamically change when raising a slider.

May 10, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #5,250 of 7,088
What firmware are you on? As was mentioned a couple pages ago FiiO decided to adjust the volume dynamically while an EQ band is being raised on firmware 1.27beta and the final firmware 2.0, so it becomes exceedingly difficult to isolate and hear the increase in frequency that you want when increasing the slider. Your best bet is to raise all the EQ sliders to max and then lower the frequencies you want to hear less. That way you won't have the volume dynamically change when raising a slider.

I'm on the 1.27beta.

Thanks for the tip, will try it that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back